E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jerking/Shuttering

03-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
xfrieddoughx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i/2008 bmw 335xi

Jerking/Shuttering

Hey guys, After not solving this issue I went with what everyone said and log it with MHD.Per doing to be completely honest do not know what to look for here and hoping the educated ones here do. I own a 2008 BMW 335XI(N54) Bought it with this issue and a few other issues and this is one that I cannot resolve. First off this is everything mechanically wise done with the car. Before my ownership and during my ownership. 
Before Purchase I found the seller that sold the car to the person I bought the car from, told me this information.Seller I bought it from did not take care of it mechanically.hence this issue.) 
Done around 50-60k 
New 335is clutch, pressure plate, and dual mass flywheel, guibo 
New brakes 
New transfer case motor 
New dealer installed turbos 
New water pump and thermostat 
Rear diff brace 
MHD Stage 1 tune 
Recalls/dealer replaced: Turbos, HPFP, injectors 

After Purchase: Done In my ownership:115k 
Bosch Spark Plugs 
Valve cover Replaced 
Valve Cover Gasket 
Oil housing gasket 
Serpentine Belt 
Coolant flush 
Oil Change(Liqui molly 5w-40)l 
Walnut blasting (115,600) 
BMS Dual Cone intake 
MHD Stage 1+ 

Here is the graph created using mhd and then datazap 

https://datazap.me/u/golden335/bad-s...2&data=3-9

The third chart is the one where I started driving and experienced the shuttering very badly and jerking between 2-3k rpms. I also included photos of each graph.would recommend checking the link to change values and see everything better. It also seems when the engine is warmed up more it does not shutter but it jerks a lot. I do also get a nice smell of gas into my cabin per startup. Then a burning smell into my car cabin after the car running/driving for over 10 minutes.No smoke coming from anywhere in the engine bay or anything that sticks out 
I have tried reverting back to stock tune and still gave the same issue. 
So, my biggest issues are that when I'm driving between 2-3k rpms I tend to have a bad jerking issue. and typically when the car is warming up or I go to start up the car after not for a few hours I would drive off and the car would struggle or shutter.ONLY does it once when I am in 1st/2nd gear going between that rpms range. after that, the stuttering goes away and for the whole time while I have the car off it jerks. The only way I prevent this issue (jerking) is by giving more gas when starting off in first. Had this issue for several weeks and now it's throwing a Service Engine Soon code which is 2A2C - DME: Mixture Control 2. 
I did do the ear to the screwdriver to the injectors to make sure they are all ticking and they all are. Not sure what this issue is and I am a bit lost. Any HELP would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Attached Images

03-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
Newb_bimmerE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E92 335i

The injectors may all still be working... I just replaced mine because one was leaking. I had a much worse stuttering problem than you did and had horrible smoke but your symptoms are similar to how my car started acting. I never did the screwdriver trick but I did remove them, reverse their hard lines, and put a towel under them and turned the car to ON to cycle the fuel pump. Once cycled, I got out and looked at them and confirmed one of them was leaking so I replaced that bank of injectors. If you do find out you have a leaky injector, you should probably change your oil and run some upper cylinder lubricant with your gas for a tank or two (I used marvels mystery oil). Hope you get this figured out.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
xfrieddoughx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb_bimmerE92 View Post
The injectors may all still be working... I just replaced mine because one was leaking. I had a much worse stuttering problem than you did and had horrible smoke but your symptoms are similar to how my car started acting. I never did the screwdriver trick but I did remove them, reverse their hard lines, and put a towel under them and turned the car to ON to cycle the fuel pump. Once cycled, I got out and looked at them and confirmed one of them was leaking so I replaced that bank of injectors. If you do find out you have a leaky injector, you should probably change your oil and run some upper cylinder lubricant with your gas for a tank or two (I used marvels mystery oil). Hope you get this figured out.
Wow this is very informative,I definitely should give this a try or do you think I should end up just buying all new index 12 Injectors?
      03-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
xfrieddoughx
Private
Rep

bump
      03-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
Newb_bimmerE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E92 335i

I would check them all first before you make that kind of investment. Just be sure to buy new seals for them and either rent the tool to put the new seals on or use the pen cap and tape method (I did this and it worked like a charm!)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
agustincuenca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i; 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
reset all adaptations, it happened to me after a walnut blasting. I had hesitations and stuttering between 3 to 4.5k rpms tried everything mechanically, still there, took it to my indy, he did all the resets, now runs like a beast again. I have cobb, so I can't do it myself but maybe since you have MHD you can do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

You never mentioned that you replaced your coils... I would replace them esp with the mileage you at. Problems like this in my experience usually end up being something very straightforward , once you figure it out, which is the hard part.

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0