E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water pump failure after jump start (solved)

02-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #1
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i sedan (dior)

Exclamation Water pump failure after jump start (solved)

I was at the washer with my mother and decided to run the battery down charging the phone trying to order interior mods of course a friend jump started it and all was well. I got home and in the driveway (0.7 miles away) I went in the house then came back outside, but as soon as I got back to the car the fan started blowing loudly ... I got scared that it was the infamous water pump failure and turned it off immediately... The next day (2/5/2021) I decided to let the car run for around 25 minutes then ride to my friend’s house (3 mls away) and after 2 miles I heard the fan then panicked because I knew it was the water pump for sure. Got stuck in limp mode on the FREEWAY but managed to pull over and wait for it to cool before getting home (I made it safely ) ... Did the bleed procedure and got NO sign of it working (NO SOUND AT ALL WHEN DONE CORRECTLY). I left the car sitting until 2/8 when I had to pull the climate and radio at night and left the interior lights on thinking it wouldn’t draw that much power for 10 minutes and boom, no crank. In the morning (2/9) car jump started in the driveway and drove a safe distance around home to charge, no issue. Drove tonight, no issue. Tried the water pump coolant procedure that DID NOT WORK BEFORE but worked perfectly fine this time. Did the water pump not get enough power when my car was low on battery? Should I just straight up replace it? I have no way of knowing nothing since it is charged now.

Last edited by yonversace; 04-02-2021 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Get a new battery. The one in the car is about dead. It should be able to power the auxillary equipment for over an hour and a half. The stock E90 battery used in most E90 have 90 AH reserve which is over 200 minutes.

Once the battery is up to snuff, then clear your WP codes (all codes) drive the car and see what codes come back. Jump starting shouldn't necessarily harm the electrical system if you jumped it correctly. There is a circuit that supports the water pump that can become problematic that is tied to the operation of the alternator, but I'm not well versed in it as other people here are, like gbalthrop (george).

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-10-2021 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Get a new battery. The one in the car is about dead. It should be able to power the auxillary equipment for over an hour and a half. The stock E90 battery used in most E90 have 90 AH reserve which is over 200 minutes.
THIS. I can run the rest function in my ’09 E90 in the dead of winter (20ºF in GA) for 30 min, and my N54 still starts up immediately.

OP, suggest investing in an INPA / ISTA+ setup before ordering cosmetics. Will pay dividends.
Appreciate 0