E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > $65 Thumping Upgrade

04-08-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

$65 Thumping Upgrade

This is my first time posting on this site. First of all, I'd like to thank many of you here, for your technical contributions, to make my installation of the Alpine sound/Navigation system in a 2008 328i base model possible. I thought I should do my part, to share my latest findings.

While glancing through a recent Crutchfield catalog, I found this:http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=THA275&tp=115
a $59 amp?! Though it is no Fosgate, but I'll risk $65 (shipped) on a Blaupunkt any day, especially considering, back then, an electronic crossover alone cost more than $65.

To my surprise, the unit even comes with a remote bass control (just like the ones that came with the $149 Epicenter- you have to be really old school AND into car audio to know what I'm talking about), which is perfect for my application. You will need a low level output, or a speaker-to-signal level converter. I hooked up the amp to the subwoofer output from the Alpine head unit, to drive the two stock subs. Set the low pass frequency to about 90 Hz, setting the bass boost on about half way, and the remote bass level to about 3 quarters......I cannot believe my ears!!!!! They sound like 2 10" in the trunk!!!!

For $65?! You can't ask for anything more!!! The best part? the trunk remains 100% stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
MarioKart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroVoice View Post
This is my first time posting on this site. First of all, I'd like to thank many of you here, for your technical contributions, to make my installation of the Alpine sound/Navigation system in a 2008 328i base model possible. I thought I should do my part, to share my latest findings.

While glancing through a recent Crutchfield catalog, I found this:http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=THA275&tp=115
a $59 amp?! Though it is no Fosgate, but I'll risk $65 (shipped) on a Blaupunkt any day, especially considering, back then, an electronic crossover alone cost more than $65.

To my surprise, the unit even comes with a remote bass control (just like the ones that came with the $149 Epicenter- you have to be really old school AND into car audio to know what I'm talking about), which is perfect for my application. You will need a low level output, or a speaker-to-signal level converter. I hooked up the amp to the subwoofer output from the Alpine head unit, to drive the two stock subs. Set the low pass frequency to about 90 Hz, setting the bass boost on about half way, and the remote bass level to about 3 quarters......I cannot believe my ears!!!!! They sound like 2 10" in the trunk!!!!

For $65?! You can't ask for anything more!!! The best part? the trunk remains 100% stock.
What system do you have in your car? I think I have the standard Profesional.
      04-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #3
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
kinda want to do this.. did you do the installation yourself?
      04-09-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
dhan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 TiAg E92 335i

subscribed...

anyway to hook this up to a stock iDrive Logic 7 unit?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I think mine too; Satellites in all four corners and subs under each front seat. Similar looking amp as in pictures shown here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12983
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Make sure you check out all the related posts here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ermarket+radio

Did the install myself, with the help from the DIY guides from the above link.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

This set-up is for ALL systems with the factory subs in place (under the front seats). Make sure you 'intercept' the speaker wires going into the subs (you don't want overlapping power coming from the factory amp).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
arabbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

i know this is gonna annoy some people, but does this void warrant? i know if it does i can just pull it out before service, but will it throw a code or anything?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

[QUOTE=ElectroVoice;2452806]

To my surprise, the unit even comes with a remote bass control (just like the ones that came with the $149 Epicenter- you have to be really old school AND into car audio to know what I'm talking about),

Audiocontrol if I remeber correctly I used to have it lol
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Where did you put the amp? And dont the stock subs already have 70 watts rms going to them?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
shahils12
BALLER
Rep
Drives: 2K8 E93, 2K8 E60. N54s

somebody do a DIY!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Wanted to get some clarification... You're driving the stock subs using this amp, but are you using an aftermarket head unit? I'm considering a little bit more bass and I'm wondering if I can use the stock headunit and stock subs, and just hook up this amp to the OEM subs. Wondering if it'll make much of a difference or if I'll need to change out the subs as well...
      04-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabbmw View Post
i know this is gonna annoy some people, but does this void warrant? i know if it does i can just pull it out before service, but will it throw a code or anything?
During the head unit install, I somehow tripped the airbag warning lamp, which the dealer gladly replaced. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...Airbag+warning

Correct me if I'm wrong; warranty is voided on modified components only, i.e. by driving the subs with an after-market amp, the subs are out of warranty, etc...

