E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Why aren't there more track cars?

10-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #67
edycol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
Get a 2WD. It'll be about 400lb lighter.

The 4wd will do nothing the assist on a race track unless you're north of 400hp. Even then it's not a GTR, the T-case won't deliver more torque to the front than it does from the factory no matter how much power you're pushing so there still isn't much help. Certainly not enough to overcome the weight penalty.

As mentioned above, easier maintenance, better factory parts, less understeer, easier to change direction. Better starting point all around.

It's neat to try an Xdrive on track once. The car takes a unique set when powering out of corners with the front wheels driving.

---------- Ninja Edit

The 4wd might have better front wheel bearings. The sealed 2wd front hub assemblies don't seem to last nearly as long as the press-in. Hard to say. That front left does a lot of heavy lifting.
No way.
200lbs is max. Some specs. are 3350lbs for RWD and 3583lbs for AWD and some 3428lbs for AWD. I am leaning it is 3350+ but slightly below 3,600lbs for AWD. That is 328. Now, N54/55 models might have different specs. Also, the manual is definitely lighter.

Hmm, good info on bearings. That is an interesting observation.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #68
Thumbie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: On the hunt....

Thanks for your feedback, interesting to hear your reviews. There should be more people tracking that have your mentality. "track whatever ya got and go have fun" without needing the fastest car.

. I continue the hunt. Sounds like, except xDrive, I'm looking for the exact same thing as you haha. xenon, no idrive, 6 speed, sport package (ideally M sport) but I'd get aftermarket seats and suspension if not. and not gold paint or tan interior lol.

If you ever want to check out a california track my buddy is an organizer. https://www.ongridtrack.com/

And to continue the original discussion. If it hasn't already been said, finding a manual 328i that isn't a beat up pre-LCI is not super easy depending on how picky you are.

Looking to buy a clean e90/92 328i manual non-SULEV. DM if you got something...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 04:39 PM   #69
edycol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
Thanks for your feedback, interesting to hear your reviews. There should be more people tracking that have your mentality. "track whatever ya got and go have fun" without needing the fastest car.

. I continue the hunt. Sounds like, except xDrive, I'm looking for the exact same thing as you haha. xenon, no idrive, 6 speed, sport package (ideally M sport) but I'd get aftermarket seats and suspension if not. and not gold paint or tan interior lol.

If you ever want to check out a california track my buddy is an organizer. https://www.ongridtrack.com/

And to continue the original discussion. If it hasn't already been said, finding a manual 328i that isn't a beat up pre-LCI is not super easy depending on how picky you are.
Thanx for the tip. Having 2 1/2 and 5 year old terrorists at home, venturing to events like this is hard.
Why not going 128i?
Appreciate 0