E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Moving to Seattle

02-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
kevintb7
Rep
Drives: 2000 stg 2 s4

Moving to Seattle

Hey guys,
Ill be moving to seattle in June, looking to get into a 335. From what I can find it seems the BMW scene is pretty small out there? Can't find any very active clubs? Also, I cant find many used 335s for sale in the PNW. Wondering what your guys opinion on that is, am I just looking in the wrong places? Keep in mind im used to the chicago scene where there are hundreds for sale, and 2-3 european car meets or gtgs a week. Am I better off buying one out here and shipping before I move?

Anyway, looking forward to meeting many of you, I am a DIYer, currently have enough tools to fill an s4 trunk(which is all I can have until I get a garage). Hoping to find a place in Kirkland/Bellevue with a 1-2car garage.

I currently drive a Stage 2 b5 s4, makes around 320hp/375ftlb, Wondering what your guys opinion on how I will feel switching to a 335? I plan on getting RWD, manual(a must), and will probably do JB4+intercoolers+meth eventually. You think that will be enough to keep my right foot happy?

Heres an old shot of my car
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
andybui82
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

hope to see you soon man! you will be moving to my area! but as for meets we try to have as many as possible. maybe during the summer we will be having more? you guys down for that??!
      02-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Sigma 3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few things

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintb7 View Post
Hey guys,
Ill be moving to seattle in June, looking to get into a 335. From what I can find it seems the BMW scene is pretty small out there? Can't find any very active clubs? Also, I cant find many used 335s for sale in the PNW. Wondering what your guys opinion on that is, am I just looking in the wrong places? Keep in mind im used to the chicago scene where there are hundreds for sale, and 2-3 european car meets or gtgs a week. Am I better off buying one out here and shipping before I move?

Anyway, looking forward to meeting many of you, I am a DIYer, currently have enough tools to fill an s4 trunk(which is all I can have until I get a garage). Hoping to find a place in Kirkland/Bellevue with a 1-2car garage.

I currently drive a Stage 2 b5 s4, makes around 320hp/375ftlb, Wondering what your guys opinion on how I will feel switching to a 335? I plan on getting RWD, manual(a must), and will probably do JB4+intercoolers+meth eventually. You think that will be enough to keep my right foot happy?

Heres an old shot of my car
As far as buying a car there the pros are the volume of cars that you have tpick from. The possible con is what do Chicago winters do the cars there in terms of rust. The weather is pretty mild over here not as much salt used on the roads. Just something to consider. Good luck.
Keep the B5 if you can. I have two and love them. When given the choice of driving my Denali in the snow or one of the audis ...its the audi for me. Besides you can park the 3 in the winter and enjoy both the VW/audi scene as well as the BMW's

Last edited by Sigma 3; 02-06-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
kevintb7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma 3 View Post
As far as buying a car there the pros are the volume of cars that you have tpick from. The possible con is what do Chicago winters do the cars there in terms of rust. The weather is pretty mild over here not as much salt used on the roads. Just something to consider. Good luck.
Yeah that is true, a lot of the 335s around here aren't driven in the winter though, personally I haven't had any issues with rust. And im a little picky, want AW or Black exterior with red or the orangish interior, 6mt, coupe, prefer navi, and not xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Chicks-Love-Bimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Welcome to the forums, nice wheels . I'm sure you will love the 335 as much as I do, I recommend getting one from here as the market for one has vastly improved if you're trying to get a used one. I've searched the classifieds and have managed to find many 6MT 335's with decent mileage and pricing.
      02-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
stadtjunge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

i got Blizzaks for the BMW for winter time and still choose the Audi over my 335.

/flamesuit - I also prefer the drive of my Audi to that of the BMW.
      02-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
kevintb7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadtjunge View Post
i got Blizzaks for the BMW for winter time and still choose the Audi over my 335.

...im afraid of that....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
jm3as
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

Quote:

*hooking up flame thrower connections now...*

lol jk

facebook.com/jmeasphotography | jmeas.4ormat.com | IG: jmeasphotography
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Hey guys,

Believe it or not, I'm a *HUGE* Audi fan (esp. S4 series). I did not intend on buying a 335i, except that the price was too good to pass up (335i, black, all major packages, great condition, etc). You can expect the 335i to be quite the performer. Though I never owned an Audi, the biggest change from my last car (Maxima) to this one is steering. The BMW's steering is stiffer than my Maxima, but not by too much. Absolutely no dead spot or play in the wheel; I always know what is happening under the car. This is also my first manual car, and I have to say that the car was easy as pie in terms of clutch engagement (just perfect, not too high, not too low). The clutch pedal is lighter than one would expect given the horsepower/torque. Someone else can speak regarding mods.

I suggest autotrader.com for tracking down 335i's in the PNW. Make sure you buy one within warranty (original or CPO). This is non-negotiable! Alternatively, you can buy one with the original warranty soon to expire, and then buy an extended service plan (I recommend Ford's ESP @ http://fordespwarranty.com .. and they cover other makes too including BMW for a lot less than BMW's CPO).

Looking forward to meeting another new BMW 335i owner (only had mine since the end of November).

Good luck!!

~Ben
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
kevintb7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
Believe it or not, I'm a *HUGE* Audi fan (esp. S4 series). I did not intend on buying a 335i, except that the price was too good to pass up (335i, black, all major packages, great condition, etc). You can expect the 335i to be quite the performer. Though I never owned an Audi, the biggest change from my last car (Maxima) to this one is steering. The BMW's steering is stiffer than my Maxima, but not by too much. Absolutely no dead spot or play in the wheel; I always know what is happening under the car. This is also my first manual car, and I have to say that the car was easy as pie in terms of clutch engagement (just perfect, not too high, not too low). The clutch pedal is lighter than one would expect given the horsepower/torque. Someone else can speak regarding mods.

