E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > $65 Thumping Upgrade

04-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #23
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Any idea what the original low pass crossover was set at? If you set it too low, wont there be missing frequencies?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #24
DrPowers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

This is interesting... I've been waiting for the plug and play solution from BSW to come out.

Is there any way you can write up precise directions for an audio newb to install this on a stock 325i without logic7?? if its simple enough I might consider doing this instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #25
bsavic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: (sold) e90 328xi

Subscribed -

Savicbo
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #26
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Everything should be pretty straight forward as described in my posts.

If you are really interested, I'd suggest you to order from Crutchfield ASAP, because I don't expect the deal to last; the closest deal I could find is about 30% higher: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...kt+THA275.html

and check out how much premium brands like ORION charge for their 'remote level control' : http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...TOKEN=34505335
(not an Apple to Apple comparison, but just to give you an idea)

This set-up is for people who wants a simple, quick, noticeable and most bang-for-the-buck mod to their audio system, not to compare it with BSW-type of performance!

I'll be glad to answer any questions you have; however, from my experience installing the Alpine head unit, I realized that, not only are there different system configuration, the wiring schemes might differ each model year......
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #27
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
Any idea what the original low pass crossover was set at? If you set it too low, wont there be missing frequencies?
Anybody?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #28
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
Anybody?
Crossover points are sloped, not direct cut-off's, a 90 Hz x-over point does not completely eliminate say 150 Hz, however, it will put more emphasis on the deep, heart-pounding bass.

Like I've said in my initial post, I was VERY surprised at the deep bass that these stock 8" put out, they would easily be mistaken for 2 trunk-mount 10". (I was even more surprised after I saw the pictures on this board, of the actual woofers- how thin they are and their compact enclosures) I borrowed my son's "Laffy Taffy", the gut pounding bass made me I feel like 18 again.......
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #29
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Finally have some time to take a picture of the install.... (there's really nothing much to display). The best part of this mod: completely stock trunk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #30
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

BTW:

if your car does not come with all the gizmos (Nav., factory, etc...) you should have an empty 'secret' compartment right behind the rear seats. That's where I installed the Alpine Nav. unit. (just pull the cover board all the way out, you will see it)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #31
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

very very nice.
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #32
hkkuf
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 Monaco Grey Step

Sorry about a dumb question.
So you would recommend this for someone with Logic 7 who may or may not have the skills to DIY? (I mean, given time, I guess any DIY on this forum is possible for just about any noobie, the question is how long...)

I'm interested, but I'm not sure how much improvement there will be over Logic 7, which is pretty ok in my estimate.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #33
azwillnj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Could you shoot a picture of how you tied into the stock amp? In all of these installs that i have seen on the forum i haven't seen a good pic of the hook up into the amp.

WE ARE!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #34
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkkuf View Post
So you would recommend this for someone with Logic 7 who may or may not have the skills to DIY? (I mean, given time, I guess any DIY on this forum is possible for just about any noobie, the question is how long...)

I'm interested, but I'm not sure how much improvement there will be over Logic 7, which is pretty ok in my estimate.

thanks.
I don't have Logic 7, I wouldn't be able to give you a precise answer. In my case, I didn't even know the subs existed; I found out on this board, while searching this board, for info on installing the Alpine head unit. After I installed the amp, the same subs sound like 2 10" in the trunk.

If you want to be precise; I remember somebody posted all factory amps' specification on this board, including the Logic 7; compare Logic 7's with that of the base model.

Without the actual specification, my best guess on my base system's factory amp, output wattage to the subs are no more than 30W RMS (remember, if the spec. doesn't state RMS, divide it by 2), while the Blaupunkt gives me clean 75W RMS. Wattage is just part of the story, aftermarket amps are usually engineered and built far superior than that of their OEM counter-part, thus the higher S/N ratio and lower THD. In addition, the extra features such as the adjustable electronic crossover and the bass boost all contribute to better bass performance.

p.s. Someone asked about the OEM system's LP X-over point, I wouldn't be surprised if it is way up in the 180~250 area, why? because OEM systems are suppose to cater to ALL audience, not just the young and bass-hungry (in my case, 'the wanna-be-young and restless')
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #35
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
Could you shoot a picture of how you tied into the stock amp? In all of these installs that i have seen on the forum i haven't seen a good pic of the hook up into the amp.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87130

Took me a while to return those trunk linings to look factory new again....the#3 picture in the above link should look similar.

You either have low-level output from an aftermarket headunit, or you need a converter to drive the amp's inputs.

Quote:

thanks.
I believe if you can set up your home AV system, and knows how to use a multimeter, shouldn't find it difficult to DIY this one....
1. wire to bat. (and GND)
2. wire to subs (by routing to the factory amp, and 'intercept' the output from the factory amp)
3. get signal from HU or through a speaker-to-RCA converter.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #36
hkkuf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroVoice View Post

I believe if you can set up your home AV system, and knows how to use a multimeter, shouldn't find it difficult to DIY this one....
1. wire to bat. (and GND)
2. wire to subs (by routing to the factory amp, and 'intercept' the output from the factory amp)
3. get signal from HU or through a speaker-to-RCA converter.
Thanks.

