Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New tires humming

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

New tires humming

Edit: after some more miles on better roads and rear seats upright, I can report that these tires are actually silent and nice with somewhat lower pitch than the stock size due to the higher volume. So, the higher pitch noise of my previous, stock size tires has decreased...

Original post:
I have brand new tires and wheels with a slight low pitch humming noise at speed. They are roadforce balanced which matches the tires and wheels to the best available balance. They said the right rear tire was only satisfactory, but they managed to get it to acceptable levels (yellow) by adjusting it to the wheel as well as possible.

I'm thinking it is due to the wheels being light and the tires are big compared to the stock wheels and tires. Have you noticed anything similar?

The tires and wheels are:
Dunlop SportMaxx RT tires R 275/35/18 F 245/40/18 and Apex EC-7 wheels 8.5x18 and 9.5x18.

Last edited by jippii ensio; 09-04-2015 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

some tires just have more road noise than others.

my current tires (bridgestone)are louder than my last set (michelin), and my last set was quieter than the stock(continental).
Appreciate 0