E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > The end to all Bluetooth Audio streaming threads

04-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #221
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
You have the base radio and your Tune2air still allows you to skip tracks through your steering wheel and you have display info? I imagine that you have an Iphone? Do you have a Mulf unit in the trunk or?
Yes, iPhone, and Tune2Air lets me use the steering wheel controls for up and down tracks and volume control (not related anyway). I don't have the MOST system (Base stereo)...I think what I have is called a TCU that's on the right side under the top side of the lift up panel where the used to be a spare in previous models (but 2010 they went with runflats).

But on to my questions about getting that better signal to the head unit or past it...my understanding is the AUX in is terrible compared to other inputs. So it works for now while I'm still stock BASE STEREO audio and crap to play it on, but looking to upgrade the speakers without changing the head unit.

Along with my previous post, also seen how some have used a version of mobridge in place of the "CD Changer" or SAT option, but not sure if there is actually an input for that in my 2011 LCI 328i base stereo (or if the connection is physically there and has to be coded in). Also wasn't sure if the MOST connection was required for those types of setups.
Quote:
Quote:
You have the base radio and your Tune2air still allows you to skip tracks through your steering wheel and you have display info? I imagine that you have an Iphone? Do you have a Mulf unit in the trunk or?
Yes, iPhone, and Tune2Air lets me use the steering wheel controls for up and down tracks and volume control (not related anyway). I don't have the MOST system (Base stereo)...I think what I have is called a TCU that's on the right side under the top side of the lift up panel where the used to be a spare in previous models (but 2010 they went with runflats).

But on to my questions about getting that better signal to the head unit or past it...my understanding is the AUX in is terrible compared to other inputs. So it works for now while I'm still stock BASE STEREO audio and crap to play it on, but looking to upgrade the speakers without changing the head unit.

Along with my previous post, also seen how some have used a version of mobridge in place of the "CD Changer" or SAT option, but not sure if there is actually an input for that in my 2011 LCI 328i base stereo (or if the connection is physically there and has to be coded in). Also wasn't sure if the MOST connection was required for those types of setups.
I have the most system with logic 7 and I also have a tcu. The mobridge is like the grom unit, I never thought of coding it against the SAT option, that would be better since I'd like to retain my cd player just in case if I were to ever get one of those units, I'd like to keep my stock HU.. What options do you have in your base stereo? If you have a tcu like mine I would imagine you'd have Bluetooth for calls and the SAT option available somehow with coding ( I may be wrong) You don't have idrive either correct?

I run a Bluetooth receiver into the aux and the Bluetooth receiver has buttons on it to skip tracks but the audio quality is low, if I hook my phone directly to the aux port then I get the same sound quality as radio/CD.. I'm looking for an amp to boost the signal to make the volume louder from the Bluetooth receiver but I'm on the fence about purchasing the unit (it's called sound shocker pro).

You shouldn't have any issues upgrading your speakers without changing your head unit. Your speakers are driven from the HU unless you have an amp, then the HU supplies power to the amp and the amp powers your speakers which you can still simply upgrade your speakers for better sound quality.
      04-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #222
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
I have the most system with logic 7 and I also have a tcu. The mobridge is like the grom unit, I never thought of coding it against the SAT option, that would be better since I'd like to retain my cd player just in case if I were to ever get one of those units, I'd like to keep my stock HU.. What options do you have in your base stereo? If you have a tcu like mine I would imagine you'd have Bluetooth for calls and the SAT option available somehow with coding ( I may be wrong) You don't have idrive either correct?

I run a Bluetooth receiver into the aux and the Bluetooth receiver has buttons on it to skip tracks but the audio quality is low, if I hook my phone directly to the aux port then I get the same sound quality as radio/CD.. I'm looking for an amp to boost the signal to make the volume louder from the Bluetooth receiver but I'm on the fence about purchasing the unit (it's called sound shocker pro).

You shouldn't have any issues upgrading your speakers without changing your head unit. Your speakers are driven from the HU unless you have an amp, then the HU supplies power to the amp and the amp powers your speakers which you can still simply upgrade your speakers for better sound quality.
I currently run my Tune2Air Bovee in the same manner. It allows steering wheel control and I get the data on the radio screen. However, as you say, the limitation is first the DAC of the Tune2Air, and then the AUX input itself. I have the setup you describe with built in Bluetooth calling (only).

