E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Here it is... Full Non-iDrive to CIC Retrofit done

08-12-2015, 08:34 PM   #45
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

I just picked up a CIC system today and am doing a non-idrive to CIC retrofit.

I still need some parts. so far I have this:

-head unit
-display
-dashboard
-controller knob
-pnp emulator with camera function
-camera
-combox
-video wire from HU to display
-usb glove box wire
-head unit trim

What I am missing to my knowledge is:

-power cable to display
-cable from HU to controller knob
-GPS? (I have assist, can I repurpose)
-Climate control trim
-Shifter/controller trim

Can anyone point me to a good post on actually removing the center console and dash, with detailed instructions?

Also a good post on removing airbags, steering wheel and the levers in the steering column.

Here's three questions I have for myself. I'm going to look for answers but if anyone has an easy answer please help out.

How do I identify the clock spring and how do I properly secure it?
How do I wire up the power to the display? I have an empty blue clip for it already, I assume I need to pin something out off some other power source.
Can I use the gps antenna from BMW assist, where is it and do I need to put a new socket on it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #46
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake View Post
I just picked up a CIC system today and am doing a non-idrive to CIC retrofit.

I still need some parts. so far I have this:

-head unit
-display
-dashboard
-controller knob
-pnp emulator with camera function
-camera
-combox
-video wire from HU to display
-usb glove box wire
-head unit trim

What I am missing to my knowledge is:

-power cable to display
-cable from HU to controller knob
-GPS? (I have assist, can I repurpose)
-Climate control trim
-Shifter/controller trim

Can anyone point me to a good post on actually removing the center console and dash, with detailed instructions?

Also a good post on removing airbags, steering wheel and the levers in the steering column.

Here's three questions I have for myself. I'm going to look for answers but if anyone has an easy answer please help out.

How do I identify the clock spring and how do I properly secure it?
How do I wire up the power to the display? I have an empty blue clip for it already, I assume I need to pin something out off some other power source.
Can I use the gps antenna from BMW assist, where is it and do I need to put a new socket on it?

Thanks!
Ive done the full Non-Idrive to idrive conversion also like the OP. If you have any questions post them up

Clock spring is behing the steering wheel and it auto-turns off the turn signal when turning the steering wheel and then returning to center. Best bet is to center steering wheel and when you remove the steering wheel do not turn anything behing the steering wheel without first reattiching the steering wheel

Power for display (CID/central information display) is made by tapping into the correct wires behind the headunit.
4 wires:
Can+
Can-
+12VDC
-12VDC (ground)

Booster is a memeber on here. He was the pioneer of the non-idrive to idrive conversion. He made an excellent write up. Theres a pdf version of it on the forum. Makes doing this super super simple if your mechanically inclined and can solder. I opted to connect all wires as if the car came from the factory with idrive. Your going to have the dashboard off anyway so you might as well do it right!

Seafch in the connected-drive/gps/idrive section of the forum for more info and for the pdf guide. The pdf guide gives you a step by step guide. Shows exactly how to remove the dash. Then it shows you how and where to wire everything up, also goes into coding a little bit. Your basically just doing a VO(vehichle order) change and a build date change. Then a whole car "code write" using the new VO which configures each individual ecu to make sure everything is talking properly over the Can network and audio fiber network.

For the gps signal. You can either run a fakra extension cable from the trunk ofmthe car to the back of the CCC/CIC/NBT Headunit. The rest of the modules in the car will now get the gps signal from the idrive. Thats exactly why full vehichle coding is necessary.

Anthony
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #47
-June-
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330xi

Awesome, Nice to see another one pulled it off.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #48
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
Power for display (CID/central information display) is made by tapping into the correct wires behind the headunit.
4 wires:
Can+
Can-
+12VDC
-12VDC (ground)
Thanks is that the only custom wiring i have to do, is the display? Everything else seems plug and play.

Any chance someone knows what wiring harness I'm supposed to tap into and what the pin position or colour of the wires to tap are? Is it the harness that used to go into my existing stereo?

