E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > GAS PISSIN OUT OF FUEL RAIL?!?!?!? Please help

01-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
KROOKEDking420
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 coupe

GAS PISSIN OUT OF FUEL RAIL?!?!?!? Please help

OK so another thing has gone wrong with my 07 E92---- i was driving about 10 miles from my house when about 8 miles into the drive i heard a metal on metal clinking sound comin from the engine compartment SIMILAR SOUND to the notorious wastegate rattle but i know that wasn't what it was so i really start to pay attention to the car and i also just then started to smell GAS Of course i was in the middle lane (of 3 lanes) at a 4 way intersection there coudnt be a worse place for my car to then DIE completely !!! WTF could be wrong now???

i did recently make an attempt to patch a crack in the valve cover so i did have to take out the fuel rails( i did take it out as one whole piece but i had to remove 1 of the 6 legs the one near the oil filler cap) I say i made an attempt cuz it didn't hold using JB WELD but that's beside the point has nothing to do with why 2 of the 6 rails were pissin out gas at the nut where the lines flared but not on the side that i disconnected which was the injector side i didn't even touch the side where the lines meet the long junction rail and that's the side that's pissin gas !!!

im not sure what to do i don't want to spend money on a whole new fuel rail set up from ECSTUNING when i may only need just the 2 legs ID rather spend money on the new valve cover------- BUT im wondering what caused the rails to leak especially since its been almost 2 months since i did any work on it and have not had any issues related to gas/fuel EVER

SO id like to get some ideas or opinions if any of you guys have run into this with their N54 any help wil be greatly appreciated THANX
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
sp1tfire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I suppose it was spraying at point of connection, if so did you try to disconnect it and the screw it on again, maybe when you put it on it didn't catch thread the way it was supposed to?
UPD i see you wrote that its a different joint, so i got no ideas there, maybe it got bent?
Other than that you can get a used one from eBay, or maybe partout section in forum.

good luck

Last edited by sp1tfire; 01-02-2016 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

If I understand correctly, the leak is from two of the nuts on the side you didn't disconnect? My guess would be that either the line somehow came lose from the rail when you set it down, or the line possibly cracked. Have you tried to tighten the nut and see if that fixes the leak? I'd completely remove the two lines, inspect them for damage, and reinstall them so you know that they are lined up properly on both sides.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
If I understand correctly, the leak is from two of the nuts on the side you didn't disconnect? My guess would be that either the line somehow came lose from the rail when you set it down, or the line possibly cracked. Have you tried to tighten the nut and see if that fixes the leak? I'd completely remove the two lines, inspect them for damage, and reinstall them so you know that they are lined up properly on both sides.
+ 1. In fact OP, I would inspect everything at this point. Pissing fuel is just not a good idea anyway you look at it.
      01-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
KROOKEDking420
Private
Rep

here is what I found when I pulled one of the 2 rails that was pissin gas it was completely sheared off at the flare im not sure if this was just a coincidence that the rails are leakin after I removed the rail for the valve cover repair or if theres some other reason this would happen like a failed pressure sensor or valve somewhere in the fuel system or did the vibration from misfires cuz the valve covers cracked and oil is leakin into the coils/plugs and maybe the vibration loosed the injector hold downs and just snapped the rail at the flare cuz it was the weakest point to break

I don't know where to begin I can go buy 2 or 3 new rails and hope it was just a faulty part or do I have BAD luck and this is caused by something a lot worse then just a bad part from factory( seeing how everything plastic on these cars fail) I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or any problems with their fuel rails????

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE REAL PART NAME AND PART#'S for the individual rail legs(seen in pictures) that go from the injector to the main fuel rail???
Attached Images

Last edited by KROOKEDking420; 01-03-2016 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

This site is your best friend from now on:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1182

Depending on which one it is.. You are look at #4 or #5. That BMW Tax on some stainless steel pipes aint no joke tho. lol
      01-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Holy sh!t... Good thing you pulled those lines and avoided a worse incident. Another option would be from a wrecker, but if you're pressed for time pay the BMW tax.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
KROOKEDking420
Private
Rep

thanks guys I don't know what id do with out this forum this is my first bmw and also the first car I chose not to get a warranty with since the last 5-6 cars didn't need anything done so it was a waste of money I told myself HAHAHAHA damn how I wish I got that warranty now I've had to replace---- starter
battery
key FOB
coils
plugs
valve cover gasket
oil filter housing gasket
valve cover(cracked at PCV valve)
brake pads and rotors
water pump/thermostat
tires

and I had the stupid ELV CAS error where your steering column locks and your ignition disables and BMW wants you to pay them $2500 to replace the steering column Im GLAD I found this forum cuz a member walked me thru the process to recode the CAS so I wont ever have that issue again !!!

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL INPUT ON WHAT WOULD HAVE CAUSED THE INJECTOR PIPE TO BREAK LIKE THAT No Bueno !!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #9
gster109
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Reviving a dead thread but this just happened to me after doing my valve cover as well. Injector number 1's line is leaking onto the head.. anyone know why this is caused? Am I missing something? or should I just grab a new line?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:28 PM   #10
E93Dude
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

For one, never, ever, not ever, like not seriously ever is it a long term remotely good idea to use JB Weld on anything that is required to hold pressure or fluid. Like a Valve Cover. The OP in 2016 was trying to save money when they should have just bought a new valve cover for a few hundred bucks instead of trying to patch the broken old one. Moving on...

...as for leaking high pressure fuel pipes, they are made out of stainless steel and are pretty sturdy given the high pressure fuel they carry. If you are having mystery fuel leaks in that area, I doubt its because they have developed a crack due to ageing. The likely cause is that after removing the pipes and rail while doing your valve cover or its gasket, you likely did not re-seat them correctly on the high pressure rail, and cross threaded the nuts on the high pressure pipe. The result is that the two are not sealing. I would remove #1 pipe and inspect threads, and gently try to screw it back on, being attentive if there is any resistance from cross threading. If there is, the fuel pipes are $30 each or so. Failing that, I've heard of one mechanic who used a bit of PTFE (plumbers tape) wrapped around the fuel rail nub on which the fuel pipe was screwed back on, in order to help with the seal. PTFE does not react with ethanol but that's definitely non-standard solution.

Don't cheap out. If you have cross threads on the anything high pressure, just buy new pipe.

Last edited by E93Dude; 09-21-2021 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0