E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Track Pad Reccomendation with Rattle Clip

07-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
rallycobra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Track Pad Reccomendation with Rattle Clip

I have PFC 06 pads in the front and PFC 11 in the rear. In the summer months I run the track pads on the street when I'm going to HPDE events. The fronts are obnoxiously loud since there are no clips and every time I hit a bump in the road they rattle and scare pedestrians.

What endurance track pads have rattle clips for a 2008 M3? Pagid RSL29? Hawk DTC-70? Carbotech XP12? CL RC6E?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Your primary concern with track pads and the reason you want to switch from PFC is that they rattle on the street?

Am I reading this right?
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

uhm why didn't you swap over the stock backing plates? This is why people burn up dust boots too... you need to carry over the stock backing plate since PFC don't come with one.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
paddock__club
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E36, BMW X5 Diesel e70

Something to consider when your picking a track pad is the potential brake torque possible with that pad. It's easy to buy a track pad that has enough brake torque to easily overwhelm a 200 treadwear tire with modest brake pressures. You'll be getting into the ABS very easily and will have less success steering the car using subtle brake inputs. Braking is a big part of turning on a track. You want a pad that is going to modulate well.

I've used HAWK pads on my track E90 with good success. However, if you have some cash to play with I would suggest calling the importers for Endless. I have heard more and more people suggesting them for quiet, effortless street and track use. I've called for a basic consultation and was surprised by the high level of technical support. Might be worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
rallycobra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Yup. My track pads rattle on the street. In the summer I commute to and from work with 275 RE71's on all four corners and track pads. Occasionally I find time to catch an HPDE on the weekend.

Neither my stock or track pads have 'removable backing plates'. Any dust boots on a stock caliper will get cooked. There is no kind of titanium shim that is going to prevent that.

I don't have trouble modulating the brakes with track pads. The purpose of a track pad is to be able to handle the temperature range at the track, not to generate more brake torque. I'll cook hybrid street/track pads in less than a day. E92 M3 is heavy, and there is not enough brake cooling.

Not a big deal, I was just wondering if anyone had RSL19 or Hawk DTC-70 pads for this application. It looks like they have anti rattle clips

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3.../Braking/Pads/
Appreciate 0