E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Front ride height too high after new struts

09-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Front ride height too high after new struts

I searched and read a few posts here about how the ride height is higher after new struts and springs, and that it will settle down after some time. I installed new struts (and springs) and my front end is sitting almost an inch higher than it should. Stock ride height is 584mm top of wheel well to the bottom of the wheel rim. Mine is currently at 610mm, 26mm too high which is almost exactly one inch. Will this settle an inch? How long do I wait?

I followed the Bentley manual procedure for replacement, and made sure to torque the control arm and thrust arm bolts with the suspension loaded and wheels on the ground, driving onto a pair of ramps to get enough space underneath to access them.

Some supplemental info: I installed new shocks and struts since the car was feeling very 'squishy' and loose. I installed KYB monotube shocks in the rear and used a set of cheap complete strut assemblies up front that appear to be KYB clones. I got the complete struts because I didn't feel like compressing springs, and figured I'd get a set of OEM Sachs or Bilstein struts some time over the next year and take my time transferring the original springs onto the new struts. When I removed the old struts, I realized they're the original struts. The manufacture date on the strut was just one month before my car was built in 2006. 235K miles on the original struts. To say they're blown is an understatement. The original springs were also sagging badly, so there's no point in reusing them. Prior to replacement my front end was riding very low and scraped over every little dip. We'll see how these cheap struts work out.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Mine were shot so I replaced the shocks/struts and the springs meant to lower my car. It kept it at my original (still blown) rideheight after it settled overnight and is still about the same a week later.

Your shocks/struts are blown, and if you replaced them with the same specs all the way around of course its gonna sit higher. They can't support the weight of the car when they're blown which makes the car sit lower. So if anything, they'll be sitting at the "correct" rideheight now. I have no idea what you replaced them with so that's all I can say
      09-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post

Your shocks/struts are blown, and if you replaced them with the same specs all the way around of course its gonna sit higher. They can't support the weight of the car when they're blown which makes the car sit lower. So if anything, they'll be sitting at the "correct" rideheight now. I have no idea what you replaced them with so that's all I can say
Except I'm still 1" higher than the "correct" height. If they settle an inch or close to it, I'll be happy. I compared the new ones and they were the same length as the old ones except the mount that was collapsed quite a bit, about 3/8".
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
rocky25b
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi Msport

It sounds like your struts are not fully seated in the steering knuckle
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky25b View Post
It sounds like your struts are not fully seated in the steering knuckle
The tab is resting on the knuckle, there's no possible way for them to go down farther.

It's one of two possible causes: the springs (and rubber spring seats and strut mounts) will either settle, or being cheap non-OEM non-brand-name struts the springs are too stiff.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
axe127
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e91 328i xDrive 6MT

Yeah, I doubt they’ll settle a full inch. Agree with rocky25b, and otherwise it might just also be because they were cheap clones.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Possible you have a sport package car and got standard struts? Possible they aren’t installed right. Possible they are just poorly made aftermarket to the wrong spec.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

Is the spring fully in the spring perch on the strut where it's supposed to be? I just bought an e46 and one of the corners is super-high because the spring isn't rotated such that the "end" of the spring is seated fully where it should be in the perch. Not sure that would account for a full inch, but it's something, especially combined with the fact that it should settle a bit over time.
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
The tab is resting on the knuckle, there's no possible way for them to go down farther.

It's one of two possible causes: the springs (and rubber spring seats and strut mounts) will either settle, or being cheap non-OEM non-brand-name struts the springs are too stiff.
Just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, are you referring to the alignment tab that protrudes from the tube/body of the shock absorber?

(In this photo, the tab would be behind the head of the chisel/in between bolt holes on knuckle... Ignore the green arrow.)

If this is what you’re referring to, it should actually be in between the knuckle, which requires spreading it (with special tool, or chisel as shown).

Wanted to clarify this, as the way you said it makes it sound like you haven’t inserted the strut far enough into the knuckle.
      09-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, are you referring to the alignment tab that protrudes from the tube/body of the shock absorber?

(In this photo, the tab would be behind the head of the chisel/in between bolt holes on knuckle... Ignore the green arrow.)

If this is what you’re referring to, it should actually be in between the knuckle, which requires spreading it (with special tool, or chisel as shown).

Wanted to clarify this, as the way you said it makes it sound like you haven’t inserted the strut far enough into the knuckle.
Those tabs don't go into the gap on the knuckle. They face forward and rest on top of the knuckle.

There are two small alignment pins that do rest in the slot and they're inserted correctly. There is no possible way the strut isn't inserted fully in the knuckle.

I do not have sport suspension. Standard suspension and 16" wheels.

The struts are the exact same size as the old ones I removed with the exception of the mouny. The new mount is 3/8" higher than the old one, the old one had collapsed.

Also the springs aren't rotated. They are seated properly in their perches top and bottom.

My guess is the springs are too stiff. That's what I get for buying cheap aftermarket parts.

Last edited by lowrydr310; 09-15-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #11
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

When I installed my B12 pro kit on my car it took a few days before the shocks settled ...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Question - how did you determine the correct ride height? How did you measure yours? I'd say that aftermarket quick struts usually have one size fits all springs while stock springs have multiple part numbers matched to the weight of the car with all its options.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #13
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Just reread your initial comment, you said you tightened up the suspension driving up on the ramps, did you only get the front wheels on the ramps? I'd guess that if you do that and the car is not level with the ground, the weight and the ride height on the front axles will be lower and higher, respectively. That could explain why you have an inch higher ride height than it should be.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #14
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post

There are two small alignment pins that do rest in the slot and they're inserted correctly. There is no possible way the strut isn't inserted fully in the knuckle.
Thanks for clarifying. These are the ones I’m talking about, so as you say, it’s definitely inserted fully.

