E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2011 328i slight chirping at idle

02-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #1
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

2011 328i slight chirping at idle

I just picked up a 2011 328i with 70k miles for 9k at local dealership. Car had very good maintenance records on carfax and is in very good shape. Runs amazing other than I noticed today a very slight chirping from belt area at idle. Can't really hear it from cabin or with throttle. I know the car needs an oil filter housing gasket badly (front of engine is pretty well coated in grime) and ordered one last night and will be fixing that and changing oil this weekend. I was going to change the tensioner and pulleys and belt, but looking at it I noticed the belt, tensioner and pulley have definitely been recent changed as they look brand new as well as my alternator has brand new looking bolts in it. Where should I start? Belt does not look like it has any oil on it and none of the pulleys look as if they have play when they spin. Also its intermittent. I just was going to take a video of it and of course and it's not doing it. Going to take one in a bit anyways. Will update. Any ideas to start? Could a small drop of oil that I'm not seeing from the leaking housing be the cause? Thanks. The noise honestly is very slight, sounds like a cricket chirping at give or take 1 time every second or so. Thanks for any ideas.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
WoodE30
Capt. Maverick
Rep
Drives: 89 E30 325is, E92 335i N54

Garage List
2013 X5 3.5xdrive  [0.00]
1989 325is  [0.00]
2008 335I coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadogggy View Post
I just picked up a 2011 328i with 70k miles for 9k at local dealership. Car had very good maintenance records on carfax and is in very good shape. Runs amazing other than I noticed today a very slight chirping from belt area at idle. Can't really hear it from cabin or with throttle. I know the car needs an oil filter housing gasket badly (front of engine is pretty well coated in grime) and ordered one last night and will be fixing that and changing oil this weekend. I was going to change the tensioner and pulleys and belt, but looking at it I noticed the belt, tensioner and pulley have definitely been recent changed as they look brand new as well as my alternator has brand new looking bolts in it. Where should I start? Belt does not look like it has any oil on it and none of the pulleys look as if they have play when they spin. Also its intermittent. I just was going to take a video of it and of course and it's not doing it. Going to take one in a bit anyways. Will update. Any ideas to start? Could a small drop of oil that I'm not seeing from the leaking housing be the cause? Thanks. The noise honestly is very slight, sounds like a cricket chirping at give or take 1 time every second or so. Thanks for any ideas.
Sounds like a belt. Even if the belt looks good they can still make noise. Being you don't know for sure if the belt was replace I'd start with that. You can spray a little wd40 on the belt with the engine running and see if it goes away. The new alternator bolts is probably from the PCV valve recall that was recently performed.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodE30 View Post
Sounds like a belt. Even if the belt looks good they can still make noise. Being you don't know for sure if the belt was replace I'd start with that. You can spray a little wd40 on the belt with the engine running and see if it goes away. The new alternator bolts is probably from the PCV valve recall that was recently performed.
Ok it's getting late here, will check it out before my drive tomorrow. Like I said the belt does look brand new and I can say with certainly the tensioner and pulley are definitely new based on them being shiny with new hardware compared to the other components. Did seem to notice slight movement of the belt, but it didn't look to be anything substantial. If it is the belt what brand do you recommend. Contitech is oem correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #4
WoodE30
Capt. Maverick
Rep
Drives: 89 E30 325is, E92 335i N54

Garage List
2013 X5 3.5xdrive  [0.00]
1989 325is  [0.00]
2008 335I coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadogggy View Post
Quote:
Ok it's getting late here, will check it out before my drive tomorrow. Like I said the belt does look brand new and I can say with certainly the tensioner and pulley are definitely new based on them being shiny with new hardware compared to the other components. Did seem to notice slight movement of the belt, but it didn't look to be anything substantial. If it is the belt what brand do you recommend. Contitech is oem correct?
Yeah I believe conti is Oem. Hit up fcpeuro.com
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:28 AM   #5
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I believe conti is Oem. Hit up fcpeuro.com
Ok so I sprayed water on the belt and it quieted it down. Guessing I can just get away with a belt change? going to upload a video.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #6
Yamadogggy
Enlisted Member
Rep

before water
after
Appreciate 0