Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Itch for a winter setup. Scratch it? Mid Atlantic area, RWD, tire question

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
Itch for a winter setup. Scratch it? Mid Atlantic area, RWD, tire question

To the fellas who have experience with staggered/winters/rwd, thanks in advance for your insight!

335D (rwd sport)
OEM Staggered 18" 193s (which I love)
Philly area. Plenty of snow at times.

When they predict snow, I drive a Jeep to work. When a light coating or wintry mix is suddenly predicted, I race home to switch vehicles.

My brain tells me to keep the car in the garage for most of the winter (as I've had in the past). My heart (knows I love driving this car a LOT) wants me to buy a nice set of OEM wheels from a forum member, and put some extreme winter rubber on them.

1 or 2 Gents?

1. Spare the 3'er the salt, pothole damage, and from dealing with winters/summers. I spent money on a jeep for the winter, use it.

2. Get a proper winter setup! See below.

2A. Wheels: stay staggered? I drive fast and corner hard. I want the ability to get home safely in 1-2" of snow max, and also survive a wintery mix. So I don't need to cut through deep snow. Should I look for staggered or square?

2B. Rubber: maximum traction, I'm not worried about trekking to Killington in the 335. I want the ability to drive fast and corner hard... in cold conditions, so I'd want a tire with a nice shoulder. Pirelli Winter Sottozero Series II Run Flat?

Thanks for any insight.
Cheers,
Ryebread

edit to add: Gary's post helps a lot: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751200

Last edited by Ryebread; 11-13-2012 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

i run my 335i in winter, and i have a square set up for winter. but if you have a dedicated car for winter only.. why not use that? driving the 335i in light snow is fun though lol. if you get tires get a square set up. 225 width all around is what i have
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
i run my 335i in winter, and i have a square set up for winter. but if you have a dedicated car for winter only.. why not use that? driving the 335i in light snow is fun though lol. if you get tires get a square set up. 225 width all around is what i have
thanks for the reply, mate.

I was just looking for a staggered set, b/c I have a set of used 193s lined up, staggered. however, I don't see ANY winter tire setups on tirerack for staggered , only NO-Seasons.

Then I came back here and I see your reply. Guess SQUARE is the answer, if I decide to scratch the itch!

Cheers
      11-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
thanks for the reply, mate.

I was just looking for a staggered set, b/c I have a set of used 193s lined up, staggered. however, I don't see ANY winter tire setups on tirerack for staggered , only NO-Seasons.

Then I came back here and I see your reply. Guess SQUARE is the answer, if I decide to scratch the itch!

Cheers
np, im guessing the staggered set you have lying around is 8" front 9" back.. in which case you can still fit square set up on them.. ive seen ppl run 235s all around, on staggered wheels. only thing is that the rear will be a bit stretched. what size are the 193s again? 18"?

edit: actually found these;

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Z2N0&tab=Sizes

they come 235/40/18 and 245/40/18 if you really want a little bit staggered setup. the rears you will have to go up a profile though to 40 series as opposed to 35 series like you would for summers.

Last edited by abhishriv; 11-13-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I just put 225 Pirelli Sottozero IIs all around on my staggered OEM 162 wheels for winter. I'm really pleased so far with the tire noise (very low, especially for a winter tires), and cornering ability on dry pavement. They aren't Summer tires by any means, but I think I made the right choice for a dedicated winter set up (I'll be buying another set of wheels/tires for summer in spring 2013) for my 335i.

Hope this helps in your choice. I'm in the Detroit area, also. Where in Philly suburbs are you? I used to visit Lansdale with work regularly in the early/mid 2000s. We had a plant there (closed in 2010).

I went non-RFT with the Pirellis.
      11-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep

Garage List
abhishriv
Bronze
you guys have been quite helpful thanks.
especially abhishriv, researching and providing a link, thx!

I def don't want a 35 for winter. 40 is a bit better, wonder if I could go even bigger, to protect the wheel from crap roads?
why do they always repave the roads in aug/sept? they should repave in spring!

Bronze, I'm 30 mins from Lansdale, I can get there in 10. lol.
I'm a small town called lafayette hill. It's in between conshy/chestnut hill.

can't help but talk hockey with TO and DET guys. You guys must be pissed off.
      11-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze
I just put 225 Pirelli Sottozero IIs all around on my staggered OEM 162 wheels for winter. I'm really pleased so far with the tire noise (very low, especially for a winter tires), and cornering ability on dry pavement. They aren't Summer tires by any means, but I think I made the right choice for a dedicated winter set up (I'll be buying another set of wheels/tires for summer in spring 2013) for my 335i.

Hope this helps in your choice. I'm in the Detroit area, also. Where in Philly suburbs are you? I used to visit Lansdale with work regularly in the early/mid 2000s. We had a plant there (closed in 2010).

I went non-RFT with the Pirellis.
Did you get the v or h rated sottozero? I'm also looking at those.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm looking at oem 193s
18x9 rears
18x8 fronts

245 45 18 9.4"wide rears 100V
225 45 18 7.7"wide fronts 95V

I am not certain this is ideal. Just throwing it out there.

I have the option to use
235 45 18 9.0" wide rear 94V, as abhishriv suggested.

then I remember, my front right tire (oem) is wearing a lot more than the left, and I can't rotate (staggered), maybe I should go this route for winters.
      11-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
Did you get the v or h rated sottozero? I'm also looking at those.
I got the V rated tires. It's what popped up when I put in my saved vehicle (335i with sport package). I like the XL load rating that way if it's a wamr winter day and I'm highway cruising, the temps won't be an issue. H-rating is probably just fine, too, but I tend to look for the XL rating more often.
      11-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
abhishriv
Bronze
you guys have been quite helpful thanks.
especially abhishriv, researching and providing a link, thx!

I def don't want a 35 for winter. 40 is a bit better, wonder if I could go even bigger, to protect the wheel from crap roads?
why do they always repave the roads in aug/sept? they should repave in spring!

Bronze, I'm 30 mins from Lansdale, I can get there in 10. lol.
I'm a small town called lafayette hill. It's in between conshy/chestnut hill.

can't help but talk hockey with TO and DET guys. You guys must be pissed off.
F**king Bettman. I can't believe that guy and this league. I looked up Lafayette Hill, not far from the NE extension where I used to drive up to Kulpsville/Lansdale. I spent many business trips at the Kulpsville Holiday Inn.
      11-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
I got the V rated tires. It's what popped up when I put in my saved vehicle (335i with sport package). I like the XL load rating that way if it's a wamr winter day and I'm highway cruising, the temps won't be an issue. H-rating is probably just fine, too, but I tend to look for the XL rating more often.
Damn you just schooled me again. I'll need XL too. In winters here, these days, it could be 70 one day and 20 the next. And I fly on the highway. Thx.