E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2E8E/2AA1 - No Start Condition

02-11-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Diego_89
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i - Silver

2E8E/2AA1 - No Start Condition

Hello all,

As the title states, I have a 2010 E90 N52 that is not starting. Will turnover and crank just fine but will not even hesitate/sputter.

I recently noticed the comfort access lights/headlights would not turn on upon unlocking the car and thought my battery was on the way out (was still OEM from 09).

Before purchasing a new battery I knew that these cars had to have the battery registered/coded if different battery was dropped in. I bought a direct replacement with the same 80aH and type Pb. Swap was pretty straight forward and for the first 48 hours there was no issue, although the comfort access issue did not get fixed.

I purchased the iCarly app and successfully registered the new battery. This is when the issue started, I was set to head out and started the car like normal. Approx. 15 seconds at idle and the car shut off and has not started since.

After purchasing a K+CAN cable and downloading BMW Standard Tool/ISTA+ I've been able to see the two codes listed.

2E8E - IBS Sensor Missing
2AA1 - Camshaft Sensor, exhaust, signal

Clearing the codes does not change the behavior and they come right back after one start attempt.

I did briefly show a code A0B4 - Engine Starter Operation but only the one time and the starter is engaging/turning over the engine unlike all the other people who have had that error and note the starter not responding/just clicking.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of issue? I'm about ready to buy a new IBS sensor but I'm not one to normally just throw parts at a problem.

Any help, guidance (esp in ISTA) or input is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Diego
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
Diego_89
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i - Silver

Things I've tested:
Spark - OK
Fuel both pump operation and pressure - OK
Voltage at IBS - red wire 12v white/gray 12v/7v
VANOS Solenoids - OK
VVT Motor - OK

Tried completely disconnecting IBS with no luck. Not sure what lead me to test the latter -- the forums can be quite a rabbit hole.

Last edited by Diego_89; 02-11-2019 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
thechandler81
Registered
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, e90 325, x35d

Did you ever find a solution on this? Having the same exact problem minus the 2aa1 error.
Appreciate 0