E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ECS Tuning Spacers - 10mm problem

04-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #1
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

ECS Tuning Spacers - 10mm problem

Hi,
I have bought 2 sets of ECS 10mm spacers for my 2008 BMW E92 335i
I have got the matching extended bolts too.
However, I found that there is a little gap between the spacers and the wheels, is it normal?
There is no gap between spacers and the hubs though.
The spacers are not bent in any way.

There seems to have a beveled edge on the ECS tuning spacer lip which matches the beveled edge on the rim.
I am thinking if it's the very bottom lip after the beveled edge cannot get into the rim and causing that gap?

BMS spacer doesn't seem having that beveled edge, may someone confirm that please?

And for the meantime, is it safe to drive? Every time I have driven the car now, I went and checked all bolts are tight.
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I'd say the wheel isn't sitting flush on the face of the spacer but is 'balancing' as it were, on the additional lip on the center portion of the spacer. Looks like a poor design to me. H&R spacers, for example, don't have that additional 'step'. See here:

Name:  DRS-15mm.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  152.1 KB
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
I'd say the wheel isn't sitting flush on the face of the spacer but is 'balancing' as it were, on the additional lip on the center portion of the spacer. Looks like a poor design to me. H&R spacers, for example, don't have that additional 'step'. See here:

Attachment 1614603
Thanks.
I am thinking to buy another 10mm set from BMS now. Thought ECS is a good and reliable brand until now.

For the meantime, is it safe to drive with that little gap?

The steering wheel is also shaking, not sure if it is caused by that gap. But I have checked all wheel bolts are tight, it doesn't seem like the wheel is loose and causing the shaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
10mm spacers is the grey area of spacers for these cars. Because of the flange length, it is impossible to put a flange on the spacer. Do the right thing and get a set of 12mm+ spacers with a flange.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I believe Turner wrote an article on the 10mm spacer dilemma. The best fix, really, is just stepping up to 12mm spacers. Also, ECS, BMS, and VRSF spacers all seem to be identical so switching brands won't help.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #6
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeGovernor View Post
10mm spacers is the grey area of spacers for these cars. Because of the flange length, it is impossible to put a flange on the spacer. Do the right thing and get a set of 12mm+ spacers with a flange.
Unless the 12mm spacer doesn't have that beveled edge, otherwise, I think there will still be a gap.
It seems that the BMS one doesn't have a beveled edge on the spacer lip which looks just like the stock lip (straight into the rim).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I believe Turner wrote an article on the 10mm spacer dilemma. The best fix, really, is just stepping up to 12mm spacers. Also, ECS, BMS, and VRSF spacers all seem to be identical so switching brands won't help.
Looking at Phil325i post, the HR spacers don't seem having any beveled edge on the lip.
The BMS one from their website doesn't look like having a beveled edge too?
Anyone having BMS spacers could confirm please?

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_wheel_spacers.html
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ASN View Post
Looking at Phil325i post, the HR spacers don't seem having any beveled edge on the lip.
The BMS one from their website doesn't look like having a beveled edge too?
Anyone having BMS spacers could confirm please?

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_wheel_spacers.html
I have BMS 10mm and they have the edge cut out for hubcentric. Fit perfectly flush with the hub and wheel.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      04-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
I have BMS 10mm and they have the edge cut out for hubcentric. Fit perfectly flush with the hub and wheel.
Hi weehe126,
So, the BMS lip is a straight cut without any beveled or curved edge? Excellent!
Thanks!

I notice another issue with any spacers smaller than 10mm which doesn't have the lip.
The OEM lip is around 12mm depth, if you use a 5mm spacer, there is around 7mm left for the rim to sit on.
However, due to the beveled edge on the rim, the actual mounting surface is far less than that. If the beveled edge on the rim is 3mm, there are only 4mm OEM lip supporting the rim!

May I ask if anyone knows by how much minimum depth should the rim be sit on the lip please?
Apparently hub extender doesn't work on rear.
Front is good with 10mm spacers but it's too much for the rear and causing rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
To determine what thickness of spacer you can fit without rubbing, you simply need to measure! I would be surprised if 10mm would cause rubbing at the rear. See here:

E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #11
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ASN View Post
Hi weehe126,
So, the BMS lip is a straight cut without any beveled or curved edge? Excellent!
Thanks!

I notice another issue with any spacers smaller than 10mm which doesn't have the lip.
The OEM lip is around 12mm depth, if you use a 5mm spacer, there is around 7mm left for the rim to sit on.
However, due to the beveled edge on the rim, the actual mounting surface is far less than that. If the beveled edge on the rim is 3mm, there are only 4mm OEM lip supporting the rim!

May I ask if anyone knows by how much minimum depth should the rim be sit on the lip please?
Apparently hub extender doesn't work on rear.
Front is good with 10mm spacers but it's too much for the rear and causing rubbing.
The BMS spacer has the cut-out for the hub.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
To determine what thickness of spacer you can fit without rubbing, you simply need to measure! I would be surprised if 10mm would cause rubbing at the rear. See here:

I have got 9.5" width rim with ET33 along with Bilstein B14 coilover.
Ride height at 580mm
Maybe that's why.
Appreciate 0