E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Flash Failure

08-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e93

MHD Flash Failure

Like all the other posts about this topic, I'm a little stressed right now because my car is a sitting brick. I tried flashing my car last night and it didn't even get to a percentage. I think at one point it said "Preparing DME" or something like then an then it gave a connection error. I did have a battery charger hooked up (Schumacher SC1279) which is an 8amp. But unfortunately I made the mistake to not let it charge fully thinking it was charged enough and ended up getting a low battery indicator. I think the other mistake was pressing the start button once instead twice.

I was able to backup the ECU and view the Fault Codes at one point.

Things I tried the first time:
Opened hood and plugged up the charger
Pressed button and turned off AC/Auto Lights, and Music
Plugged DCAN into port
Connected the tablet and opened MHD app (I did put it in airplane mode)
Backed up ECU and looked at codes
Then tried to Flash using v8 93OCT Stage 1

Things I've tried so far after it failed:
Took off battery black terminal to reset ECU (around 10 minutes)
Charged the battery to full
Then tried to connect back with same results

Equipment being used:
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 10
LZLRUN K+DCAN - http://a.co/g8CXEiZ (It seem like people had good success with this cable and MHD)
UGREEN Micro USB 2.0 OTG - http://a.co/0nUX4E6

Now I'm desperate to know what to do next. I don't have another Android device but if I need to purchase one I will. Do I need to go with another OTG cable? Another K+DCAN cable that is proven? Stronger Battery Charger?

I would be curious to know why it worked at first where I can at least read and now it doesn't when it comes to the cables and device.

I appreciate anyone's help on this.

Last edited by 305; 08-13-2018 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

Which year is ur car?. It's more and likely a cable issue. Try another otg cable and another d can cable. Or do u know a friend that has a DCan cable that's in use? I use a DCan cable as my car is a late 2007. K line are for models up to 2007. As far as I'm aware anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
Rep

It's an 08 e93 335i. I'm going to order another OTG and DCAN from Bimmergeeks. I'm just shocked that the cable at least was able to read with no issues, then it can't.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone over here in Tampa that has one. If I can find someone on this board who can help out, that would be great.

Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Lights on the dash need to be on. If you have comfort access without the fob in the slot, push start twice (no brake pedal). If non-CA, insert fob and push start once (no brake). Do not open or close the doors once you start. I usually keep the doors closed and reach in the through the window. Turn off DRLs and A/C.

EDIT: need to start another flash for it to recover.
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50
      08-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Rep

Thanks RSL. I have a slot and I have comfort access. I'll check to see if the lights on the dash come on after pressing it once but I believe they come on after pressing it twice.

I'm going to try again once I get my new K+DCAN cable, OTG cable , and Tablet.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #6
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Its most likely one of your KDCAN/OTG/Tablet.
Those amazon cables are junk tbh, lots of issues with them, the bimmergeeks KDCAN + OTG work great.

I have also heard of people having issues flashing when using tablets, might consider trying a phone instead.

Last edited by BM3Rrrr; 08-13-2018 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:12 AM   #7
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305 View Post
Like all the other posts about this topic, I'm a little stressed right now because my car is a sitting brick. I tried flashing my car last night and it didn't even get to a percentage. I think at one point it said "Preparing DME" or something like then an then it gave a connection error. I did have a battery charger hooked up (Schumacher SC1279) which is an 8amp. But unfortunately I made the mistake to not let it charge fully thinking it was charged enough and ended up getting a low battery indicator. I think the other mistake was pressing the start button once instead twice.

I was able to backup the ECU and view the Fault Codes at one point.

Things I tried the first time:
Opened hood and plugged up the charger
Pressed button and turned off AC/Auto Lights, and Music
Plugged DCAN into port
Connected the tablet and opened MHD app
Backed up ECU and looked at codes
Then tried to Flash using v8 93OCT Stage 1

Things I've tried so far after it failed:
Took off battery black terminal to reset ECU (around 10 minutes)
Charged the battery to full
Then tried to connect back with same results

Equipment being used:
Amazon Kinds Fire HD 10
LZLRUN K+DCAN - http://a.co/g8CXEiZ (It seem like people had good success with this cable and MHD)
UGREEN Micro USB 2.0 OTG - http://a.co/0nUX4E6

Now I'm desperate to know what to do next. I don't have another Android device but if I need to purchase one I will. Do I need to go with another OTG cable? Another K+DCAN cable that is proven? Stronger Battery Charger?

I would be curious to know why it worked at first where I can at least read and now it doesn't when it comes to the cables and device.

I appreciate anyone's help on this.

I am using that same exact DCAN Cable without any issues flashing, along with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 AND https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hooked up to a Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) model.
Maybe you received a defective DCan cable?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Rep

It's possible I got a bad one but I ordered a BimmerGeeks one so I'm just waiting on that. I also ordered a couple more OTG's just in case and a Samsung tablet. I should have everything by Thursday. So we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305 View Post
It's possible I got a bad one but I ordered a BimmerGeeks one so I'm just waiting on that. I also ordered a couple more OTG's just in case and a Samsung tablet. I should have everything by Thursday. So we'll see.
Just food for thought the Samsung tablet doesn't support host mode charging.
Check this site out. http://mehrvarz.github.io/usb-otg-power-nexus7/

Host mode charging allows you to use the tablet while having a power source hooked up charging it at the same time. There is a custom kernel you have to flash onto a Google Nexus 7 2013 tablet after it is rooted and have the bootloader unlocked. Wug Fresh nexus root tool kit should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
GxTwo
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 335i

I'm in the process of trying to convince myself to do the flash but stories like this give me doubts

Hopefully just the cable and you get it sorted!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #11
Rep

Thanks addictedtoboost. I don't plan on keeping the tablet in the car all the time. I'll just pull out from time to time. Right now I just want to get this car flashed and working.

