E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Trunk Floor Comparment Sub

10-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
pupsterdo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Trunk Floor Comparment Sub

I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my 2007 328xi coupe that fits under the floor compartment area in the trunk? I know that BSW makes a subwoofer for that compartment, but it comes with a hefty price tag so I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on subwoofer enclosures that fit in that area?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsterdo
I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my 2007 328xi coupe that fits under the floor compartment area in the trunk? I know that BSW makes a subwoofer for that compartment, but it comes with a hefty price tag so I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on subwoofer enclosures that fit in that area?
The price is actually pretty good since it comes with a subwoofer in a enclosure, amplifier, and the wires from what I read.

You'll be spending more if you got it customized from an audio shop because they usually charged $700+ for a custom enclosure.
      10-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
The price is actually pretty good since it comes with a subwoofer in a enclosure, amplifier, and the wires from what I read.

You'll be spending more if you got it customized from an audio shop because they usually charged $700+ for a custom enclosure.
http://www.musicarnw.com/bmw-subwoofers/
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

The trunk floor is a BAD location for a sub. It won't sound very good, nor will it be very loud. Your best and easiest bet is the corner-loaded enclosure set-up in the link above, or you can piece it together yourself if you want to save a few bucks.
      10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Or you could get an Infinite Baffle set up, but just depends on how much work you'd be happy with being done to your car.

I'm hoping to get a IB sub installed in the next few weeks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Or you could get an Infinite Baffle set up, but just depends on how much work you'd be happy with being done to your car.

I'm hoping to get a IB sub installed in the next few weeks
What sub are you using? How are you making the baffle?
      11-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
What sub are you using? How are you making the baffle?
Im not doing the install myself, think i'd mess it up! Don't know too much about the baffle, but i think its going to be a large piece covering the back of the rear seat essentially. Then somehow attached and sealed. Sorry i can't help any more. If you send MrSingh a PM he should be able to tell you (he's my installer for this project)

About the sub im looking at a Fi Audio IB3 12. You had any experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Im not doing the install myself, think i'd mess it up! Don't know too much about the baffle, but i think its going to be a large piece covering the back of the rear seat essentially. Then somehow attached and sealed. Sorry i can't help any more. If you send MrSingh a PM he should be able to tell you (he's my installer for this project)

About the sub im looking at a Fi Audio IB3 12. You had any experience with this?
Looks like you're on the right track, and ahead of me! I'm sure you saw this thread, right?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740146

Would be interesting if you tried that first, since it would cost you a lot less. I think the back seat is already so well insulated from the main cabin, that a separate baffle may not be necessary!
      11-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Looks like you're on the right track, and ahead of me! I'm sure you saw this thread, right?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740146

Would be interesting if you tried that first, since it would cost you a lot less. I think the back seat is already so well insulated from the main cabin, that a separate baffle may not be necessary!
Yeah i did read that thread but completely forgot to mention that method to MrSingh. Will suggest that to him when we talk next. Personally i think it should work as long as its strong enough to hold roughly 40pounds over bumps and bends.

Yeah think you're right about the insulation. Only difference i will have is i have no ski hole, so will need to do some modification.

Just a shame i have to wait 3-4 weeks as he has no IB3s in stock. But hopefully it will be worth it!

Where are you at on your sub? Have you decided on one?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Yeah i did read that thread but completely forgot to mention that method to MrSingh. Will suggest that to him when we talk next. Personally i think it should work as long as its strong enough to hold roughly 40pounds over bumps and bends.

Yeah think you're right about the insulation. Only difference i will have is i have no ski hole, so will need to do some modification.

Just a shame i have to wait 3-4 weeks as he has no IB3s in stock. But hopefully it will be worth it!

Where are you at on your sub? Have you decided on one?
I'm actually planning on doing something different first, going to a 12" corner-loaded set-up. So essentially, we both have flip-flopped our plans, LOL. I want to move more into the SQL direction so I have done some research and I have found a possible solution to get a LOT more SPL in the cabin without sacrificing SQ. This involves a 12" sub with super low Qts and super high x-max and "squeezing" it into a new custom corner-loaded enclosure. I would need to increase the output to the sub to roughly 1000-1200W to get there, so I would also get a new mono amp. If my calculations are correct, the output would equal or better that of two 12W6v2 subs on 500w each.

Once I start on the project I'll start a thread. It is more curiosity than anything else to prove that you can have monster SPL and SQ from a single 12 in this car.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.
      11-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Give VP Electricity / MusicarNW a PM or call. The work they do is INCREDIBLE.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually planning on doing something different first, going to a 12" corner-loaded set-up. So essentially, we both have flip-flopped our plans, LOL. I want to move more into the SQL direction so I have done some research and I have found a possible solution to get a LOT more SPL in the cabin without sacrificing SQ. This involves a 12" sub with super low Qts and super high x-max and "squeezing" it into a new custom corner-loaded enclosure. I would need to increase the output to the sub to roughly 1000-1200W to get there, so I would also get a new mono amp. If my calculations are correct, the output would equal or better that of two 12W6v2 subs on 500w each.

Once I start on the project I'll start a thread. It is more curiosity than anything else to prove that you can have monster SPL and SQ from a single 12 in this car.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Haha yeah we have swapped our upgrades

You're after something im working towards too, having both SPL and SQ. But i don't think i need monster SPL, which is why im going the IB route. I think it should have enough SPL for me. Will be really interesting to hear how you get on. Good luck!
Appreciate 0