RE: 70W RMS from factory amp
I seriously doubt the part about 'RMS'; before I found the speaker wire info on this board, I took the amp apart, trying to identify the wires. The components that were used on the amp aren't even half-way decent. I ended up skipping the amp completely, using the speaker outputs from my Alpine to drive the mid and highs. BTW, the sounds coming out of the Alpine's speaker outputs, comparing them to the 'dedicated' factory amp's....there's definitely no comparison! (and we are talking about some built-in output from a head unit.) I DON'T believe BMW contracts Alpine to make their audio gear any longer....because even Alpine OEMs have some quality built into them.

RE: Amp placement
On my '08 328, there's a 'fake spare tire well'. The shallower side of the storage compartment accommodates the amp, with all the wirings perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So if we were to do this with a stock head unit we would take the speaker wire going into the subs, run it into the trunk to the new amp, and then back to the sub? Or is there an easier way?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
So if we were to do this with a stock head unit we would take the speaker wire going into the subs, run it into the trunk to the new amp, and then back to the sub? Or is there an easier way?
Locate the sub wires at the factory amp, route them to the new amp, using 12GA or larger speaker wires (in my case, it was only 3').

If you are keeping the stock head unit, you need a signal converter to convert speaker level to line signals, to drive the amp. (check out the DIY on AMP/SUB install).

p.s. I've never used one of those converters, but any decent brand amp will be an upgrade to the factory amp. I like the Blaupunkt because 1)bargain- 1/3 of MSRP 2)built-in x-over 3)the power seems to be perfect for those factory subs 4)German brand (though this one is Korean made) 5)the remote bass control. If you want to get the most thump/watt, and you are willing to spend that extra buck, go with what I referred as the big 3: Rockford Fosgate, Orion or Precision Power (don't know if they are still in business).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all the great info! Do you think these speakers can continously handle that power?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

I have read on the forum that its really easy to destroy the factory subs by doing this... let us know how it works out.

WE ARE!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #18
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
I have read on the forum that its really easy to destroy the factory subs by doing this... let us know how it works out.
Yeah thats what Im worried about..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #19
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
Yeah thats what Im worried about..
same here. not sure if the stock subs can take that much load for a period of time.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
Used to be a car audio fanatic during my teenage years, went through at least a dozen systems, have never blown a speaker in my life.

I believe there are only two ways to blow a speaker; one, over-powering, two, distortion. Never turn the 'gains' to their fullest, no matter how good of an amp you have.

The distortion spec on the Blaupunkt is slightly higher than what I would have liked back then, but for subs, it is quite acceptable. They sound like a perfect match to me; at '10' on my Alpine's volume knob (think it goes at least to 20 or higher), the license plate already begins to rattle.

Any 8" woofer you can find out there, will at least be able to handle 50W RMS. A quality clean sounding amp like the Blaupunkt, even IF the power rating is slightly higher than the speaker, with proper frequency X-over, under normal circumstances, it will never blow the speaker.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #21
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroVoice View Post
Used to be a car audio fanatic during my teenage years, went through at least a dozen systems, have never blown a speaker in my life.

I believe there are only two ways to blow a speaker; one, over-powering, two, distortion. Never turn the 'gains' to their fullest, no matter how good of an amp you have.

The distortion spec on the Blaupunkt is slightly higher than what I would have liked back then, but for subs, it is quite acceptable. They sound like a perfect match to me; at '10' on my Alpine's volume knob (think it goes at least to 20 or higher), the license plate already begins to rattle.

Any 8" woofer you can find out there, will at least be able to handle 50W RMS. A quality clean sounding amp like the Blaupunkt, even IF the power rating is slightly higher than the speaker, with proper frequency X-over, under normal circumstances, it will never blow the speaker.
I thought speakers blew when you underpower them, not overpower (I mean, within reason...). But don't speakers blow out say when you only have 30W RMS going to them but ideally they should have 100W RMS, and you just crank the volume, which ends up blowing the speaker from underpowering... Not true?
      04-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #22
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
I thought speakers blew when you underpower them, not overpower (I mean, within reason...). But don't speakers blow out say when you only have 30W RMS going to them but ideally they should have 100W RMS, and you just crank the volume, which ends up blowing the speaker from underpowering... Not true?
That's distortion. However, not all amps are created equal; a 45W Fosgate amp can drive a pair of 150W-nominal 12" subs, and provide plenty of 'punch'.

Again, I'm surprised to get the kind of 'thump' I've got from the Blaupunkt; back in the days, I wouldn't have even consider anything else other than the Big3, to drive my subs, but I guess the controls on the Blaupunkt really helped.
Appreciate 0