E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Custom Exhausts

08-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
hawaiianeze
Major Pain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335i

Custom Exhausts

Hey guys so I'm sure it's been talked about before but I want to reopen the idea. Sure we all know it's all best to just buy an exhaust from xxxxxx manufacturer and call it a day, but I tend to like to experiment with my little custom exhausts. Considering a lot of us run catless DPs we get a nice turbo spool sound and cracking and popping noises with the stock exhaust but I want more lol.

So... many may just say do muffler delete it sounds great, but the problem with that is that I feel the midpipe section is to bent and curvy, I was thinking to replace that with custom piping in the same diameter but just straighter to get more direct flow through the exhaust, but straight pipe is no good, too loud sounds so so. Then I've seen people who add dual vibrant resonators which helps quite a bit IMO.

So for those that are experienced with custom exhausts I was hoping someone could shine some light for some of us and say what the most ideal custom exhaust setup would be as far as having it the most free flowing, best sounding, and least droning setup possible. Things such as pipe diameter widths, resonator lengths, etc. would be greatly appreciated
      08-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianeze View Post

So for those that are experienced with custom exhausts I was hoping someone could shine some light for some of us and say what the most ideal custom exhaust setup would be as far as having it the most free flowing, best sounding, and least droning setup possible. Things such as pipe diameter widths, resonator lengths, etc. would be greatly appreciated
Isn't that what exhaust manufacturer's have been doing all along?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
hawaiianeze
Major Pain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianeze View Post

Isn't that what exhaust manufacturer's have been doing all along?
Yeah and many people I'm sure have tried to replicate it but due to different materials and muffling systems no one will ever quite have the same sound as the manufacturers, I meant this thread for people that have experimented with custom exhaust using all different pipping and designs to get a specific sound achieved
      08-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Mr.Sir
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

New here....

I've had a local exhaust shop do several different things with my car. And the sounds are all horrible. They've removed the factory mufflers and added some "performance" ones... Switched out the pipes from the cats back... Removed the cats and added the down pipes... Still sounded horrible. The interior cabin is no longer "girlfriend" approved.

As of now, I'm at a loss. My post probably didn't help since all of my experiences were crappy.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
hetzle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

It sounds like you want a complete exhaust system, like I did. I went with the AA downpipe+turbo-back for a few reasons:

-4" downpipe mates perfectly to their exhaust system
-Their exhaust replaces EVERYTHING past the DP
-Factory H-pipe is replaced by an X-pipe (flows better, sounds better)
-AA mufflers are deep, leave no drone whatsoever, but burbles when letting off the throttle and pops between WOT shifts

I haven't seen any other FULL exhaust systems offered by anyone short of Akrapovic, it's mostly just axle-backs. Custom stuff usually never sounds as good as a shop that built a whole system from the ground up and has had the time to tweak it to their liking
2011 335i sedan 6MT, 515whp/530wtq. Pure Turbo Stage 2, Motiv SST TwinDisk Clutch/FW, Motiv Flash, AA 4" DP, ER FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, Quaife LSD, ST Coilovers, BMS Intake, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzle View Post
I haven't seen any other FULL exhaust systems offered by anyone short of Akrapovic, it's mostly just axle-backs. Custom stuff usually never sounds as good as a shop that built a whole system from the ground up and has had the time to tweak it to their liking
We offer a full 3.5" catback
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

If you're running a tune and a downpipe you're definitely going to want to run a 3-inch mandrel bent exhaust all the way into the mufflers. You need to take in consideration of whether or not you can deal with the incessant droning you'll naturally inherit from running such a wide diameter piping. The only way to deal w/ droning would be to add some side branch resonators or whatnot. But a 3-inch all the way, preferably w/ an X-pipe would be optimal. The rear mufflers I would recommend simply gutting out the factory 335i mufflers and taking out all the internal baffling/packing. You'll love yourself for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
hetzle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We offer a full 3.5" catback
Well there you go, OP go buy a full exhaust
2011 335i sedan 6MT, 515whp/530wtq. Pure Turbo Stage 2, Motiv SST TwinDisk Clutch/FW, Motiv Flash, AA 4" DP, ER FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, Quaife LSD, ST Coilovers, BMS Intake, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
Appreciate 0