E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Help with AWD

10-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
jtaliene92
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328XI

Help with AWD

Hi, I have been working on my AWD system for months and I cannot figure out why it is not working. I am using CARLY for my scan tool, I ordered a tool from bimmergeeks to us ista when I get that I will update codes but see below for what I have from CARLY.

DSC- 005F39 CLUTCH POSITION UNKNOWN
DSC- 0053C9 STEERING ANGLE SENSOR LWS SERIAL NUMBER IS WRONG
DSC- 005F48 COMBINED ERROR INVAILD TIME OR TEMP INVALID

TRANSMISSION- 0054C6 OELVERSCHLEISS
TRANSMISSION -005463 FRACTURE MECHANICS

I have replaced the transfer case motor, steering wheel angle sensor with parts off a 328xi sedan. I have drained the transfer case and put new BMW fluid into it. I have also changed every ABS sensor.

If you guys could help this would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
jtaliene92
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328XI

Sorry I forgot to mention this is for a 2007 BMW 328XI Coupe
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
Cm452
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI, stock...for now

So, I'll lead with the confession that I am no xdrive magician. However, I've been wrenching on cars for a long time and generally you want to be methodical when you encounter vexing issues like this. The car is telling you what is wrong....yes, the parts are new but the issue remains, so why?
1) The clutch position must be inferred by a sensor, either a contact or field-effect type. Verify the sensor, wherever it lives, is providing nominal values. Thus can be done via multi meter. There may be a way to make it do a sweep in INPA or ISTA where you can better assess whats going on.
2) check the part number on that steering angle sensor, as it is either the wrong sensor or it needs to be coded to the car. My bet is the former.
3) seems like a by product fault where implausible conditions occurred and it shit itself. Might be a real time clock failure in the dsc cpu, idk....
4) I assume this car is AT? If so, the transmission module is mighty displeased; it thinks you've broken something--badly at that. Does it shift badly? Any noises or hesitation?
I'd work your way down and see if the other trans faults don't clear on their own.
-Cm
Appreciate 0