E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2002 wrx purchase

03-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

2002 wrx purchase

Anyone with knowledge of 2002/03 WRX. I have been thinking of doing a project car and have been looking at the WRX, what are the pros and cons on this car? how much boost can the motor and transmission hold? not looking for major power just a little extra hp. I know the STI is better but not looking to spend too much. 6K to 8K budget. I've heard in the past that the transmission was weak but never did much research on this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
Anyone with knowledge of 2002/03 WRX. I have been thinking of doing a project car and have been looking at the WRX, what are the pros and cons on this car? how much boost can the motor and transmission hold? not looking for major power just a little extra hp. I know the STI is better but not looking to spend too much. 6K to 8K budget. I've heard in the past that the transmission was weak but never did much research on this point.
You will not find a good wrx for $6-8k period. The ej20 is a weak block and the drivetrain as a whole is weak. You will not find one that has been taken care of in a sufficient manner unless you have a significantly larger wallet and I recommend you don't bother with a bugeye WRX.
      03-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Didac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I love the bug eye wrx tHAT HAS BEEN MY Fast's car yet 453whp daily driver ..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I have an '02 wrx. I've had it since I drove it off the lot with about 5 miles on the odometer. Mine has about 128K on it now. I haven't had any serious problems with it. Although I never tracked it; I have beat on it! Lol. Looking back I wish I would've waited and bought a Sti when they came out. The wrx has been a good car for me but performance wise it'll definitely leave you wanting more. I've put a lot of time and money into mine and it's quicker that a mildly modded Sti; which isn't much really. My bone stock 335d pulls harder. Although I do love the sound of my Subaru and although it's not stupid fast it's still a fun car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
The WRX 5sp are natoriously weak. Normal daily driving they last. Any hard launches of boost in power and you are on borrowed time. Motor is fine in stock for but if you add power you will need forged internals. The quality of car you could get for $6k-$8K will likely be completely thrashed and worn out.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Very true I did some research and 6-8K is not resonable, so at this point i'll be looking at an STI or even EVO if I can find one in good condition. I know for a fact that I'll have the WRX broken in a few months if I get my hand on one and started modding, just wasn't sure about the reliablity issue with them in regard to modding. I have heard that the transmissions are pretty weak.
      03-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Precision
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
Very true I did some research and 6-8K is not resonable, so at this point i'll be looking at an STI or even EVO if I can find one in good condition. I know for a fact that I'll have the WRX broken in a few months if I get my hand on one and started modding, just wasn't sure about the reliablity issue with them in regard to modding. I have heard that the transmissions are pretty weak.
You won't be able to get an STI or EVO on that budget either, maybe a rolling shell with no drivetrain components but that is about it.
      03-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
b00st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i

2002 is by far the worst year to look at. The transmissions started to get better(which isn't saying much) in the 2003 models. If you are looking to just do exhaust, tune, and maybe a mild turbo upgrade(VF series), you would be fine, but beyond that you are on borrowed time. Some last longer than others, but it's definitely not recommended. You will be able to hang with a mildly modded STI at that point, but it's still going to make you wish you saved a little more and bought an STI every time. I went through this same thing when I had my 2002 WRX years ago. If you can spring for an Evo, you will have a hard time finding a more fun weekend/track car that can still be used as a DD occasionally. They are a little harsh and peaky with the power when they are modded, but I DD'd my Evo for about 3 years with out too many issues aside from ones that I caused. Just FYI on the on the 2002 WRX, aside from the trans, there was a service bulletin about fuel lines cracking or something and leaking gas. I never had this issue, and they didn't put out the bulletin until I had sold mine already, but it's just something to look out for.

'12 Black Diamond CTS-V Sedan - Stock for now
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Precision
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
2002 is by far the worst year to look at. The transmissions started to get better(which isn't saying much) in the 2003 models. If you are looking to just do exhaust, tune, and maybe a mild turbo upgrade(VF series), you would be fine, but beyond that you are on borrowed time. Some last longer than others, but it's definitely not recommended. You will be able to hang with a mildly modded STI at that point, but it's still going to make you wish you saved a little more and bought an STI every time. I went through this same thing when I had my 2002 WRX years ago. If you can spring for an Evo, you will have a hard time finding a more fun weekend/track car that can still be used as a DD occasionally. They are a little harsh and peaky with the power when they are modded, but I DD'd my Evo for about 3 years with out too many issues aside from ones that I caused. Just FYI on the on the 2002 WRX, aside from the trans, there was a service bulletin about fuel lines cracking or something and leaking gas. I never had this issue, and they didn't put out the bulletin until I had sold mine already, but it's just something to look out for.
2.0L WRX's are laggy as F too
      03-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Had an 04' WRX. Avoid the 02-03, the tranny's are built stronger in the 04-05' years and up.
Appreciate 0