E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Lost ticket holder down front of dashboard

01-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Lost ticket holder down front of dashboard

I did a silly thing and let go of a small plastic parking ticket holder i was trying to attach to the windscreen. Unfortunately it disaapeared from view down between the front edge of the dashboard and the windscreen and I cant see where it went.
Whilst I was shoving my fingers into the narrow gap searching for the bloomin' holder I noticed that the gap between windscreen and dasboard is greater on the drivers side and also the dashboard is generally more mobile than on the passengers side. The dashboard was taken out 18 months ago for some repairs. It doesnt squeak or rattle but Id like to tighten it up if possible.
How do I get to the fixings to firm it up?
Also there is a side panel between dashboard and drivers door. How does it come off and would I be able to access the inside of the dashboard through it to see if the holder is retrievable. Ive got the footwell panel off but even lying with my head on the peddles I couldnt see a way up inside the dashboard to where the holder may be lodged.
If I took the speedo/rpm unit out, would that give me access to the holder?
Any thoughts ?
      01-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

I had a tax disc slip down in a Golf once once paid the £7 replacement fee then a couple of days later with the blower on the windscreen it slowly started reappearing so might be worth given that a try before removing anything good luck
      01-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
I had a tax disc slip down in a Golf once once paid the £7 replacement fee then a couple of days later with the blower on the windscreen it slowly started reappearing so might be worth given that a try before removing anything good luck
Its not gone down the blower vents but the gap between the dahboard front lip and the windscreen. The blower vents are set further towards the driver. - I can get a finger into the gap as the dash surface is flexible.
      01-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

The panel between the dash and the door just prises off. Use a fuel/credit card to get under it nearest you and not the door frame. There's about three clips. Don't worry, you won't break anything. The drivers side trim around the air vent also comes off really easily too. That might give you better access. Also, if you need to get the A pillar trim off so you can get into the corner that's not hard either. There's a knack to putting it back though!

I had all these pieces off about a hundred times while trying in vain to track down my rattle. If I can do it I'm sure you can. Some pics here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...03&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
The panel between the dash and the door just prises off. Use a fuel/credit card to get under it nearest you and not the door frame. There's about three clips. Don't worry, you won't break anything. The drivers side trim around the air vent also comes off really easily too. That might give you better access. Also, if you need to get the A pillar trim off so you can get into the corner that's not hard either. There's a knack to putting it back though!

I had all these pieces off about a hundred times while trying in vain to track down my rattle. If I can do it I'm sure you can. Some pics here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...03&postcount=1
Thats great Rich. Any precuations I need to take regarding the A pillar cover (air bags etc)?
      01-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Not really. The airbag is nice and secure to the A pillar. The 'Airbag' label covering the screw on the trim can be a bit of a swine to get off without damaging though.

When replacing the A pillar trim you have to engage a clip as you're sliding it into the two slots on the dash while feeding the rubber trim around it. I found it was easier to do from outside the car and looking through the screen. You'll know if it's right because you can compare how flush it is with the dash with the passenger side.

Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

once again cheers.
      01-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Did you manage to get it?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Did you manage to get it?
Nope , I cant feel it or see it - even with a dentist mirror. GOK where it has migrated to. Its not worth dismantling the car for such a trivial thing so we'll just have to see if it pops out sometime in the future.
      01-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport

As long as it doesn't rattle or vibrate. I have something rolling/sliding around somewhere in the cabin. Does my head in sometimes but f**k it.
RVF400
Appreciate 0