OK, I have to come clean and say that I'm pretty lost after the first step. I am sure, though, I can figure it out after a couple of hours of searching, reading, etc. I'm not an AV person, obviously, but this seemed like a good project to get my feet wet. To show my level of ignorance I'm taking "intercept" to mean the factory amp no longer sends signal to the subs, am I correct?

Anyway, I'm not sure if you told us already, but what did you do with the remote controller? Did you just leave it in the trunk?

Sorry if I'm dumbing down this thread... I promise I'll stop now.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #37
T7R_Sky
"I know you know that I know you know..."
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E90 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [0.00]
Aww... i just found this thread and clicked the link to buy the amp and it has been discontinued...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #38
hkkuf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7R_Sky View Post
Aww... i just found this thread and clicked the link to buy the amp and it has been discontinued...
I don't think so. I just bought one from Crutchfield.
Are you sure you clicked on the first post's link?

The sonicelectronix.com link is the discontinued one.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...kt+THA275.html

The Crutchfield link still has them at 59.99
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=THA275&tp=115
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #39
T7R_Sky
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't think so. I just bought one from Crutchfield.
Are you sure you clicked on the first post's link?

The sonicelectronix.com link is the discontinued one.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...kt+THA275.html

The Crutchfield link still has them at 59.99
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=THA275&tp=115
Oh, haha. There it is :P Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #40
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

OK, I have to come clean and say that I'm pretty lost after the first step. I am sure, though, I can figure it out after a couple of hours of searching, reading, etc. I'm not an AV person, obviously, but this seemed like a good project to get my feet wet. To show my level of ignorance I'm taking "intercept" to mean the factory amp no longer sends signal to the subs, am I correct?

Anyway, I'm not sure if you told us already, but what did you do with the remote controller? Did you just leave it in the trunk?

Sorry if I'm dumbing down this thread... I promise I'll stop now.
Hey, there is no such thing as a 'dumb question'!!

I was glad that, when I read the DIY-'How to take off the backseat' thread on this board, many followed with flood of questions, which made the DIY much clearer.

I did state in my initial post that, after looking at the inside of the factory amp, I decided to bypass it completely, fortunately, my Alpine came with speaker level outputs. Using the factory head unit and amp (for the other 8 speakers) You have 2 options: 1.hook up new speaker wires from subs to the amp (this will require the removal of backseats on sedan models) 2.cut off the sub wires at the factory amp (this is what I meant by 'intercepting'), then re-route them to the amp. The latter is definitely less troublesome, and, good thing BMW did use some decent (thickness-wise) wires for the subs.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #41
T7R_Sky
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [0.00]
Yay! I just bought one and it should be here in a few days. Hopefully it will be the best 66 bucks i will spend on my audio, lol.

I also want to keep my stock head unit so i think im gonna intercept the sub cables. But what is that converter thing you mentioned earlier?
"signal converter to convert speaker level to line signals, to drive the amp"
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #42
ElectroVoice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7R_Sky View Post
Yay! I just bought one and it should be here in a few days. Hopefully it will be the best 66 bucks i will spend on my audio, lol.

I also want to keep my stock head unit so i think im gonna intercept the sub cables. But what is that converter thing you mentioned earlier?
"signal converter to convert speaker level to line signals, to drive the amp"
http://www.bargainunlimited.net/serv...-dsh-15/Detail

Read more about similar device here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87130
mentioned there as the "Aftermarket Amp Interface Adapter".

Crutchfield carries one, but it is a bit redundant; you only need 2 channels.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...rter&i=142SLC4
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #43
T7R_Sky
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
http://www.bargainunlimited.net/serv...-dsh-15/Detail

Read more about similar device here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87130
mentioned there as the "Aftermarket Amp Interface Adapter".

Crutchfield carries one, but it is a bit redundant; you only need 2 channels.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...rter&i=142SLC4
Oh, wonderful. Im gonna go look around to see if any local place might have one so i don't need to buy it online.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #44
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
Quote:
p.s. I've never used one of those converters, but any decent brand amp will be an upgrade to the factory amp. I like the Blaupunkt because 1)bargain- 1/3 of MSRP 2)built-in x-over 3)the power seems to be perfect for those factory subs 4)German brand (though this one is Korean made) 5)the remote bass control. If you want to get the most thump/watt, and you are willing to spend that extra buck, go with what I referred as the big 3: Rockford Fosgate, Orion or Precision Power (don't know if they are still in business).
Woah! I remember having a PPI amp in my Wrangler! Lol, that was ~10 years ago....hahaha, my first "system" was some cheap 4 channel amp w/14 gauge wires for power & ground, 2 fosgate 12's that i got for $15 at a swap meet, and a Sony diskman with the "Line Out" going to 2 channels for my "mids-highs" (stock Jeep speakers), and the "Headphone" output going to the subs...that way I could control the sub volume from the Diskman..........ahh the memories.....
Appreciate 0