E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Issues with HDMI ARC sound system

11-14-2022, 09:43 AM   #1
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Issues with HDMI ARC sound system

Mods if you need to move this to the egghead forum, feel free but thought I would post here to get a wider audience.

So basement TV, bought a power bar with sub and two satellite speakers. i did not run an optical line through the wall so used the HDMI ARC option, it was quite fiddly to set up and required a very specific set of changes to the TV options to make it work. But it did work, though with one quirk.

When the TV is turned on, it flashes back and forth maybe 10 times between the HDMI I am viewing and the HDMI the sound system is connected to. It then settles down and I can enjoy the benefits of HDMI ARC, namely the tv remote controls the sound system volume which would not be the case with an optical connection.

So first question, why is this "flashing" happening in the first place? To be clear, the tv displays HDMI 1 and then switches to HDMI 2 repeatedly, very quickly, for about 30 seconds.

Now to the point. I have hooked up a PS5 and it is BEDLAM. Any time I press the PS5 button on the controller to access the main PS5 menu, the tv does the "flashing" dance explained above. This is SERIOUSLY annoying. I thought I found a solution, in the PS5 menu there's an option NOT to have it control the "other devices connected to the TV" ........... this seemed to work but somehow has resulted in the sound system not connecting to the tv at all.

I realise this is very confusing but i know there are some really tech savvy people here who know their way around this stuff and if you can help., it'd be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Shot in the dark here, but within the PS5 picture settings - is your "instant game response" turned on or off? If it's on, then turn it off and see if that makes a difference.

Which TV do you have?

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
jellydoughnutt
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That could also be the HDR enabling, so try disabling it and see if it stops. I have an LG and had to end up disabling the power on when a signal is detected to keep it from changing inputs all over the place when it detects another device. Does it do this with the sound system disabled using the tv speakers?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:04 AM   #4
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

WTW03, Thanks, I will try that later today. My TV is a HISENSE, their highest model so lots of techy options but you need to have all your ducks in a row so to speak. The more options, the more complex to get it all working seamlessly.

Jelly, my TV cannot do HDR at 4K. In regards to disabling power on, i may try that too, i see where this may confuse the tv.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

HDR is a 4k only feature. How can your top end Hisense not support HDR? My lowly 42" Hisense I paid about $250 at Best Buy supports HDR and I think Dolby Vision too.

As to the flickering back and forth, this is probably due to the TV and the connected sound system is trying to establish a handshake which is necessary for HDMI to work. You may want to see if there is a firmware update for both the TV and the sound system.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #6
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't think HDR is a 4K only feature, it has worked for eons on my PS4 at regular HD (2K).

I agree on the handshake but it seems to want it over and over again.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 10:58 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

HDR is a 4k only feature:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-is-h...-dynamic-range

It was introduced as part of the 4k feature spec to not only increase the color palette over HD but to also increase the overall contrast/brightness over HD panels. So if you're not getting HDR on your top end Hisense panel verifying you do indeed have a proper source, there is something seriously wrong and you need to track this down.

HDMI handshake issues have been a thing ever since HDMI was released. This is why I suggested checking if there are any firmware updates for either devices. You may also want to check the cabling between the two devices. I've encountered some HDMI cables causing connection issues even though the connector/cable appears to be fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 11:17 AM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
HDR is a 4k only feature:
It really isn't, it has been around for eons, well before 4K come along. I have been running HDR on Gran Turismo Sport and GT7 on a base PS4 that cannot do 4K.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...nt-can-i-watch

"However HDR isn't linked to resolution, so there are HDR capable TVs that are full HD (1080p rather than 2160p), just as there are phones and tablets with HDR displays at a wide range of resolutions."
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #9
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It really isn't, it has been around for eons, well before 4K come along. I have been running HDR on Gran Turismo Sport and GT7 on a base PS4 that cannot do 4K.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...nt-can-i-watch

"However HDR isn't linked to resolution, so there are HDR capable TVs that are full HD (1080p rather than 2160p), just as there are phones and tablets with HDR displays at a wide range of resolutions."
From your link and previous to what you quoted from that article:

"To help complicate things, HDR was initially introduced with Ultra HD (4K). HDR is included in the Ultra HD Blu-ray spec, and the UHD Alliance created a certification called Ultra HD Premium, which confirms that a device (e.g., TV or Blu-ray player) meets particular standards for Ultra HD and HDR, although in the years since the launch of the Ultra HD Premium badge, it's hard to see that it actually drives TV sales, because not everyone uses it."

Per the article that you linked and what you quoted, those implementations are non standard and are outliers as it relates to general content intended to be displayed on TVs.

Regardless, you still have to address why your top end Hisense is not displaying HDR.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 02:41 PM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

This is massively pissing me off now, cannot get anything from the sound system. I have turned off the PS5, disabled CEC or whatever it is called, on the PS5 so it's like it doesn't exist. I double checked my cables, the sound system has the power bar showing, volume control works but zero sound. I tried changing inputs on it and i cannot tell if that is working.

Going totally insane, this is stupidly time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I feel your pain. Due to how my Meridian system works, I tried to get ARC from my Sony A90J to the HD621/G65 setup using an adapter. No matter what I did, no dice. Just gave up and used the SPDIF Toslink output from the A90J. I'm not getting high res audio but at least I'm getting audio now from any of the Smart apps installed in my TV.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:56 AM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

So called Vizio and i'll be damned, no wait and an excellent CSR. First step was to reset the thing which amazingly involves not just unplugging it but WHILST UNPLUGGED holding the power button. Like really? OK, well it worked.

Then she told me to plug the PS5 into the sound bar, NOT the TV, i'm like WTF but yeah being HDMI it can sorta do two things at once. It all works like gold now because the TV is not confused which input to work with, it's now effectively, according to the TV, one input.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317971.00
kscarrol8912.00
      11-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #13
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So called Vizio and i'll be damned, no wait and an excellent CSR. First step was to reset the thing which amazingly involves not just unplugging it but WHILST UNPLUGGED holding the power button. Like really? OK, well it worked.

Then she told me to plug the PS5 into the sound bar, NOT the TV, i'm like WTF but yeah being HDMI it can sorta do two things at once. It all works like gold now because the TV is not confused which input to work with, it's now effectively, according to the TV, one input.
Sometimes I miss the simple days....

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615283.00
      11-15-2022, 02:38 PM   #14
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

SO basically, the way the PS5 work, using it with direct HDMI to the TV is daft. Unlike the PS4, when you go HOME on the PS5, for a nino second it sends a signal that it has turned off, triggering the TV to toggle between inputs as it is confused which to prioritise. By connecting the PS5 to the sound bar, one creates a video throughout from the PS5, through the HDMI cable running to the soundbar and then through the hdmi connected to the TV. So the TV is only being asked to use 1 input, hence no flickering/toggling.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 05:32 PM   #15
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

I know on my setup, arc was really sensitive on the hdmi cables being used. This is using a ps4 and sony tv plugged into a Sony soundbar. Try different cables.
Appreciate 0