As you also acknowledge, it sounds like it’s due to cheap parts. Hope it settles a bit! Otherwise you can be proud to have the first E90 4x4 .
      09-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #15
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Question - how did you determine the correct ride height? How did you measure yours? I'd say that aftermarket quick struts usually have one size fits all springs while stock springs have multiple part numbers matched to the weight of the car with all its options.
I found a post on this forum with the specs for factory ride height for various options, standard/sport suspension, 16"/17" wheels, etc. You make sure the car is completely level then measure from the bottom of the wheel rim to the fender arch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Just reread your initial comment, you said you tightened up the suspension driving up on the ramps, did you only get the front wheels on the ramps? I'd guess that if you do that and the car is not level with the ground, the weight and the ride height on the front axles will be lower and higher, respectively. That could explain why you have an inch higher ride height than it should be.
Yes, and I had been wondering about this. Being on the ramps, the front isn't fully loaded as there's a lot of weight shifted toward the rear. It's possible the control arms are binding where they're bolted to the subframe, since those are the bolts I tightened with the front on ramps. I also installed new swaybar bushings while the front was on the ramps. I'm getting an alignment within a few weeks, and I'll have the shop loosen and properly torque the control arm bolts with the suspension properly loaded.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #16
fastboatster
Captain
Rep

Sounds like a plan, lets see what they have to say about the ride height. Might not be an issue. Afaik, ride height setting on Bmwe has to be done with sandbags emulating driver and passenger weight as Well as with full(?) fuel tank. So maybe an inch is good enough
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 11:22 PM   #17
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

I just remembered something else and I think I screwed up a key step of the procedure.

Immediately after installing the new struts and hand tightening the strut pinch bolts and control arm bolts at the subframe, I backed my car up just enough to put the ramps in place and then drive onto them.

I know whenever I lower the front of my car onto the ground after jacking it up the wheels don't spread out completely resulting in the front sitting pretty high, until I drive it out of the driveway and the wheels spread to their normal position.

How likely is it that me torquing the lower control arm bolts at the subframe in this 'elevated' state (it was loaded with vehicle weight, but not enough driving distance to let the suspension geometry return to it's normal static position) is the cause of this extra height? I just looked at some photos of a new control arm and the inner portion where it mounts to the subframe has a metal sleeve with sharp ridges on the edge of it.

This is starting to make sense. The rubber bushing inside the mount isn't free to spin, so if I torqued it when it was hanging lower than it's supposed to, it's going to resist twisting upward. Depending on how strong that rubber is, it may not allow the car to settle to normal ride height. I know it's not bearing all the weight of the car, but I'm thinking it could be a contributor. Only way to find out is to re-torque those bolts with the car properly loaded.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #18
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

The springs and the 'spring rate/stiffness' set the ride height. Shocks/struts don't set the ride height.

Unless a spring has 'yielded', it will not settle down to a lower height. The springs are designed never to yield.

Unless you've done something mechanical, for which you'd hear something like crashing when you went over a bump, the springs you put on are probably too stiff. Did they look the same as the old springs you took off?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #19
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

After retorquing the control arm bolts with the suspension properly loaded and after driving a few days, the front end lowered 1/2", so I'm now measuring 23 1/2" from the lower rim to the fender well. 23.5" = 597mm. According to newtis.info, 584mm is the correct ride height.

I'm only 13mm too high, HOWEVER that's assuming a normally loaded car with "2 x 68 kg on front seats (seats in central position); 1 x 68 kg on rear seat (centre); 1 x 21 kg in luggage compartment (centre) and full fuel tank." That's 225kg of total weight plus a full fuel tank.

I measured my height with an unloaded car and 1/4 tank of fuel. I'm sure if I loaded 225kg/496lb of weight plus a full tank of fuel it would cause at least a 13mm drop, so it appears I have nothing to worry about.

I kind of liked the look of the sagged front end, but definitely don't miss the squishy ride from blown struts. If these new cheap struts are as lousy as the internet says they are, perhaps next time I'll get a set of OEM Sachs struts and springs for the sports suspension for an extra drop.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #20
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Here is my car on stock 16s with Sachs oem non sport suspension - front and rear refresh, but reused springs. Been about 1k miles.

Looks like a 4x4.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #21
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post
Here is my car on stock 16s with Sachs oem non sport suspension - front and rear refresh, but reused springs. Been about 1k miles.

Looks like a 4x4.

Exactly how mine looks. And as I measured it, that's the normal height. I guess it looks so high because most of the other E90s have sport suspension and/or sagged springs.

That's my neighbors E92 xDrive parked behind me, and mine rides higher.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:19 AM   #22
Daytonawim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 LCI 3.5i 2012

I did the rear springs on mij E90 with spots suspention and it can around 1 inch up, i took Sachs springs for sport suspention. The old rear springs were defenetly shot. ( as most E90 rear springs are at our cars after 6 Years)
The front springs and shocks Will be replaced next year. I hope the front will come up about half a inch, so ill hope to get a little more free space under the car. Ill hit now every time a traffic Bumps.

The correct spring is also depending on the options of the car, there is an BMW tool where you gaan chouse options to get the correct spring

I have could not find some measurements of the car height, measuring an other car gives no useful heights because of the wear on the springs.
Appreciate 0