E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > New battery time - help!

08-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

New battery time - help!

Worry not, I have searched the forum extensively for some of the questions but still no clearer.

My 335i needs a new battery and confusion rains when you enter reg in the plethora of sites - my logic is as long as it is same or better spec as well as the right type and size to fit then I should be good? Current is non-AGM 80A 640CCA so through Tayna (via ebay) have found the following two - although going to Tayna direct and entering my reg only brings back a Bosch S3 and no others?!

The first is 80A and 700CCA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110SE-Exi...QAAOSwcvtdQ9jB

This one is 85A and 800CCA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exide-110...0AAOSwiR5dQ1~8

Physical size wise these will fit in the space but are longer than what's in there at the moment (278mm as opposed to 315mm) - does that matter?

I intend to go with the first as everything is totally stock and I have no additional electrics installed. With that in mind my searching has suggested if battery is same spec then registering only is needed, not coding - first off, does same spec only mean the 80A bit as from looking at examples of coding you can only do increments of 70, 80, 90 etc (in which case both of the above would only need to be registered not coded?)

If that IS the case, is there a kind soul willing to help me out around the Leeds/Bradford/Skipton area to register?

TIA!

Last edited by jimpom23; 08-05-2019 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 05:51 AM   #2
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

The OEM ones usually last a long time

Get a quote from on here from CotswoldBMW

The AGM battery has a lot to do and is an important part of modern BMW's, so I'd get one from BMW - it may cost you £30 more, but I have a 2011 car still on the original AGM battery

Read up on how to fit it, (a battery saver), otherwise you may loose your "settings"

Read up on how to "register" the thing - some say that if it is replaced with like for like, there is no need to register - BUT the ECU is supposed to be "smart" so is charging your current battery at the rate it needs for it's condition/age - obviously a new battery will/may need a different charge rate, so that's the "why you need to register" bit

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 08-06-2019 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 06:04 AM   #3
Diawal91
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
The OEM ones usually last a long time

Get a quote from on here from CotswoldBMW

The AGM battery has a lot to do and is an important part of modern BMW's, so I'd get one from BMW - it may cost you £30 more, but I have a 2011 car still on the original AGM battery

Read up on how to fit it, (a battery saver), otherwise you may loose your "settings"

Read up on how to "register" the thing - some say that if it is replaced with like for like, there is no need to register - BUT the ECU is supposed to be "smart" so is charging your current battery at the rate it needs for it's condition/age - obviously a new battery will/may need a different charge rate, so that's the "why you need to register" bit
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

I think I had a quote from local BMW for £450 odd, fitted. I bought battery from advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk. At £155 it wasn't cheap but was a little stronger than the original. It was an AGM 019. So far has been excellent (2 months). In that time I only did about 200 miles and then went away for 5 weeks. Car started no problem on return. I installed it myself which was time consuming. Like so many things, I could do it much quicker now I have done it once. I registered the new battery using Carly (a friend has carly for his BMW so used that). Overall very happy and saved a lot of money. Oh, the battery has a 5 year guarantee.