E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Hpfp

11-11-2021, 03:52 AM   #1
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

Hpfp

I must surely be running out of things that have required replacing. My rail pressure has been bouncing around and drops to almost zero under load. It is always accompanied by the low pressure side oscillating too. The car would start misfiring too. Tonight the hpfp died. My rail pressure and low pressure side are exactly the same. They track around 80psi. I am amazed how smoothly the engine runs in low power mode!! Btw. I have had no starting problems. Is there any doubt that my hpfp is dead?
Where to source in Australia?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 03:56 AM   #2
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Check your lpfp and hpfp sensors are both plugged in before buying new things.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 04:28 AM   #3
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
Check your lpfp and hpfp sensors are both plugged in before buying new things.
Thanks. I have. I just read that the limp mode opens the fuel control valve all the way open which would account for the low and rail pressure being equal. That said a fully open fuel control valve with no additional pressure from the high pressure fuel pump seems to indicate a dead pump.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #4
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
Thanks. I have. I just read that the limp mode opens the fuel control valve all the way open which would account for the low and rail pressure being equal. That said a fully open fuel control valve with no additional pressure from the high pressure fuel pump seems to indicate a dead pump.
Oh no
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 03:27 AM   #5
insanesam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Replacing low pressure fuel sensor fixed things for me after replacing the o2's, hpfp and injectors. Have a spare one for sale if you require.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 03:21 AM   #6
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesam View Post
Replacing low pressure fuel sensor fixed things for me after replacing the o2's, hpfp and injectors. Have a spare one for sale if you require.
You scare me. I have had O2 sensor error codes for a while. Might try changing both high and low pressure sensors.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 11:20 PM   #7
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You scare me. I have had O2 sensor error codes for a while. Might try changing both high and low pressure sensors.
This was my rail and low pressure. Rail drops to 124 but low is jumping all over the place. I am not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg. Does the erratic low cause the high to drop or is something going on in the high pp that is throwing the low pump around. Note that now in limp mode, the low pressure is as smooth as glass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This was my rail and low pressure. Rail drops to 124 but low is jumping all over the place. I am not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg. Does the erratic low cause the high to drop or is something going on in the high pp that is throwing the low pump around. Note that now in limp mode, the low pressure is as smooth as glass.
New HPFP, low and high pressure sensors and all good. Also changed all 4 lamda sensors. I drove almost 1000km on just the low pressure pump. I don't think the injectors appreciated that too much. They are leaking. When i shut off the throttle on the freeway the af ratio doesn't go to 234. It sits around 160 although it seems to be improving so they may be cleaning themselves. No money left for new injectors.
Appreciate 0