E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > For anyone thinking about doing the rear foglight mod

09-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
Pilarskica
Private
Rep
Drives: Black E90

For anyone thinking about doing the rear foglight mod

I found this on Etsy, it's the 3d printed plunger that will keep you from having to build your own plunger to enable the fog lights:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7968011...kaAk27EALw_wcB

It's only like 10 doll hairs shipped. It would of been worth it the first time to not have to build my own solution that would eventually stop working.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilarskica View Post
I found this on Etsy, it's the 3d printed plunger that will keep you from having to build your own plunger to enable the fog lights:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7968011...kaAk27EALw_wcB

It's only like 10 doll hairs shipped. It would of been worth it the first time to not have to build my own solution that would eventually stop working.
Nice find!

FWIW, both my '11 3-series and my '11 1-series had the plunger in place already, even though they both had the tabs to keep the switch from working. Really baffling that BMW just didn't make rear fogs standard equipment - it had to have cost them more not to!

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilarskica View Post

One little quirk about this part that I learned is that the early build E90s have a slightly different design. I did this modification to my 06 325 built in 6/06 and sourced the plunger from a spare headlight switch assembly and it worked perfectly. I got the same plunger and went to modify my 330i (12/05 build) and the switches and rubber covering the switches on the circuit board are thicker than the newer builds. The four circular contact pads on the plunger for my fog light button were much thinner than the plunger on the newer switches, but I used a razor to trim the pads from the newer plunger to the same thickness and it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Nice find!

FWIW, both my '11 3-series and my '11 1-series had the plunger in place already, even though they both had the tabs to keep the switch from working. Really baffling that BMW just didn't make rear fogs standard equipment - it had to have cost them more not to!
I think BMW was smart about disabling the rear fog light feature for the US market. The typical American consumer who doesn't bother to understand their car can't handle that. Every evening I seem to get stuck behind an Audi or MB blinding me with rear fog lights on. I'm pretty sure they have to be explicitly turned on via a press of the button, so it's odd that so many people turn them on during perfectly clear weather.

Last edited by lowrydr310; 09-29-2020 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0