E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

06-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #5215
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
ATR = vaporware

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
1. ATR is very, VERY close! And not our usual "coming soon", but a real coming soon.
withdrawn, your honor
      06-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #5216
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 XI Coupe

Getting Cobb tomorrow / Cobb Questions

Should be getting the Accessport tomorrow. Bought it from someone here on the forum. Guys, can you please offer some advice/help with some questions? Sorry in advance if these have been answered in the 200+ pages in this thread!

I was running a DINAN S2 tune that I had on my car since I bought it. From advice I received from COBB, I had the car reflashed back to stock today ($200 $#@!) because the COBB will make a copy of my stock software which may differ from the "generic" version they have on the COBB when it doesn't copy the DINAN tune (in case I have to run it back to stock)

I have 3" AR DP's with AE Exhaust, Helix FMIC, Stock oil cooler, INJEN Intake. Its a 335XI auto transmission with 48K miles. I live in NY where I can get 93 Octane from the pumps. I am not running meth.

A few questions: Its a daily driver. I am not tracking the car. Yeah, I have fun driving it, but I am not out on the track. All street, and a lot of time stuck in NY traffic on my way to work! Anyway, whats the best map for me if I want the power and driveability, but not necessarily the most aggressive track map?

Do most people run aftermarket charge pipes and Diverter Valves with the tune? The peak boost I used to get running the S2 was usually around 13.5 but on occasion spike to 15 +. Whats the boost the Cobb will run? I would imagine it varies by map?

I am installing tomorrow. From reading the posts, it seems I should run a battery charger, leave the driver's window open on install.

Anything I should look out for?

REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS/HELP!!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #5217
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramp View Post
Should be getting the Accessport tomorrow. Bought it from someone here on the forum. Guys, can you please offer some advice/help with some questions? Sorry in advance if these have been answered in the 200+ pages in this thread!

I was running a DINAN S2 tune that I had on my car since I bought it. From advice I received from COBB, I had the car reflashed back to stock today ($200 $#@!) because the COBB will make a copy of my stock software which may differ from the "generic" version they have on the COBB when it doesn't copy the DINAN tune (in case I have to run it back to stock)

I have 3" AR DP's with AE Exhaust, Helix FMIC, Stock oil cooler, INJEN Intake. Its a 335XI auto transmission with 48K miles. I live in NY where I can get 93 Octane from the pumps. I am not running meth.

A few questions: Its a daily driver. I am not tracking the car. Yeah, I have fun driving it, but I am not out on the track. All street, and a lot of time stuck in NY traffic on my way to work! Anyway, whats the best map for me if I want the power and driveability, but not necessarily the most aggressive track map?

Do most people run aftermarket charge pipes and Diverter Valves with the tune? The peak boost I used to get running the S2 was usually around 13.5 but on occasion spike to 15 +. Whats the boost the Cobb will run? I would imagine it varies by map?

I am installing tomorrow. From reading the posts, it seems I should run a battery charger, leave the driver's window open on install.

You don't need the battery charger, i have done it multiple times and never used one.

You can run stage 2+ aggressive if you choose with your mods (DP's Intake FMIC)

I have Forge Dv's but I don't think you need them unless your Charge pipe or DV's are leaking
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #5218
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MW F80

Quote:

Im running stage 2+ sport (shitty CA gas) with stock DVs and Charge pipe and see 16-17+...I will upgrade when I do meth though...
      06-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #5219
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:

You should run either stage 2+ sport or aggressive. If you want to run Aggressive you need to data log to ensure your car/gas is up to par. If you need some help data logging check this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472
If you don't want to bother with logging just run sport.

I ran the stock charge pipe and DVs for months without issues. I only changed because of meth.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #5220
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
You should run either stage 2+ sport or aggressive. If you want to run Aggressive you need to data log to ensure your car/gas is up to par. If you need some help data logging check this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472
If you don't want to bother with logging just run sport.

