E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help please! Downpipe Question

02-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
Infremo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Question Help please! Downpipe Question

Hey everyone. I have a 335is and I am looking at catless downpipes currently. However I notice that a lot of forum posts and videos state that the N54 sounds raspy with downpipes. I just wanted input from other 335(preferably IS) owners who have downpipes on their car, and whether or not I should get resonators!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
Brandicular
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infremo View Post
Hey everyone. I have a 335is and I am looking at catless downpipes currently. However I notice that a lot of forum posts and videos state that the N54 sounds raspy with downpipes. I just wanted input from other 335(preferably IS) owners who have downpipes on their car, and whether or not I should get resonators!
I have a single downpipe setup without resonators/muffers, and it sounds fantastic. The deceleration gurgle is intoxicating.

I'll never go back.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Op I'm iS and went catted, resonators in place of secondaries. Perfect for me, get no rasp to my ear. Exhaust note is subjective, some like just a tad of rasp on the high end cuz it sounds like an exotic car for them... To me not so much.

JasW
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infremo View Post
As Black suggests, it is subjective. One man's rasp is another's aggressive exhaust note.

I put on ar Design catless DPs and was overwhelmed by what I found to be rasp at 4500 to 5500 RPM. I deleted the secondary cats and replaced them with Vibrant resonators, and it made no difference at all (save for giving me plenty of stink and smoke since I was now completely catless down the line).

I replaced the catless DPs with Cobb catted DPs and that only helped some. There is still a metallic bite to the exhaust note at the 4500-5500 RPM range.

I've learned to live with it. Part of it is the fact that I have an E93 IS, so the top is down frequently. It may well sound different to other ears. In fact, when I hear it on video, it sounds different than live.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
Infremo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
Op I'm iS and went catted, resonators in place of secondaries. Perfect for me, get no rasp to my ear. Exhaust note is subjective, some like just a tad of rasp on the high end cuz it sounds like an exotic car for them... To me not so much.

JasW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
As Black suggests, it is subjective. One man's rasp is another's aggressive exhaust note.

I put on ar Design catless DPs and was overwhelmed by what I found to be rasp at 4500 to 5500 RPM. I deleted the secondary cats and replaced them with Vibrant resonators, and it made no difference at all (save for giving me plenty of stink and smoke since I was now completely catless down the line).

I replaced the catless DPs with Cobb catted DPs and that only helped some. There is still a metallic bite to the exhaust note at the 4500-5500 RPM range.

I've learned to live with it. Part of it is the fact that I have an E93 IS, so the top is down frequently. It may well sound different to other ears. In fact, when I hear it on video, it sounds different than live.
Thanks! I have the exact same car as you actually xD (e93, Le Mans Blue, Saddle Brown )
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

Previous owner has DP, straight pipes minus resonator and Dinan mufflers = way too loud for me especially during cold starts. I had replaced it with OEM secondary cats and resonators. Much nicer to my ears now. In my book not worth small HP gain unless you don't mind a loud sound and smells coming from your car. .. Replace it with a performance type of mufflers and call it the day!
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
335ISonMeth
Rep
Drives: Silver 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandicular View Post
I have a single downpipe setup without resonators/muffers, and it sounds fantastic. The deceleration gurgle is intoxicating.

I'll never go back.
I have an 11 is and was considering the 3 inch because of this video

Havent heard a single setup yet.

Anyone selling some dps or dual bovs ?
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

I have no issues with my DPs, i love em. The car sounds like an entirely different animal with them than without them and you can feel the difference in the seat of your pants.

No rasp, no drone and pure pleasure:

Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
bluescoupe
motorhead
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ISonMeth View Post
I have an 11 is and was considering the 3 inch because of this video

Appreciate 0