I suggest autotrader.com for tracking down 335i's in the PNW. Make sure you buy one within warranty (original or CPO). This is non-negotiable! Alternatively, you can buy one with the original warranty soon to expire, and then buy an extended service plan (I recommend Ford's ESP @ http://fordespwarranty.com .. and they cover other makes too including BMW for a lot less than BMW's CPO).

Looking forward to meeting another new BMW 335i owner (only had mine since the end of November).

Good luck!!

~Ben
Thanks for the reply, this actually wont be my first bmw, I had a 97 Z3 before the s4. BMW handling is much better than audi IMO, but i just hope a modded 335 will be able to give me the same feeling I get in my stomach when I hit peak boost in my s.

As regards to the warranty, I have heard that they are a must, but keep in mind the car I own now(quite possibly the most prone to breaking in the world, a modded b5 s4). With my s4, the worst fear is that the turbos blow, as your looking at pulling the motor, and a minimum 2000 in parts, more like 5000 usually. Is turbos blowing a common issue in the 335? Also, I assume those extended warranties wont cover any issue like that if you have a chip?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Sigma 3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few things

Quote:

It is more comfortable. Its nice to have both and if you can OP I would do the same at least for a while. I drive my 335 for the first time in over a month. and I killed it 3 times!!! It has no clutch pressure compared to my Audi
      02-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
OkashiiKen
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT JB

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Welcome! Looking for a used 335 6sp MT was a little slow for me (was a little particular about packages, interior, and trim colors). Found mine in Portland. I'm new to the boards here, but it seems like things are picking up, especially as the weather gets nicer (beautiful this week). We're trying to organize more meets and drives.

As for Audi vs bimmer... this is the bmw forum . Sounds like you are probably looking for an N54 335 - with that engine there's plenty of options to keep your right foot happy. Driving a 335 is pretty different from your B5 - I'd do some test driving and figure out what works for you. Personally, I'm fine with the abysmal snow driving for the RWD feeling on sunny days.

20" Vossen CV2s | H&R Sports | Cobb AP | AR DPs | Alpine HID AngelEyes (8K) | Apline HID Fogs (6K)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
kevintb7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkashiiKen View Post
Welcome! Looking for a used 335 6sp MT was a little slow for me (was a little particular about packages, interior, and trim colors). Found mine in Portland. I'm new to the boards here, but it seems like things are picking up, especially as the weather gets nicer (beautiful this week). We're trying to organize more meets and drives.

As for Audi vs bimmer... this is the bmw forum . Sounds like you are probably looking for an N54 335 - with that engine there's plenty of options to keep your right foot happy. Driving a 335 is pretty different from your B5 - I'd do some test driving and figure out what works for you. Personally, I'm fine with the abysmal snow driving for the RWD feeling on sunny days.
Thanks! Im thinking Ill have the same feeling as you, plus i heard no one leaves the house when it snows out there....way different then us midwestern people (I drove my moms 530i to highschool in 2ft of snow, my dad had her take his suburban lol). Yeah I do have to go drive one to be sure, but im 95% sure I will be in a n54 335 by the time im out there, or shortly after. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Yeah that is true, a lot of the 335s around here aren't driven in the winter though, personally I haven't had any issues with rust. And im a little picky, want AW or Black exterior with red or the orangish interior, 6mt, coupe, prefer navi, and not xdrive.
you better look in NYC then too there are very few 6MT cars here or on the west coast. It took me quite awhile to find even a black/black 6MT

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, this actually wont be my first bmw, I had a 97 Z3 before the s4. BMW handling is much better than audi IMO, but i just hope a modded 335 will be able to give me the same feeling I get in my stomach when I hit peak boost in my s.

As regards to the warranty, I have heard that they are a must, but keep in mind the car I own now(quite possibly the most prone to breaking in the world, a modded b5 s4). With my s4, the worst fear is that the turbos blow, as your looking at pulling the motor, and a minimum 2000 in parts, more like 5000 usually. Is turbos blowing a common issue in the 335? Also, I assume those extended warranties wont cover any issue like that if you have a chip?
Actually most (good) ESP's includes turbos as do mine. I bought my BMW at a Toyota dealership, so I got Toyota's Extended Service Plan. Good news is that I can go to any ASE-certified shop to have the work done, and the deductible is only $50. Cost $2600 .. about $1000 less than BMW's. I have not heard of issues with failed turbos. I imagine that the failure rate would be in line with other makes.

If you're chipped, then the waters get murky. The law states that warranties must be honored even if there are modifications unless it can be proven that the said modifications are the cause of the failure/malfunction. However, it's plausible that if such an issue was raised, you may have to sue to get the work done under warranty if you're dealing with a stingy dealer. I don't plan on modding my car, but if I did, I'd wait until after the warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
kevintb7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
Actually most (good) ESP's includes turbos as do mine. I bought my BMW at a Toyota dealership, so I got Toyota's Extended Service Plan. Good news is that I can go to any ASE-certified shop to have the work done, and the deductible is only $50. Cost $2600 .. about $1000 less than BMW's. I have not heard of issues with failed turbos. I imagine that the failure rate would be in line with other makes.

If you're chipped, then the waters get murky. The law states that warranties must be honored even if there are modifications unless it can be proven that the said modifications are the cause of the failure/malfunction. However, it's plausible that if such an issue was raised, you may have to sue to get the work done under warranty if you're dealing with a stingy dealer. I don't plan on modding my car, but if I did, I'd wait until after the warranty expires.
Yeah I guess this is why I'm not worried about getting a car that has a lot of warranty left. Oh well hopefully I get lucky and find something.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Buy out of state. I have bought 2 cars that way.
Appreciate 0