E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N55 No crank/no start with new battery

10-18-2021, 11:32 PM   #1
squeezy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i N55

My 335 has been a headache this last week and I'm hoping to get any information to help me fix it asap as it's my daily driver.

I've always had a pretty long crank even during warmer weathers so i've figured i've been needing a new battery for a while as it hasn't been changed in 5 years. Last week the temperatures dropped and one morning I went out to warm her up but she cranked twice really slowly and then stopped cranking. I went out back and tested the battery and it read 12 flat and mhd was fluctuating between 11.8 to 12.1 so I thought it was just finally time to change it. I was out of town until today and I was able to change out the battery for the exact same one and it was perfectly fine. But after installing it the car still didn't crank and when i checked the voltage it read 12.2! My brand new battery was reading around 12.6 disconnected but as soon as I installed it, it read 12.2. I tried jumping it to see if the battery was the issue but jumping it didn't do anything either. I registered the battery through mhd prior to starting it so i figured it's not that.

What do you guys think my issue is? Could it be the starter or is there something else that might be causing this. Any insight would be appreciated. I really don't want to take it to the dealership as i'd need to get a trailer to haul it and I'd rather try to fix it myself than cough up a ridiculous amount of money.

(update) here are some codes mhd has been throwing for a while

387f - Power Management : Standby Current Violation

3876 Power Management : Central Under voltage

Shadow Code

2BDE - Fuel High Pressure during fuel injection release : Pressure too low

2BF0 - German

(i reset my codes after changing the battery so i currently have no codes, those were previous codes in my history)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:39 AM   #2
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

Here is a thread with a few things to look at. Check your starter / alternator lead for a loose connection inside the lug.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867522
Appreciate 0