E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bass/treble etc. button not working

02-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Basir
Complete BMW newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9813 E92 M3 6MT

Bass/treble etc. button not working

Hey guys,

I recently got my first Bimmer. A 2007 E92 328i. Loving it so far. But I've noticed that I can't change any audio settings because the button doesn't work. I mean this button:

(sorry for small pic. too lazy to go take one)

Pressing it does nothing. It's supposed to show a menu for bass/treble/fade and such correct?

Is there something I'm doing wrong, like its locked or something? Is there a way to reset? Or is the button broken, because nothing happens when pressed.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Certainly odd. No, you're not crazy, it IS supposed to do something. Do the buttons on either side work (phone may not do anything if you don't have bluetooth). You CAN reset the module, though it requires a special cable (search coding on the forum, it's not a trivial thing). The first thing to try would be to power cycle the radio by pulling it out and unplugging it for a few minutes (this is not TRIVIAL, but it's not hard).

Question that may or may not be silly: does the button stick at all? My car didn't come with bluetooth, I retrofitted it in, and as a result the phone button to the right had never been used before, and it stuck like crazy. I suppose it's possible yours is too, try pressing harder? Does the menu button above it work?

Someone with a pre-LCI correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember comparing notes with someone and figuring out that pre-LCI radios didn't have the chrome accents on the volume and menu knobs, so I think there's a possibility that your radio has been replaced. Maybe something related there, but nothing I know of.
      02-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Basir
Complete BMW newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9813 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Certainly odd. No, you're not crazy, it IS supposed to do something. Do the buttons on either side work (phone may not do anything if you don't have bluetooth). You CAN reset the module, though it requires a special cable (search coding on the forum, it's not a trivial thing). The first thing to try would be to power cycle the radio by pulling it out and unplugging it for a few minutes (this is not TRIVIAL, but it's not hard).

Question that may or may not be silly: does the button stick at all? My car didn't come with bluetooth, I retrofitted it in, and as a result the phone button to the right had never been used before, and it stuck like crazy. I suppose it's possible yours is too, try pressing harder? Does the menu button above it work?
All buttons work except that one. And the phone once since I don't have bluetooth. The clock button works. Menu button works. But no audio settings in there.

I can't say the button sticks. It does feel a little different than the others, but I may be imagining it. I've tried pressing it as hard as I can and that still does nothing.

I guess I could try pulling it out when I get the chance :/

Worst thing is that the fader for CD is set to the back!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basir View Post
I guess I could try pulling it out when I get the chance :/
Hard to say what the problem is, but taking the radio out isn't too hard (there's a DIY somewhere around here). The catches behind the faceplate are tricky but a little gentle massaging with tongue depressors or a credit card will do it. In and out in less than 30 minutes...

Behind the button is a little rubber "top hat" that contacts the circuit board. It might be gummed up or jammed somehow.
      02-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basir View Post
It does feel a little different than the others, but I may be imagining it.
That's definitely interesting info. My immediate theory is that the button is 'stuck pressed' - I can think of one way for this to happen such that the button feels different, but still generally works. But when I press my button and hold it (as if stuck pressed), none of the other buttons work, even through power cycling and whatnot, so that theory is shot.

I don't know how it'd happen, but there's a chance that the silicone sheet that holds the contact the button actually presses is somehow torn or something, so that the button mushes the silicone but never actually creates a contact. To diagnose that, though, you'd have to pull the radio out AND open it up, more work than most people would be up for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_drei View Post
The catches behind the faceplate are tricky but a little gentle massaging with tongue depressors or a credit card will do it.
My favorite method is to bend 1/4 inch on the end of a credit card and use it as a hook to pull the climate panel off. An old CC, gift card, or store loyalty card will do the trick.
      02-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There is and Audio Sub forum here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Repair resources
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635672
http://www.bmwgm5.com/Logic7_6941681.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-C...ioQ5fVideo#ht_
http://www.diyparadise.net/bmw_cd73_repair.html
http://www.bmwradiorepair.com/?gclid...FccbQgodIEn0Cg

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...3&d=1169133185
Radio Manual below

I think you should read the manual listed above to make sure you are
going through the correct selection process.
I thought the audio button might be and alternate route to setting
bass , treble and fader.

Last edited by ctuna; 02-17-2014 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0