GxTwo
I hope so too. I hear you on doing it but it sounds like it's worth it when it does get flashed. It's this first long flash we have to get past. After thinking I did the right things from the user guide, it's hit or miss. Too many variables could go wrong. It could be the DCAN cable. It could be the OTG cable. It could be your Android device. It could be your battery is not fully charged which is not in the user guide. I just states to use a battery charger which I did. Even when it comes to the battery charger it just states a 12V and doesn't state what's the minimal amp. Some people say 7, some say 8+, some recommend 12 so who knows. I guess as long as it's fully charged and the battery charger is still running, it should be fine.

I contacted MHD and they mentioned that most flashes fail due to lack of current or unreliable KDCAN cables. They also mentioned I could just bridge my battery to another car running. I do have this option too.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #12
RSL
Captain
Rep

If your battery is in good shape, takes almost no current on the charger anymore since MHD now kills the LPFP and the radio during flash. I can do a 20 or 40 minute write with just 2A on the charger and never falls below 11.9V, but if in doubt 5-10A should be more than enough. 2007s may be a bit more finicky with voltage/current though.

I would just try it again right now if you need the car running, it's not going to be in any better or worse shape if it was a cable or the tablet and it fails again, but it sounds like the failure was simply from ignition not in the run position or possibly the DME going to sleep mid process.

1) open hood and connect charger, but don't need to turn on yet
2) in the car, connect the tablet to the OBD-II, open windows, turn off DRLs, A/C, fan, etc. then turn the car off. Keep the tablet where you can reach it through a window.
3) get out, close doors, turn on charger (do not open/close doors/hood/trunk at this point until flash is complete)
4) toss the fob on a seat through the window
5) through the window, press the start button twice without the fob in the slot. First press is accessory position, second press is run position. Indicator lights on the dash should all come on with the second press and then go off, except for maybe SES light.
6) open MHD app if not already open/connected from when you plugged it in and select whichever option your doing to flash (custom, etc).
7) select your map
8) if the last flash attempt failed, it will be in recovery mode and you will normally be presented with options to either retry a failed flash or do a full write (~40 minutes). If it failed on the very first attempt to flash with MHD, your only option may be the full write, but in either case, if presented with the option to do a full write or not, I would do it just to be sure every byte is written.

If there are really no issues with the cable/tablet, it will flash and your car will be running again in about 45 minutes. If it fails again, retry this exact same way when the new cable shows up.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #13
Rep

Thanks for the write up RSL. Shouldn't I still be able to at least go into CODES, READ DME CODES? Sorry I'm not yelling , it's in caps on the app. I can't even read the codes anymore. I was able to before the flash to v8 map started. Now it says something about not being able to connect.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #14
RSL
Captain
Rep

I wouldn't expect it to be able able to read codes if it erased and then failed to write anything back. Try to reflash first. If it doesn't connect for that and did before, might be a cable or loose connection in one of the cable sockets, but if it connects, let the flash run. The flash needs to complete successfully for the DME to function.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #15
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by GxTwo View Post
I'm in the process of trying to convince myself to do the flash but stories like this give me doubts

I wouldn't worry too much tbh, if you get the right cables and device to flash the first time you wont run into any issues. ie: don't get a cheap Amazon/Ebay cable, just get the bimmergeeks one. Soo many people have issues with the flash and its usually because of faulty cables.
      08-14-2018, 03:04 AM   #16
GxTwo
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
I wouldn't worry too much tbh, if you get the right cables and device to flash the first time you wont run into any issues. ie: don't get a cheap Amazon/Ebay cable, just get the bimmergeeks one. Soo many people have issues with the flash and its usually because of faulty cables.
I'm in the UK so i'm going to go with CableShack UK. It's recommended supplier in the MHD Instructions.

@305 - Yeah seems like a lot of variables to fail. I don't mind buying two cables and a couple OTGs so I'm hopefully covered. I have access to 3x phones and a tablet, so surely one of them will be ok. I just can't afford having the car bricked for a few days.

Have you tried anymore or are you just waiting for the new cables?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
Rep

@RSL - That makes sense about the DME.

@GxTwo - I was going to mention that. Try to have more than one of everything just in case. You can always return what you don't use. Even for the Battery charger, get one and also have a car on standby to jump over to if needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

Same here...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

You guys keep trying to convince yourself lol...
Then,
Not to mention save 10 bucks and buy a ebay / amazon cable and start a useless new thread
      08-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #20
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

Quote:
I'm in the UK so i'm going to go with CableShack UK. It's recommended supplier in the MHD Instructions.

@305 - Yeah seems like a lot of variables to fail. I don't mind buying two cables and a couple OTGs so I'm hopefully covered. I have access to 3x phones and a tablet, so surely one of them will be ok. I just can't afford having the car bricked for a few days.

GxTwo when u do decide to do the flash ...and for any reason u run into problems which u shouldn't, send me a pm and I'll pop over with my cables etc..... help u out. It shouldn't come to that but if it does 🙂👍

Last edited by snedanator; 08-14-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #21
Rep

Quote:
Just waiting on new cables and I ordered another Android device just in case it's that. Everything should come by Thursday. Just have double of everything because from reading other posts, it's not always the cable. I work from home so I'm good for now. It's been raining so I haven't tried it again. I'll just wait until I get everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #22
209alpine3series
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Anyone in the central valley able to help with flashing?
Appreciate 0