E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > First "nightmare" in many years

11-21-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

First "nightmare" in many years

I don't remember dreams often, but usually when I do they are usually just weird. I haven't had anything disturbing in a very long time.

My dog Ry, who is my life, hasn't been feeling well and we think she has a UTI (appt is tomorrow). Last night I had a dream that she went outside to pee, and while she was out there a cougar (not uncommon in our area) walked past her and right up to our screen door. When I saw the cougar I immediately told my gf to get Ry inside and I went to grab my rifle. When I got back to the door Ry was inside, but this cougar had turned into a black wolf and was at the screen door and started talking to me in a deep demonic voice, telling me how he was going to get Ry, it was only a matter of time and there was nothing I could do. I talked to it for a minute saying you'll have to go through me first, but the wolf was just getting more direct. I was trying to keep my gf, Ry and our cat behind me while trying to charge my rifle, but every time I pulled the charging handle back it went loose like everything was on a spring and I couldn't get it charged. The more I tried, the more the wolf became more aggressive and enraged.

When I dream I'm always aware I'm dreaming and I can usually wake myself up if I want. This whole time everything was escalating in the dream to a sound that I realized was heavy breathing getting louder. I assumed it was me, but when I woke myself up I found the heavy breathing was my dog next to me, she was dreaming about something that had her worked up as well.

I think it's safe to say her not feeling well has me stressed. She's almost 10, so she is getting to the age that health issues could start to show up that could be lasting or serious. I don't like this.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 11:04 AM   #2
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I read a book about dreams and their meaning a few years ago. Il attempt an interpretation based on the reading.
The mind is so powerful and you took your love for your dog and fear for his safety to bed and that was part 1 when you dreamt he was in danger
Part 2 about the rifle not loading and the wolf getting nearer signifies your fear of failure of not being able to protect your dog/ near and dear when he/they need you the most.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      11-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #3
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I read a book about dreams and their meaning a few years ago. Il attempt n interpretation based on the reading.
The mind is so powerful and you took your love for your dog and fear for his safety to bed and that wad part 1 when you dreamt he was in danger
Part 2 about the rifle not loading and the wolf getting nearer signifies your fear of failure of not being able to protect your dog/ near and dear when he/ need you the most.
I'd say thats accurate.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 02:22 PM   #4
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I have had dreams where I went to punch someone in self defense and the punch turns into rubber. Kind of like your rifle. It must mean something subconciously but I have no clue.

Sorry to hear about your dog. My wife is a animal hospital manager and I will advise you, as your pooch gets older do not delay to get checks up, or appts for things that dont seem right. I hear it too many times where if someone just came in sooner they could have done something.

Hopefully it is just a UTI which is easily treatable and you'll have many year free of cougars and wolves!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Those 'what stuff in your dreams REALLY mean' lists are, at best, a look into the psyche of the author, not really worth the time unless it is for a party game.

Dreams like this can be thought of as your brain's flight simulator - a place to work out unmanageable fears in a safe setting, or a way to begin to develop tolerance via exposure. Your dream evokes a classic boundary experience - that despite loving someone with all our heart, we can't save them, and will eventually have to grieve their loss. In your dream you are enacting that helplessness with the failed rifle. When these feelings rise up - even from less philosophical sources like work stress, they often come out in dreams with failed-flight/anxiety-laced themes. It's part of living, normal anticipatory grief, not a symptom of something.
Appreciate 0