E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Do shops have something aganist changing CV boots?

10-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
aDDanDrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi E92

Do shops have something aganist changing CV boots?

I called about 5 different shops and walked into 2 to replace a tear on my CV boot and none of them wanted to do the work...they said they only did the whole axle. Is it not worth it for shops to do the work? Or is it just a pain in the ass to replace them?

I have the tools to do the job but a little skeptical to do it. I say this because I have trouble taking bolts off without breaker bars. I checked autozone for rental and they charge $80

Are there "quick boot" replacement for sale for the 328xi? Like this one

Also, are the 328xi boots and 328i boot the same?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 JB E92 335xi

Most of the time shops want to do the quickest way to solve a problem. Easiest way to change a boot is to take the whole axle out so since it is out shops want to just put a new one in instead of messing with changing the boot and then getting blamed if there is a problem with the axles later down the rode. Easier to warranty a new replacement than an r&r job on an axle.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I think they are accustomed to the old way of removal , inspection , replacement and then reinstallation. That quick boot seems better than I've seen in the past. If you think about what your asking , then I think it will be obvious to you. You are asking a shop to use a shortcut part for a DIYer instead of an OEM. The time it takes for the shortcut is 30 min or less. The OEM way may be 4 hrs. At a rate of $80 per hour the shortcut is $40 for them or $240 for them the OEM way. What would you do if you ran a business? Maybe you could ask them to do it after hours on the side. Lots of techs are allowed to use the shop on their own time using their own tools. I've done front axles before and it was messy, time consuming , and a learning experience. I think if I had the money to pay for it when I was younger I would have forked it over to have it done. Best of luck finding a shop to do it. Keep this thread updated so we know how long it lasted.
      10-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport ->M6

Garage List
2016 BMW 435ix  [0.00]
I was gonna say - by the time you remove the halfshaft to put a new boot on - you might as well just replace the axle at same time and be done with it...

But those split boots are the cats ass

Wish they had those back in the day, when I was younger, and would actually DIY jobs like this - older now & pay someone else to get dirty
F32 435ix//Mineral Gray Metallic//Black Dakota Leather//Alum Blade Trim//M Sport Pkg//Prem Pkg//Tech Pkg//Driver Assist Pkg//Lighting Pkg//Cold Weather Pkg//Dyn Handling Pkg//HK Sound+BavSound Stg2//437M Wheels//M4 Mirrors w/NWC CF Covers//MPerf Pedals-CF Rear Spoiler-LED Sills-CF Shift Knob/Surround/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//MPE w/CF Tips+CGP VSC-1//Dinan CF Intake//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/DV+//AA OBD Flash Tune Stg2
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

the split boots replace faster, but they also tend to leak, so lots of shops don't want to bother with it, because you'll be back in a month with grease flung all over the place.

I replaced the boot once on my old car, and no matter how much I tried to adjust the clamp ring and make it as tight as possible, It would always seep a little grease and fling it all over the inside of my wheel. eventually I just replaced the whole axle.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
aDDanDrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi E92

The car has 22k miles...IMO the axles should have a lot more life on them. If I replace one axle, shouldn't I replace the other as well? All this seems unnecessary to me. All that for a quarter size tear on a boot doesn't seem worth it to me.

I'll probably get dogged on for doing this and I might even fail or make things worse but I'm going to try to repair it myself with inner bicycle tire tubing lol.

I wish they sold something like what this guy is using but can’t seem to find it.

Anyways, I’ll keep you gents/gals updated on the repair and take some pictures in the processes.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

If the boot is split there is an almost 100% chance the grease/joint is contaminated and that will accelerate failure of the joint itself. It isn't worth an angry customer and the bad word of mouth to the shop owner.
Appreciate 0