What does the Can line do? I would have figured it only needed power to it. Does the harness need a fuse in line?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #49
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Also I'm very confused about the cooling tube. WTF is that and does my car already have one?

Lastly can anyone get me the part number of the cable that goes from the HU to the controller? I know the part number for the sockets but I'd rather buy a cable instead of making my own. However if someone could post the pinout on each end of the cable I could attempt making one.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #50
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Also I'm very confused about the cooling tube. WTF is that and does my car already have one?

Lastly can anyone get me the part number of the cable that goes from the HU to the controller? I know the part number for the sockets but I'd rather buy a cable instead of making my own. However if someone could post the pinout on each end of the cable I could attempt making one.
You don't need the cooling tube for CIC, and you CANNOT buy that cable (IIRC), it would just be part of your wiring harness if the car came with navi, it's not like there is some plug on the back of the HU for the controller, it just connects into the canbus signal.
      08-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #51
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Great thanks! Think I got the wiring figured out now. Going to just tap into my emulator harness and see what happens. Will pick up the connectors for the CID and controller this week.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #52
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm going to be doing this retrofit tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if I must remove the center console? I have the new dash in my living room and looking at it, I'm wondering if I could just rock it out with the console still there.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #53
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
I'm going to be doing this retrofit tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if I must remove the center console? I have the new dash in my living room and looking at it, I'm wondering if I could just rock it out with the console still there.
When I did it I took it out but when I did it for a second time I didn't take it out and it was fine, so try doing it without taking it out.
      08-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #54
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
When I did it I took it out but when I did it for a second time I didn't take it out and it was fine, so try doing it without taking it out.
This would save me a lot of time especially in an e92.. Can you tell me, should I still get the automatic shifter out of the way? What did you do?

One reason I might consider removing the center console (and console at rear seats) is to route the rear camera wire and the gps wire from the trunk. In your opinion is it easy enough to fish the wires to the trunk without removing it, or am I better off to remove it?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 12:22 AM   #55
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Retrofit all done and life is good

qq; I was under the impression that my steering wheel controls would change functionality because the idrive version has the star and diamon button instead of the change source and air circulation button. But after retrofit these buttons behave like they used to.

Whats up with that and what are they supposed to do?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #56
glachhman2
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I hired OP to do this service for me and he took my money and never showed up. Filing a paypal claim today.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #57
Simpaty
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d sedan F30

damn, this is crazy! 4th and 5th picture are the proof that I would never get into such things! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #58
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpaty View Post
damn, this is crazy! 4th and 5th picture are the proof that I would never get into such things! lol
What if I told you that it's actually very easy compared to how it looks. It only looks like that between the time of removing the old dash and installing the new one, which is minutes.

To remove the dash you're looking at about 20 screws and 4 bolts. The airbag removal is easy as long as you have a 90 degree pick tool to remove the connectors. The steering wheel couldn't be easier to remove and reinstall.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 11:51 PM   #59
LEXiFiED
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 323i

I have manual climate control in m car and i can't seem to find any retrofits for idrive with the trim that allows me to do a non idrive to drive conversion. anyone got any ideas? I contacted bimmerretrofit and they say its possible to do with my current setup. but I haven't seen any with the manual climate control.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #60
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXiFiED View Post
I have manual climate control in m car and i can't seem to find any retrofits for idrive with the trim that allows me to do a non idrive to drive conversion. anyone got any ideas? I contacted bimmerretrofit and they say its possible to do with my current setup. but I haven't seen any with the manual climate control.
Obviously having manual AC doesn't determine whether or not you can do this, as you already understand.

Just look around on eBay. I'm not sure how you wind up with manual AC in other countries, or if in those countries there are a lot of cars with manual AC but have iDrive, I would kinda tend to doubt someone who couldn't afford auto AC would also get iDrive, making that trim kinda rare.

