E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i Turbos - Stage 2 now installed and reviewed!!

04-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #353
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

For Ontario Canada that is 7% plus 13% taxes, so 20%
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #354
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

E92Fan: do you have the Setrab core product code? was it basically plug and play on the OEM oil lines? Thanks
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #355
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
E92Fan: do you have the Setrab core product code? was it basically plug and play on the OEM oil lines? Thanks
The Setrab core is far from plug and play. You need to fabricate your own brackets and housing. You'll also need to fabricate an air scoop to the front bumper to maximise air flow to the cooler. You'll also need adapters to mount the OEM lines to the new outlets, assuming that the OEM lines will reach the new location. I had new hoses made up as I'm also running a secondary T-piece to a second Setrab oil cooler mounted behind the front kidney grilles.

The wheel-well cooler itself is MUCH bigger than the OEM BMW version - it's a 25 row unit, 13 inches wide. The cooler itself isn't that much money - about 130 Euros for the STD version and 200 Euros for the competition version that I'm using. I don't know offhand the product code for each one - I can find out tomorrow when I'm back with the paperwork...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #356
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

Any dyno updates on this???
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #357
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
yes, dyno dyno!

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #358
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The Setrab core is far from plug and play. You need to fabricate your own brackets and housing. You'll also need to fabricate an air scoop to the front bumper to maximise air flow to the cooler. You'll also need adapters to mount the OEM lines to the new outlets, assuming that the OEM lines will reach the new location. I had new hoses made up as I'm also running a secondary T-piece to a second Setrab oil cooler mounted behind the front kidney grilles.

The wheel-well cooler itself is MUCH bigger than the OEM BMW version - it's a 25 row unit, 13 inches wide. The cooler itself isn't that much money - about 130 Euros for the STD version and 200 Euros for the competition version that I'm using. I don't know offhand the product code for each one - I can find out tomorrow when I'm back with the paperwork...
thanks will monitor my oil temps after the turbo installation and follow your oil cooler upgrade if needed. I rarely see over 120C now with 2 oil coolers but higher power will definitely generate more heat.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #359
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
As Marcel has already mentioned, I'm running an auto transmission. It has held up remarkably well with no signs of fatigue or loss of performance. The gearbox is well maintained and the gearbox oil is checked and replaced regularly. It also helps that the flash tune I have historically been using is designed to be kind to the gearbox, as it employs all BMW standard torque tapering characteristics. I think the gearbox has seen over 250 laps of the 'Ring, maybe close to 300? It's a durable beast!!

Congrats on your new beast !

Did you do all that hardcore ring and autobahn testing with your previous flash tune or the proceede ?
I have an auto tranny myself and am corcerned about it's durability.

Fwiw I am in line for RB turbos and will tune it thru a custom jb3 map.

Thanks and drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #360
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thanks will monitor my oil temps after the turbo installation and follow your oil cooler upgrade if needed. I rarely see over 120C now with 2 oil coolers but higher power will definitely generate more heat.
Yes, you must monitor the oil temps. Although you should also monitor the coolant temp too! With the twin-Setrab setup on my car, I sat at a constant 160mph on the autobahn and the temperature never went above 115 degrees C. At 180mph I registered 120 degrees but no more. Constant lapping of the 'Ring saw 130 degrees maximum. For me, that's an absolutely perfect oil cooling setup
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #361
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:

Enrita,
so u have the stock OC and added the AR secondary OC ?
Did the new AR unit drop your oil temps alot ?

I have the VK OC upgrade but may add the AR OC later as a second unit.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #362
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
Congrats on your new beast !

Did you do all that hardcore ring and autobahn testing with your previous flash tune or the proceede ?
I have an auto tranny myself and am corcerned about it's durability.

Fwiw I am in line for RB turbos and will tune it thru a custom jb3 map.

Thanks and drive safe.
I've done multiple trips to the 'Ring - the original Stage 1 turbos were tested with a flash-based tune, and the Stage 2 has been tested predominantly with the Procede. I have also run the Stage 2 turbos on a flashed ECU for about 500 miles but that was only in the running-in procedure.

The auto transmission has held up perfectly on my car. No issues at all, and that's with a huge amount of very hardcore 'Ring driving as other members will testify to. It's worth doing a gearbox oil change though, just to enhance the life of the 'box. I'm also currently working on fabricating a proper metal sump pan with cooling fins to replace the standard plastic sump tray on the gearbox. That'll take a while, perhaps another month, but it'll definitely be worth it.

I think you'll have great results with the RB solution - will be interesting to see how the JB3 works with it as I have no direct experience of that product. I'm a relative Procede newbie as well for that matter!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #363
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Enrita,

Thanks
If you have the VK OC upgrade, then I'm going to suggest another upgrade for you. Retain use of the VK housing, but ditch the Derale core that VK uses and change it for a Setrab unit. I can help you organise a new Setrab core. You'll need an adapter to change the metric fitting on the Setrab to the AN fitting that the VK lines use, but that's very easy and you'll not need to change the existing VK lines.

