E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 318i ED Fuel Consumption

11-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #23
jamesno1
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i m sport manual

Garage List
I also have a 318i ED and it currently displays 31.7mpg on the OBC. It has also been in the garage 6 times now for an engine misfire which they cant seem to fix but more worryingly they wont admit that there is a misfire, even although i have taken a technician out in the car and pointed the fault out to him!! Maybe some of you guys may have any ideas whats causing the problem? i have had the software update which did improve the car but it s still not right.......
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #24
gerbil_b
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Skoda Octavia DSG TDi

Garage List
2008 318i  [0.00]
2006 Hyundai Coupe  [0.00]
Well i must be lucky, i have a 318i SE (143bhp) and have had no problems except 1 recall. I am averaging 36mpg right now and on the Isle of Lewis that is pretty good. I am delighted with the car and 4kg/m C02 is not a major concern for me. I am only 21 so insurance is fine and its very cheap to run compared to my previous highly modified cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #25
oldnail
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesno1 View Post
I also have a 318i ED and it currently displays 31.7mpg on the OBC. It has also been in the garage 6 times now for an engine misfire which they cant seem to fix but more worryingly they wont admit that there is a misfire, even although i have taken a technician out in the car and pointed the fault out to him!! Maybe some of you guys may have any ideas whats causing the problem? i have had the software update which did improve the car but it s still not right.......
I can't offer a lot of advice other than keep taking it back to the dealer. It took a while for me to convince the dealer that my car had a misfire. It was only when it got really bad (it was misfiring whilst sitting at idle which you could hear really plainly) that they identified the problem and fixed it. It sounds like you've a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #26
jamesno1
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i m sport manual

Garage List
thanks oldnail

i have now asked to reject the car, not because i want rid but maybe this will give them a kick up the arse to fix it, and also i got an engine management light come on temporarily today so maybe this will help get things moving.

im sick of BMWs, this is my fourth and most probably last.....going to do my homework better next time and choose a car that isnt overpriced/overrated and actually does what it says on the tin
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

All modern cars have problems.
Try and Audi if you want loads of grief!!

Anyway, If you had got the car in the spring and been driving it over the summer I bet you would have seen a much better mpg.

My A6 3.2fsi petrol has gone from a 27mpg average down to 23mpg at the moment, the cold weather is killing the average on sub 10 mile journeys.
My 123d has gone from 48mpg to 39mpg, cold weather hurts diesels even more.

How many miles did your 320i have and how many has the 318i got??
The gearing is different on the 318i isn't it?? i'm sure the final drive ratio is bigger on the 320i, meaning sat at 75mph the 320i is more efficient by around 10%, however at 56mph they are about even, and this is the speed they sit out to work out MPG.

Try resetting the OBC one morning when the car is up to temp and you are cruising on the motorway and see what you get by the time you arrive at work, this will give you an idea of summer figures.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #28
E90_Notts
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 318i SE

I've been doing pure inner-city driving (constant start-stop) in my 318i, it averages around 25mpg. I put in £15 (105.9p a litre) & I get 80 miles out of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #29
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
All modern cars have problems.
Try and Audi if you want loads of grief!!

Anyway, If you had got the car in the spring and been driving it over the summer I bet you would have seen a much better mpg.

My A6 3.2fsi petrol has gone from a 27mpg average down to 23mpg at the moment, the cold weather is killing the average on sub 10 mile journeys.
My 123d has gone from 48mpg to 39mpg, cold weather hurts diesels even more.

How many miles did your 320i have and how many has the 318i got??
The gearing is different on the 318i isn't it?? i'm sure the final drive ratio is bigger on the 320i, meaning sat at 75mph the 320i is more efficient by around 10%, however at 56mph they are about even, and this is the speed they sit out to work out MPG.

Try resetting the OBC one morning when the car is up to temp and you are cruising on the motorway and see what you get by the time you arrive at work, this will give you an idea of summer figures.
I bought the 320i with 2,500 miles on it and sold it with 29,000 miles on it, the 318i currently has 5,500 miles on it.

I haven't checked the gearing but I do wish that my daily commute would include the possibility of a 75mph test . It's certainly something I'll check out and I will give your OBC test a go too. Thanks!

Just as a contrast, the other car that I have access to is a Mk6 Golf 2.0 TDI (110), it was bought 1 month after the BMW. I filled the BMW and VW up today and calculated the mpg.

VW - 46 litres to fill up - 553 miles on the trip computer = approx 54 mpg
BMW - 47 litres to fill up - 318 miles on the trip computer = approx 31 mpg

They both do similar journeys, although the VW does one longer run at the weekend (purely because it is so much more economical).

With the exception of handling (where the BMW is superior) there's not much to choose between them (VW has been trouble free, and, as you would expect from a diesel, superior low down performance), but the potential of a 20+ mpg improvement is getting more difficult to ignore in the current financial climate!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #30
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

To be fair though mate, if you had bought the 316d (BMW 114bhp 2.0 diesel) BMW you would be seeing the same, you're comparing apples with sauerkraut.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #31
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
To be fair though mate, if you had bought the 316d (BMW 114bhp 2.0 diesel) BMW you would be seeing the same, you're comparing apples with sauerkraut.
I agree 100% - my annoyance really is the fact that I bought the 318i on the premise that it would be more economical than the 320i it replaced (based on comparing CO2 and fuel economy figures) and it has proved to be no different.

The 316d definitely looks more like my type of car, would be very tempted indeed!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #32
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Bought my 118d ED a couple of days before this cold snap, easily returned 50mpg on my usual route

Cold snap has reduced this to 42mpg - same thing has happened with my wifes 120d
      12-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #33
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

yep my 330d has dropped from 37mpg to 30mpg in this cold weather.

But your 318i seems poor and as Gizze said, unlikely to be significant difference compared to a 320.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #34
oldnail
Private
Rep

Quote:
I managed to give this a go yesterday afternoon. I wasn't able to experiment with my journey to or from work, but I did get some indication of what sort of economy the engine is capable of.

I warmed the engine up with a 15 mile motorway run in one direction and then, turned around, reset the OBC and did the same 15 miles of motorway in the other direction.

I set the cruise control to 70mph and managed to travel approximately 14 miles before I had to touch it. I spent the last mile before leaving the motorway travelling at around 45mph (no cruise control). When I exited the motorway I drove back home which is approximately 2 miles of urban driving. The outside temperature was 1.5 degrees centigrade.

In terms of gradients, the motorway has both a long up-hill and down-hill section with the rest of it pretty flat. Both the junction to come onto the motorway and leave the motorway are down-hill, the first one about half a mile long and the second one about 100 yards long.

As I exited the motorway, the OBC figures peaked at 57.6mpg and by the time I got home the reading was down to 53.3 mpg.

I have to say that, although I am disappointed with my day-to-day mpg, I'm very impressed with the fuel economy achieved on yesterday's run (albeit under pretty ideal conditions).

It compares favourably with my E46 318i which used to return around 43-44mpg on long trips (Stranraer to Birmingham).

I just need to figure out how to translate some of this economy to my daily work run!
Appreciate 0