Either way, I think this is the part number you're looking for:

https://www.bildelsbasen.se/?link=it...st_id=29562633

That looks like it at least, could be wrong.
      01-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #61
hate2writej
Captain
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4 /E92 335i

Quote:
Ive done the full Non-Idrive to idrive conversion also like the OP. If you have any questions post them up

Clock spring is behing the steering wheel and it auto-turns off the turn signal when turning the steering wheel and then returning to center. Best bet is to center steering wheel and when you remove the steering wheel do not turn anything behing the steering wheel without first reattiching the steering wheel

4 wires:
Can+
Can-
+12VDC
-12VDC (ground)

Booster is a memeber on here. He was the pioneer of the non-idrive to idrive conversion. He made an excellent write up. Theres a pdf version of it on the forum. Makes doing this super super simple if your mechanically inclined and can solder. I opted to connect all wires as if the car came from the factory with idrive. Your going to have the dashboard off anyway so you might as well do it right!

Seafch in the connected-drive/gps/idrive section of the forum for more info and for the pdf guide. The pdf guide gives you a step by step guide. Shows exactly how to remove the dash. Then it shows you how and where to wire everything up, also goes into coding a little bit. Your basically just doing a VO(vehichle order) change and a build date change. Then a whole car "code write" using the new VO which configures each individual ecu to make sure everything is talking properly over the Can network and audio fiber network.

For the gps signal. You can either run a fakra extension cable from the trunk ofmthe car to the back of the CCC/CIC/NBT Headunit. The rest of the modules in the car will now get the gps signal from the idrive. Thats exactly why full vehichle coding is necessary.

Anthony

Did anyone find that Pdf? Im really lost as to the wiring for the CIC controller and for the CID power ... I have the two plugs/terminals, just no idea what to connect them to
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #62
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2writej
Quote:

4 wires:
Can+
Can-
+12VDC
-12VDC (ground)

Anthony

Did anyone find that Pdf? Im really lost as to the wiring for the CIC controller and for the CID power ... I have the two plugs/terminals, just no idea what to connect them to
I just googled it and i came up with a website hosting booster's pdf.

http://documents.mx/download/documen...dD46CUhA%3D%3D
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #63
hate2writej
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I just googled it and i came up with a website hosting booster's pdf.

http://documents.mx/download/documen...dD46CUhA%3D%3D

Thanks! I did not get this notification, actually another member PMd it to me but thanks for the help

I just finished installing everything into the car... Running an emulator...
However I dont get sound.
Songs stay at 0:00

Ive read that I just have to update the Amp?
Or is this because I need coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #64
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2writej View Post
Thanks! I did not get this notification, actually another member PMd it to me but thanks for the help

In my experience it's one of two things. 90% chance it's coding. You probably have the unit set to use logic 7 or vice versa. 10% chance you have an optical amp and left the circuit incomplete like I did when I did the retrofit.

Do you know if yours is optical or not? You either have two optical wires into the back of the CIC or you have like 30 wires.

Did you do a full non-idrive to idrive retro or just a CCC to CIC. I did a full non-idrive retrofit and I forgot to reconnect the optical jump which is by the drivers right foot.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #65
hate2writej
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake
Quote:

In my experience it's one of two things. 90% chance it's coding. You probably have the unit set to use logic 7 or vice versa. 10% chance you have an optical amp and left the circuit incomplete like I did when I did the retrofit.

Do you know if yours is optical or not? You either have two optical wires into the back of the CIC or you have like 30 wires.
Then i believe I have optical .. Not sure id have to look. But the emulator harness had a ton of wires compared to my cars harness... So id say i probably have optical. 2007 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #66
hate2writej
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake
Quote:

Did you do a full non-idrive to idrive retro or just a CCC to CIC. I did a full non-idrive retrofit and I forgot to reconnect the optical jump which is by the drivers right foot.
I went, no idrive.. To cic

Any suggestions ? I believe i have optical

Not sure what you meant about the "right foot" part

Please help :
Appreciate 0