The Setrab core works MUCH better than the Durale core, and retains full structural rigidity even when the mounting tabs are cut off. The Derale has an issue in that when the mounting tabs are cut off, as they are for the VK installation, the rigidity of the core itself can be compromised and might lead to a core split. I should know - this has happened TWICE to me already, once on a testing day at Prodrive when I was doing 150mph The spin out due to the oil on the front tyre was mental

The AR secondary unit is a Setrab core and works very well to maintain cool temps. I highly recommend it if you're going to up the power of your car. To give you an example, with just a single Setrab core I hit oil temps of 140 degrees when hot lapping around the 'Ring. Now with the additional AR cooler, and with the car producing much more power, I only hit temps of 130... can't give a better real world recommendation than that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #364
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Enrita,

Thanks
my oil temps dropped maybe 5-10 C. i guess the biggest difference is the rate the temperature increases (slower) and decreases (much faster) . Basically you hold a much steadier and controlled oil temp.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #365
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

My car doesn't even have the stock OC. So far with temps getting up to the 70's (F) my oil temps aren't any higher than they were before. But i'm also not driving around the nuerburgring

I'm going to have to get one at some point though.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #366
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

In my opinion an upgraded Radiator for the water temps is really needed. i will soon get a Beta version from a renowned company. Going to be very interesting and definetely help keep the turbos on the cool side.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #367
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In my opinion an upgraded Radiator for the water temps is really needed. i will soon get a Beta version from a renowned company. Going to be very interesting and definetely help keep the turbos on the cool side.
I'm working on exactly the same thing! Should have the radiator for testing on Monday
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #368
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
If you have the VK OC upgrade, then I'm going to suggest another upgrade for you. Retain use of the VK housing, but ditch the Derale core that VK uses and change it for a Setrab unit. I can help you organise a new Setrab core. You'll need an adapter to change the metric fitting on the Setrab to the AN fitting that the VK lines use, but that's very easy and you'll not need to change the existing VK lines.
as I'm doing exactly that (thanks to you!:-) , is this adapter easy to find?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #369
Aridk
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 335i

Great writeup Tony

I just joined the next groupbayfor the helix Fmic and then planning on a set of downpipes and so I should be fat and happy with my Bmw no more engine modifications but reading through your thread got me all excited on modifing my vastgaterattelling turboīs

Could you please give us I bid more insight(driving not technical) on the difference between stage 1 and 2. Stage 2 is almost twice the price of stage 1 money well sent ??
I realy hate the way our standart turbos tapper off at high rpm, how much improvement do they offer, and how much faster does stage 1 spool up at low rpm than stage 2?

On the subject of your OCīs is It the same core(size) setrab and Ar/Setrab?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #370
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
as I'm doing exactly that (thanks to you!:-) , is this adapter easy to find?
Yes, exceptionally easy. I can't remember the exact AN fitting of the VK lines however, but the adapter is an off-the-shelf part. Your local Mocal dealer, or Raeder Motorsports, should be able to source this easily
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #371
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Yes, exceptionally easy. I can't remember the exact AN fitting of the VK lines however, but the adapter is an off-the-shelf part. Your local Mocal dealer, or Raeder Motorsports, should be able to source this easily
thanks Tony, already had contact and they indeed said "easy, no worries, we have this or can order it if needed"
Really looking forward to see the impact of all the mods and to be able to go flat out without having to worry about 140 degrees or more oiltemps.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #372
Aridk
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 335i

Did you run the same boost levels stage 1 and 2?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #373
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
I've done multiple trips to the 'Ring - the original Stage 1 turbos were tested with a flash-based tune, and the Stage 2 has been tested predominantly with the Procede. I have also run the Stage 2 turbos on a flashed ECU for about 500 miles but that was only in the running-in procedure.

The auto transmission has held up perfectly on my car. No issues at all, and that's with a huge amount of very hardcore 'Ring driving as other members will testify to. It's worth doing a gearbox oil change though, just to enhance the life of the 'box. I'm also currently working on fabricating a proper metal sump pan with cooling fins to replace the standard plastic sump tray on the gearbox. That'll take a while, perhaps another month, but it'll definitely be worth it.

I think you'll have great results with the RB solution - will be interesting to see how the JB3 works with it as I have no direct experience of that product. I'm a relative Procede newbie as well for that matter!
thanks for your input.
let me say for all us n54 guys out there that it is really incredible how much you pushed that 335 of yours !!
i know you spent mucho $$$$. we are all salivating

my guess is that (with no rob beck hick ups), i will the the RB turbos installed in my car within 6 weeks or so.
i do not think you are a 1/4 mile guy and you probably do not have before and after dynos of your stage 2 turbo setup but:
roughly speaking do you know how much whp you added ?
... or can you subjectively say that you got about 20% more power across the board ??

i will probably mod and push my motor as much as you - but the suspension work you did is incredible.
but due to low clearance issues here in south america - i cannot and will not do any suspension work on my daily driven 335.

lastly: thanks for your info re my VK OC.
if you can get me a part number for a better (interchangeable) serab core i will definitely change out the VK OC core.
... and when my larger turbos are in i will probably add the AR OC as a second OC unit ! i cannot wait for all this.

cheers and have fun you dog !

Last edited by midlife; 04-15-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #374
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
my oil temps dropped maybe 5-10 C. i guess the biggest difference is the rate the temperature increases (slower) and decreases (much faster) . Basically you hold a much steadier and controlled oil temp.
thanks... i will add a second OC unit soon.

and JP: do not push your luck man ! you have bigger turbos and not even the stock OC
Appreciate 0