I ran the stock charge pipe and DVs for months without issues. I only changed because of meth.
Thanks. I will probably run the sport since I drive it to work every day. I don't have any issues with boost leak now (would I have thrown a code or something?) Not sure if the boost gauge would show a leak? I have a rixter gauge. Was somewhat worried since 16 or 17 boost is probably twice the stock?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #5221
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
You don't need the battery charger, i have done it multiple times and never used one.

You can run stage 2+ aggressive if you choose with your mods (DP's Intake FMIC)

I have Forge Dv's but I don't think you need them unless your Charge pipe or DV's are leaking
Thanks. Hope I am not jinxing it, but I still have my stock battery. I may just throw the charger on there to be safe. Did you put the Forge DV's on due to extra boost from the COBB? I don't think I have any leaks now. Just concerned about the extra boost.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #5222
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstatestud88 View Post
Im running stage 2+ sport (shitty CA gas) with stock DVs and Charge pipe and see 16-17+...I will upgrade when I do meth though...
Looks like we have similar mods (DP's, intake, FMIC, etc.). What was the difference between the aggressive and the sport for you? Appreciate it...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #5223
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Thanks. Hope I am not jinxing it, but I still have my stock battery. I may just throw the charger on there to be safe. Did you put the Forge DV's on due to extra boost from the COBB? I don't think I have any leaks now. Just concerned about the extra boost.
I had a boost leak and thought it could have been the DV's, turned out it wasn't but I kept them anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #5224
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Thanks. I will probably run the sport since I drive it to work every day. I don't have any issues with boost leak now (would I have thrown a code or something?) Not sure if the boost gauge would show a leak? I have a rixter gauge. Was somewhat worried since 16 or 17 boost is probably twice the stock?
Sport is the perfect DD mapping, gives you plenty of power without being as brutal as the Aggressive setting. You won't know if there is a boost leak unless you're noticeable below the boost setting for that map (there won't be any codes). You should consider Impressive Autowerks (in Queens, NY) June Promotion on smoke testing ($50). By doing the smoke test, you'll be able to see if there's a leak and specifically from what connection.

As for boost, the Stage 2+FMIC Aggressive map peaks at 19 in the middle of the RPM range. Here's a thread that was recently started about what's a safe MAX for the OEM turbos (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698246), you'll see that 19.4 is a safe max. So running the boost into the upper 19s is kinda pushing it, 20+ and you've got two bombs waiting to detonate under your hood.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #5225
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If you have a boost leak(even a small one) you will more than likely trigger a 30FF code. The DME is pretty sensitive to not hitting boost targets. That's not a guarantee, I've seen a few people with boost leaks not throw a code. However, the inverse is FAR more common. People who don't even realise they have a boost leak will throw a code.

FWIW, I daily drive on stage 2+ Aggressive and love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #5226
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you have a boost leak(even a small one) you will more than likely trigger a 30FF code. The DME is pretty sensitive to not hitting boost targets. That's not a guarantee, I've seen a few people with boost leaks not throw a code. However, the inverse is FAR more common. People who don't even realise they have a boost leak will throw a code.

My guess is that I will probably go for the aftermarket charge pipe and DV's to be safe. Appreciate the feedback
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #5227
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Sport is the perfect DD mapping, gives you plenty of power without being as brutal as the Aggressive setting. You won't know if there is a boost leak unless you're noticeable below the boost setting for that map (there won't be any codes). You should consider Impressive Autowerks (in Queens, NY) June Promotion on smoke testing ($50). By doing the smoke test, you'll be able to see if there's a leak and specifically from what connection.

