E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Using mobile phone when driving

11-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #1
Shane.
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M Sport

Garage List
Using mobile phone when driving

As above just want to warn everyone.

I got in the car this morning and put my phone on my drivers seat, i was driving along on a straight road at 40mph and my phone made a noise to alert me i had a message i glanced across at my screen at this point i picked it up and placed it in my drivers side pocket at no point did i unlock the phone, or attempted to reply to the message etc. Then from out of the trees a police bike appeared and waved me down. I pulled over and he explained why he had pulled me over and said it doesn't matter if you had been using the phone or not you moved it and by holding it your committing an offence. I wasn't going to start arguing with the officer as i don't think it will achieve anything. what i did was its no different to moving anything in the car, or adjusting my heating etc.

I have been reported for the offence and told i will be getting 3 penalty points and a £100 fine. From now on i plan to put my phone in my glovebox.

Last edited by Shane.; 11-17-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

How could he see all of that unless you have a convertible? It seems unreasonable to me, but given the number of terrible accidents caused by distraction, it is understandable how they want to discourage drivers from using phones.
      11-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

That's Y mine connects to my car straight away so that I don't need to handle it at all,,,,

I would argue the fact as there would be no video evidence,,,,,
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

My neighbor was arrested for the same reason. She spent the night in a cell. The case went to court and the fines were eventually dropped and she was cleared. The arresting officer thought it was a mobile phone but the phone was in her bag behind her seat. It was a black vaping device she had in her hand. The officers didn't bother to search the car. She feels it was racially motivated but cannot prove this. She was cleared because key cctv footage from a nearby store came to light.

Sorry to hear what happened with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Hmm interesting OP. Hope you get it sorted for yourself

Personally I'd be a hypocrite if I said I never used my phone whilst it's sat in its cradle. Whether it's to adjust the route for my sat nav or whatever, I end up doing it. Would I be let off because it's in its cradle? Doubt it. Is it any less distracting? Doubt it. Guess I should think twice next time.

I do however still see a lot of people still who don't use a cradle, hands free or Bluetooth and have their phone in one hand talking on it or in both hands texting. IMO that's 100 times worse but hey... Who am I to judge...

I don't think I'd argue with the police either unless as above there was a very good reason. Seen too many accidents caused by phones so I know why they're so harsh on it
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not surprising really. There have recently been a number of well publicised fatalities in court where phone use was the cause. It's amazing how many people you can still see on the phone whilst driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane. View Post

I got in the car this morning and put my phone on my drivers seat, i was driving along on a straight road at 40mph and my phone made a noise to alert me i had a message i glanced across at my screen at this point i picked it up and placed it in my drivers side pocket at no point did i unlock the phone, or attempted to reply to the message etc. Then from out of the trees a police bike appeared and waved me down. I pulled over and he explained why he had pulled me over and said it doesn't matter if you had been using the phone or not you moved it and by holding it your committing an offence. I wasn't going to start arguing with the officer as i don't think it will achieve anything. what i did was its no different to moving anything in the car, or adjusting my heating etc.

I have been reported for the offence and told i will be getting 3 penalty points and a £100 fine. From now on i plan to put my phone in my glovebox.
Interesting. What exactly is the offence there. Is making physical contact with a phone an offence? What about a drinks bottle?

The point I'm making is this seems to apply that you can touch anything in your car except your phone, regardless of whether it is on or off?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

Difficult pill to swallow but I kind of see why they did it.

Why did you put your phone in your lap? Why did it need to be out of your pocket/bag/whatever it would usually be carried in? It sounds like if it was on your drivers seat it was in between your legs on your lap or something.

The Police argument which is valid would be that regardless of whether or not it made a noise, you didn't need to look at, touch or move the phone whilst driving.

I know they changed the offence a couple of years ago now so a CU80 covers any handheld device, so it's the same penalty if you're caught touching your sat nav etc now.

The .Gov description is "CU80 - Breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle, mobile telephone etc"

It's just not worth the aggro, I always leave my phone in my pocket but I'd be lying if I said that if my phone rang whilst driving I wouldn't slip it out to see what name is on the screen... I certainly wouldn't ever text/call/use the phone whilst driving though.

Not ideal just before Christmas but you certainly won't do it again!

PS. Don't forget to notify your insurer of the conviction.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:

And its ok to hold a bog on your lap when driving. This world is going nuts.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #10
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

that sucks

although I don't really see how this could have been spotted if you moved the phone from the drivers seat to the side drivers pocket? and also if the bike was parked up behind a tree also rather than riding beside you... that just seems to be the worst luck ever.

07 E90 335i: JB4, Trebila BEF, BMS DCI, VRSF DPs, Scoops, 19" CSL Reps, 5" ETS FMIC, VTT Inlets, BMS CP, HKS BOV, BMS Meth Injection - sold
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Surely there's no need to be holding or touching a phone whilst driving.
Mines blue toothed to my car or the transit.
On my way home this afternoon I had to avoid a guy negotiating a roundabout in his 16 plate range with his phone clamped to his ear & wandering across lanes.
It's not just phones though, whilst driving the van I've seen women putting on make up or doing there hair, people eating, guys shaving with an electric razor & one guy a couple of years ago on the M2 driving whilst having a wank, we tooted him as he was going past us & he looked at us smiled took his other hand of the steering wheel & gave us a cheery wave
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 11-30-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Imagine seeing that kinda shit every day. No wonder cops are pissed off when they pull you over
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
If it was up to me anyone caught using a handheld phone or doing there make up etc whilst driving would get a fine & 6 points for a first offence & if caught a second time there car would be taken away & crushed

Last edited by Chappers 71; 11-30-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #14
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
My neighbor was arrested for the same reason. She spent the night in a cell. The case went to court and the fines were eventually dropped and she was cleared. The arresting officer thought it was a mobile phone but the phone was in her bag behind her seat. It was a black vaping device she had in her hand. The officers didn't bother to search the car. She feels it was racially motivated but cannot prove this. She was cleared because key cctv footage from a nearby store came to light.

'She feels it was racially motivated'
all to easy to play the race card
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #15
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post

'She feels it was racially motivated'
all to easy to play the race card
I'm still trying to work out how she was arrested (and kept in custody) for using her mobile phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #16
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Apparently they kept telling her that they was no one at the station to deal with her so they dragged it out. There was more too it... something about how the officer felt she was driving dangerously so it is almost like they picked her out... said neighbour has moved on since as it did some damage to her reputation... she is a high family law lawyer...

I don't think it is a card that is played my friend. I cannot comment as I have never been in such a situation myself but there is no denying racism does exist in the forces.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #17
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes it really does, have been singled out myself before.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #18
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Did you guys see that story recently about what happens to drivers in China if they drive with full beans on? The police make them sit for a minute in front of their car's headlights, brilliant.

We need some of thinking here. Too many idiots on the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #19
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Did you guys see that story recently about what happens to drivers in China if they drive with full beans on? The police make them sit for a minute in front of their car's headlights, brilliant.

We need some of thinking here. Too many idiots on the road.
Which type-kidney,green,kidney?.Mmmm cheesy beans on toast
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #20
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Which type-kidney,green,kidney?.Mmmm cheesy beans on toast
Cheese under or over the beans?