However, when upgrading I've been looking at ways to get a bluetooth audio receiver/DAP that communicates with the stock deck. Then out to an amp and all the standard analogue stuff.

Interesting unit, that sound shocker pro. But is it just to get the line levels up? Wouldn't you introduce noise at each level?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #223
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Quote:

I currently run my Tune2Air Bovee in the same manner. It allows steering wheel control and I get the data on the radio screen. However, as you say, the limitation is first the DAC of the Tune2Air, and then the AUX input itself. I have the setup you describe with built in Bluetooth calling (only).

However, when upgrading I've been looking at ways to get a bluetooth audio receiver/DAP that communicates with the stock deck. Then out to an amp and all the standard analogue stuff.

Interesting unit, that sound shocker pro. But is it just to get the line levels up? Wouldn't you introduce noise at each level?
Quote:
Quote:

It would be nice to find a device that would communicate with the HU for a reasonable price, I find the Grom and Morbrigde units to be over priced and then again you can't retain your stock mic..

From what I know it sends a stronger signal out which increases the decibel level, so when you're experiencing low volume quality due to a low grade dac within the Bluetooth receiver this would help boost the levels up to bring your volume up to par with stock volume settings. I don't believe it would introduce any extra noises. I wrote to the guy about the sound shocker and he said it's 50/50 with Bluetooth receiver, it seems to work with some and it seems to not work for others.. But he does offer a full refund if it isn't working as intended.

There's also this product that I've looked at:

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/audio-interfacing/ld-10

It can be found on Amazon, I find this would maybe be more promising as it actually needs power drawn to it, you would just need some rca to aux cables and vice versa.. There's reviews with people using this in their cars.
      05-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #224
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsitsad View Post
UPDATE: got the Grom cable yesterday. Had to update the firmware on it (easy) but after it works with my android - idrive song display with Spotify, steering wheel controls, etc. skip tracks is a little finicky (skips to beginning of same song you were just playing - might take 3 "skips" to get to next track) but overall i am happy. Hopefully that gets resolved via a firmware update.

I think this is the best option so far if you want audio to display on your idrive and you own an Android. I got mine for $35 with an ebay coupon, but retail is $50

I am in the same boat. Tried tune2air myself and am unimpressed. I would invest in the grom cable but I don't want to be plugged in. I was thinking what if we connected a bluetooth receiver to the cable? Would it still fully function? I don't want to buy the cable and try it out haha. I might just go with firefly
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #225
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asonchadwick View Post
Guys just if anyone is interested in earstudio bluetooth. Its battery powered, has dual dacs, has aptxhd, can operate as a computer usb dac, has special android play store software to tweak the settings and much more. Price is $98 on Amazon i highly recommend!!!
Did you get it? Do you just have it charging all the time? I see it allows for usb audio. Do you think we could connect it to the grom wirelinq cable?

EDIT: I guess usb audio goes from usb -> bluetooth -> phone.

I am trying to find something that goes phone -> bluetooth -> grom wirelinq -> usb

Last edited by PaKii94; 05-02-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #226
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
I'm assuming you guys are talking about a bluetooth adapter to the factory Y cable? there are no options for this?

I have the Firefly but I'm looking elsewhere. Its such a pain to use with the phone while driving laws and driving alone you have to constantly touch it...annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:21 PM   #227
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

I bought the Tunai Firefly 5 weeks ago and it started making a buzzing/static noise Thursday night. Shipped it immediately back to amazon and received a refund. I guess I'll be hardwiring my JL Audio MBT-RX Bluetooth adapter into the cigarette harness like I should have a long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 05:12 AM   #228
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I have an F30 + HK Logic 7 + Enhanced Bluetooth. I only stream Pandora or Amazon. Don't do MP3s or CDs. Any products that can improve sound quality? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #229
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
I have an F30 + HK Logic 7 + Enhanced Bluetooth. I only stream Pandora or Amazon. Don't do MP3s or CDs. Any products that can improve sound quality? Thanks
USB Audio files using non-compressed WAV files from CD can improve experience a lot
      09-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #230
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
USB Audio files using non-compressed WAV files from CD can improve experience a lot
lol but he said he only streams.....
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #231
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Streaming quality will be limited by the source of the
streaming and the ability of the streaming devices used.
Bit rate of source stream, aptex or non aptex devices .
If the same stuff sounds better through a USB recorded from
a high bit rate source or WMA this is likly the problem.
Its hard to modify a L7 system.

