E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Carly for BMW not reading ECUs

04-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Carly for BMW not reading ECUs

I have an ELM327 Scanner and the CarlyforBMW Pro software that I used successfully back in Nov 2017 to read and clear faults on my 20016 325xi.
Today, I was able to start the diagnostic function and it hung up after reading 3 ECUs. I tried it over 5 times and never could get it to complete the scan.

It worked fine back on Nov 11, 2017. I am using my iPad 4 mini connected to the scanner over WiFi. Tried turning the iPad to the Aircraft Mode and then starting up the WiFi. I can successfully have the iPad talk to the scanner. Sometimes, I have to try several time for the scanner/Carly to talk to the ECUs. Once the scanner/Carly establishes the communications, I start the diagnostic routine. Then it hangs up.

I am sitting in my 325 in my driveway in from of my garage. My home WiFi adapter is in the garage attic. Do I need to get away from this and other WiFi adapters?

Any other ideas or comments would greatly be appreciated.

Wally
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The Carly app uses your Carly adapter as an access point. You must have other connections turned off and your iPad set not to automatically reconnect.

Also not that Carly has changed the app to REQUIRE their own adapter.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #3
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Connection to vehicle ECUs seems OK

Let, me explain.

The communications from the adapter and iPad never appears to be lost. The communications between tne adapter/Carly software and ECUs is made and appears OK.
Then I start the Diagonstic app, and it reads 3 to 4 ECUs and hangs up.
The communications between the adapter/Carly software and the ECUs could get messed up and the software does not know. I can’t tell.
After I get out of the Diagnostic app, the communications between the adapter and ECUs is still there.
I have updated the Carly software many times since Nov2017 when everything work great. Maybe the updates are messed up.

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Hello, what? I have Carly Pro for Android, and haven't used it since I put in a new battery sometime last year. The K+DCAN cable I have worked just fine. Are you saying I now have to plunk down what I see is $63 for this Gen 2 Bluetooth Adapter of theirs? This is robbery!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Hello, what? I have Carly Pro for Android, and haven't used it since I put in a new battery sometime last year. The K+DCAN cable I have worked just fine. Are you saying I now have to plunk down what I see is $63 for this Gen 2 Bluetooth Adapter of theirs? This is robbery!
I can't speak for the Android version, but the iOS version now requires a Carly adapter.

You can read about that on their web page.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
You're fine. A DCAN cable still works, at least my bimmergeeks cable does.
      04-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post
Let, me explain.

The communications from the adapter and iPad never appears to be lost. The communications between tne adapter/Carly software and ECUs is made and appears OK.
Then I start the Diagonstic app, and it reads 3 to 4 ECUs and hangs up.
The communications between the adapter/Carly software and the ECUs could get messed up and the software does not know. I can’t tell.
After I get out of the Diagnostic app, the communications between the adapter and ECUs is still there.
I have updated the Carly software many times since Nov2017 when everything work great. Maybe the updates are messed up.

Wallyf
Are you doing this with the engine running or a battery charger connected? This shouldn't be an issue but it is for some people.
      04-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Some success

I drove my E90 to an open field far away from my home WiFi router. Away from any WiFi router. I was able to talk to my E90 and read three faults. I was also successful in clearing the faults.
Most of the faults I have seen before and are of no concern.

However, I drove my 2011 E88 convertible to the same field and was not successful in getting the Carly software to talk to vehicle’s ECUs. The iPad connected quickly to the ELM327 adapter; no problem! The problem is with the Carly software talking to the ECUs. I then took the E88 to my Indy, and he was able to read the ECUs with his professional diagnostic system.

The E88 uses the J1850 bus on the OBDII connector. The E90 uses the ISO 9141 K line on the OBDII connector. I don’t know if this is the issue but there is a difference.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Wallyf
Appreciate 0