E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > code 004b99

10-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
newfie36
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335

code 004b99

First off my car is currently running a JR stage 2 tune. Was driving on the highway at about 80 kph there was no power no matter how hard pushing on gas pedal. Car did not shut down and no service engine light. Pulled over and turned car off and back on and drove away with no issues.
On way home from work same thing happened except was only going about 40 KPH no response when pushing on gas pedal and car died on me.
Restarted the car and drove home with no issues.

Ran diagnostics and I am getting the below codes

Fault Code: 00474C
Fault Explanation: DeNOx system, warning and Abschaltszenario
Fault Code: 004C7C
Fault Explanation: Reducing agent dosing valve, control
Fault Code: 004748
Fault Explanation: DeNOx system, warning and Abschaltszenario
Fault Code: 004B99
Fault Explanation: Injectors Bank 2, control

Based on these codes I am assuming I have a injector failure on Bank 2 but it is not identifying which injector specifically?

Any ideas?

Tks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

I had the bank 2 code on my x5 a while ago and in research it's the 456 injectors that share a common wire. One of my injectors had an intermittent bad ground which became worse within a short time. A restart fixed my issue but it became more often and took longer to get restarted.
If the fault is a bad ground, it will pull down the voltage of all injectors on that bank, making the dde not sure which inj is specifically bad.

On the x5 the plastic partitions can crack and leak water onto the engine cover and soak the foam, corroding injector 5 and/or 6. Not sure about the 3 series, but check to see if your foam is wet.
Also with a multimeter take an ohm reading from ground to each of the pins of injectors 4 5 6.
Neg lead clip to a ground point in the engine bay. Pos lead use for testing.
First check you have a good ground by touching the red lead to the engine block/body, expect around 0 ohms. Then check an injector both pins with red lead one by one and after recheck that your ground is good by touching the red to metal on the block/body.

You will see which injector is bad, for example using my readings from memory:
Inj 4 each pin around 300k ohm to ground, like 123
Inj 5 each pin around 500 ohm to ground!
Inj 6 each pin around 4k to ground!?

In this case 5 was the culprit and 6 was next to fail. I changed both and no issues since.

The denox codes could be another issue or caused by the injector issue, not sure.

Last edited by robnitro; 10-20-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
newfie36
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335

Car is currently in the garage until I get back from a work trip this week. Thank you for the excellent information and i test the injectors next weekend.

It is definitely a fuel injector issue.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
I had the bank 2 code on my x5 a while ago and in research it's the 456 injectors that share a common wire. One of my injectors had an intermittent bad ground which became worse within a short time. A restart fixed my issue but it became more often and took longer to get restarted.
If the fault is a bad ground, it will pull down the voltage of all injectors on that bank, making the dde not sure which inj is specifically bad.

On the x5 the plastic partitions can crack and leak water onto the engine cover and soak the foam, corroding injector 5 and/or 6. Not sure about the 3 series, but check to see if your foam is wet.
Also with a multimeter take an ohm reading from ground to each of the pins of injectors 4 5 6.
Neg lead clip to a ground point in the engine bay. Pos lead use for testing.
First check you have a good ground by touching the red lead to the engine block/body, expect around 0 ohms. Then check an injector both pins with red lead one by one and after recheck that your ground is good by touching the red to metal on the block/body.

You will see which injector is bad, for example using my readings from memory:
Inj 4 each pin around 300k ohm to ground, like 123
Inj 5 each pin around 500 ohm to ground!
Inj 6 each pin around 4k to ground!?

In this case 5 was the culprit and 6 was next to fail. I changed both and no issues since.

The denox codes could be another issue or caused by the injector issue, not sure.
Appreciate 0