A lot of streaming services offer a high bit rate product you
pay more for. How worth it is I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 03:01 AM   #232
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

I do lg g7 LDAC >>> earstudio >>> aux. I only stream tidal and have all audio settings set to max quality, this is the best you are gonna get through usb to aux. The earstudio has a very powerful internal amp i have my aux gain set to minimum and i can max out the volume easily and its all noise free. I have a 2010 335d with logic 7.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 07:04 AM   #233
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp xDrive

I purchased the tunai firefly but it doesn't automatically connect to my phone. I have to disconnect it from the USB and reconnect it before it'll turn on again. Are you guys running it thru the cig adapter?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #234
makanramen
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexbrah View Post
I purchased the tunai firefly but it doesn't automatically connect to my phone. I have to disconnect it from the USB and reconnect it before it'll turn on again. Are you guys running it thru the cig adapter?
I just got the Firefly for auto. So far it works fine in my 2011 335d with navigation and bluetooth for phone.

Plugged it into the center armrest (where an ipod would go). Kinda weird having three volume controls. One for Aux, one for the whole radio and thevolume on the iPhone (which becomes important since from the iphone's POV, this is not a line connection).

So far it's working properly. I can stream and play music. I have a vent magnet iphone holder thingy in one of the vents; much easier to navigate through menus. Though one of the nice things about using an ipod is being able to scroll through playlists through the steering wheel controls...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #235
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by makanramen View Post
I just got the Firefly for auto. So far it works fine in my 2011 335d with navigation and bluetooth for phone.

Plugged it into the center armrest (where an ipod would go). Kinda weird having three volume controls. One for Aux, one for the whole radio and thevolume on the iPhone (which becomes important since from the iphone's POV, this is not a line connection).

So far it's working properly. I can stream and play music. I have a vent magnet iphone holder thingy in one of the vents; much easier to navigate through menus. Though one of the nice things about using an ipod is being able to scroll through playlists through the steering wheel controls...
I guess I got a defective unit, amazon sent me out a replacement and its been working flawlessly. Turns off with the car and is on immediately as soon as i start it. Love it so far
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:49 AM   #236
bimmbo
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328iT

Any of these units both autoconnect to your phone when the car is turned on and also if being powered by the center console cigarette lighter plug let the music keep playing when the engine is turned off?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #237
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmbo View Post
Any of these units both autoconnect to your phone when the car is turned on and also if being powered by the center console cigarette lighter plug let the music keep playing when the engine is turned off?
Mine does that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #238
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
My Tunai Firefly won't play sound frequently. I can see it's on and connected to my phone, and the music should be playing, but there's just no sound at all. I turn the volume up and I just hear a faint background static. I know it's not my aux port because a normal aux cord works every time. The firefly worked the first time I used it, but hasn't been working since. Very disappointed.
      06-19-2019, 04:52 AM   #239
AlexNZL
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i (JDM)

hey just reading through this post. Looking at getting a bluetooth adapter for my 07 e92. Because my car has no USB im guessing I will not be able to get steering wheel controls working?

if so I should just get a basic aux adapter? alot of them seem like they would bee too tall to fit with the lid of the arm rest closed.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #240
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

I got the rocketfish adapter recommended on the first page of this thread and just hooked it up. The quality is noticeably worse than my wired connection of Pixel 3 -> USB-C to aux dongle -> aux cable. Even podcasts sound worse over the BT connection. I played some imagine dragons with a bunch of bass and it sounds like the speakers are blown.

Is there a setting somewhere I need to change? On my phone or the adapter?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #241
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Avoid the Aux.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...4#post23244354
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #242
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

This is what I use. Works perfect and as for the mic on it haven't had any complaints other than " close your sunroof, I hear the wind" I have it mounted on the steering column with some industrial 3m double sided tape and fed through behind the radio where I also have a cigarette lighter I installed tapped into the original one below the climate control.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1565521714593
Appreciate 0