E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E92 335i 13.5k miles tie rods seized

08-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
jobe
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

E92 335i 13.5k miles tie rods seized

Hi,

I have been having problems with my late 2010 E92 pulling to the left. I had the alignment done by an independent and they said it was adjusted once but it didn't fix the problem.

I finally took it to BMW and they said both track rods were seized. My car has only done 13k miles.

They had to heat it to get it moving again.

Is the tie rod seizing something which you would expect at such low milage? I personally have only had the car for only 7 months and have only driven 4k miles.

Is it possible the first independent was able to adjust the tie rods if the tie rods were frozen? This first alignment was only 2 weeks ago. Also the car looked aligned on paper so how would the tie rod seizing affect this?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Jme_be
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 N53 330i M-Sport auto

I just had the geometry on my '08 68k miles checked - it was out. When they attempted to adjust it was seized. They heated it, put a long handle on the spanner (managed to then break spanner) penetrating fluid etc. They said that it was typical on BMWs. In the end they built an oil bath to soak it overnight and then managed to free it off.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

typical of any rod end.

if you are using an open ended wrench(13mm for an e90... pretty small) there is a good chance you will either break it or have it spread.

heat and a big ass wrench... adjustable spanners might be ok... but they too will tend to spread if a lot of torque is applied.

I usually end up using a pipe wrench with heat if, at first try, it will not turn easily.
Appreciate 0