E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2008 CIC iDrive

02-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
MikewhitE92
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

2008 CIC iDrive

Hi all,

I have a later end 2008 e92 330i. This has the newer CIC iDrive fitted from factory and was not a retrofit.

I am now looking to update the maps on my car as they have not been updated since the car was manufactured, so still showing the 2008 maps. My issue is that I been been told that if you do not have the 'i' on the current maps then you cannot do the update through the USB method and will need to do a firmware update.

1 - Is this correct?
2 - How do I go about this? I have spoken to BMW and they seem reluctant to do this!

Any help around this would be greatly appreciated. I hardly use the maps but I am looking to sell the car this year and would like to get everything up to date on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikewhitE92 View Post
Hi all,

I have a later end 2008 e92 330i. This has the newer CIC iDrive fitted from factory and was not a retrofit.

I am now looking to update the maps on my car as they have not been updated since the car was manufactured, so still showing the 2008 maps. My issue is that I been been told that if you do not have the 'i' on the current maps then you cannot do the update through the USB method and will need to do a firmware update.

1 - Is this correct?
2 - How do I go about this? I have spoken to BMW and they seem reluctant to do this!

Any help around this would be greatly appreciated. I hardly use the maps but I am looking to sell the car this year and would like to get everything up to date on it.
Early CIC firmware's did not support map updates by USB. You will need to have your CIC flashed at a shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:
Hi all,

1 - Is this correct?

I believe if you dig around on a certain uk car tech board, you might be able to find the 4 DVD method for updating your CiC. They will probably be able to tell you more about how to get the code for the update also.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I believe if you dig around on a certain uk car tech board, you might be able to find the 4 DVD method for updating your CiC. They will probably be able to tell you more about how to get the code for the update also.
I don't think the USB FSC method works with old firmware version.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I don't think the USB FSC method works with old firmware version.
I don't think so either... but there are people on that board that have access to things in Europe we only dream about over here.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 02:17 AM   #6
MikewhitE92
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Hey all, thanks for the reply’s, my car does not have the specified DVD slot to do the map updates this way. Spoke to my local BMW and they just said about giving me a USB for the newer maps when I know this isn’t going to work, so not sure where to go from here!?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey all, thanks for the reply’s, my car does not have the specified DVD slot to do the map updates this way. Spoke to my local BMW and they just said about giving me a USB for the newer maps when I know this isn’t going to work, so not sure where to go from here!?
As I said, the other board has far far more information about updating EU / UK specific navigation systems than this board which is mostly USA based systems.

From what I have read, no there is not a DVD navigation drive like on the CCC units. But you actually load the navigation updates on to DVD's and put them in the same slot as the "music" cd's. I've even read about that on this board where people state they have had to update their CiC with navigation updates on DVD's to a certain point and at that point they are able to use the USB method. But again, this was on USA based vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #8
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
As I said, the other board has far far more information about updating EU / UK specific navigation systems than this board which is mostly USA based systems.

From what I have read, no there is not a DVD navigation drive like on the CCC units. But you actually load the navigation updates on to DVD's and put them in the same slot as the "music" cd's. I've even read about that on this board where people state they have had to update their CiC with navigation updates on DVD's to a certain point and at that point they are able to use the USB method. But again, this was on USA based vehicles.
The CIC has a combo CD and DVD bay. You can watch DVDs on the CIC if you want. OP should have the dealer update the cic firmware, then he can update the maps for free with a USB stick.
Appreciate 0