As for boost, the Stage 2+FMIC Aggressive map peaks at 19 in the middle of the RPM range. Here's a thread that was recently started about what's a safe MAX for the OEM turbos (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698246), you'll see that 19.4 is a safe max. So running the boost into the upper 19s is kinda pushing it, 20+ and you've got two bombs waiting to detonate under your hood.
Thanks. I am not too far from Queens. With the DINAN the most boost I got was usually 13 to 14. I will probably go for the aftermarket charge pipe and DV's to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #5228
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, a related question. I was reading about DV's and blow off valves. I went onto Mod Bargains and was reading about the TiTek Charge Pipe Kit (HKS N54 Super Sequential Blowoff Valve). The description said "What is the difference between a blowoff valve and a diverter valve?
Your stock N54 engine is equipped with a small restrictive diverter valve. The diverter valve actually diverts the compressed air back into the turbos, recycling the old air. Benefits to a diverter valve is that there is guaranteed no leakage, however you are losing horsepower by reusing the old compressed air, and actually putting more strain onto your turbos, reducing their life. Most people decide to just upgrade the diverter valve, decreasing the restriction, and to make sure there is no boost leakage, however you are still reusing the old air. Blowoff valves are by far more efficient however their downfall is that most leak, still reducing the systems efficiency. HKS has solved this problem with their Super Sequential Blowoff Valve that utilizes a dual stage pull type relief valve. With this it is physically impossible for this blowoff valve to leak, giving your turbo maximum efficiency, which means more horsepower to the rear wheels.
Is this the route i should go to protect against leakage and excess boost? Again, appreciate the input. Trying to learn and do the best thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #5229
sdstatestud88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MW F80

Quote:
Sorry, a related question. I was reading about DV's and blow off valves. I went onto Mod Bargains and was reading about the TiTek Charge Pipe Kit (HKS N54 Super Sequential Blowoff Valve). The description said "What is the difference between a blowoff valve and a diverter valve?
Your stock N54 engine is equipped with a small restrictive diverter valve. The diverter valve actually diverts the compressed air back into the turbos, recycling the old air. Benefits to a diverter valve is that there is guaranteed no leakage, however you are losing horsepower by reusing the old compressed air, and actually putting more strain onto your turbos, reducing their life. Most people decide to just upgrade the diverter valve, decreasing the restriction, and to make sure there is no boost leakage, however you are still reusing the old air. Blowoff valves are by far more efficient however their downfall is that most leak, still reducing the systems efficiency. HKS has solved this problem with their Super Sequential Blowoff Valve that utilizes a dual stage pull type relief valve. With this it is physically impossible for this blowoff valve to leak, giving your turbo maximum efficiency, which means more horsepower to the rear wheels.
Is this the route i should go to protect against leakage and excess boost? Again, appreciate the input. Trying to learn and do the best thing.
It doesn't really matter which way you choose to go...Most charge pipes are roughly the same just connect a little differently or have meth bungs in different spots. Whether choosing a dv or a blow off valve depends on whether or not you like to hear the "Whoosh" when you releave the pressure.
      06-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #5230
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

So I was reading what could be done during a protune, I saw you could adjust throttle position. So that got me thinking does that mean the tuner could possible make the map with a NLS function on it or make it so the throttle doesn't close between shifts. So that power shifts could be done?
      06-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #5231
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's all marketing. The DVs dump the air back into the intake immediately after the air filter, I find it very hard to believe it would have any appreciable affect on these cars. Other platforms it may, but not here.
However, HKS does make very high quality products. I suggest either using the HKS SSQV or the Synapse Synaptic. I'm a big fan of how the synapse functions and that's what I went with.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #5232
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
So I was reading what could be done during a protune, I saw you could adjust throttle position. So that got me thinking does that mean the tuner could possible make the map with a NLS function on it or make it so the throttle doesn't close between shifts. So that power shifts could be done?
I don't know if they can do NLS with the ATP software, I don't think they can.
However, you can use a WOTbox if want you NLS and can't wait for Cobb to release it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #5233
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

People with ca,ariz,Nevada gas (91) , how does your car run on the regular Sport maps? Do you find yourself limited to the less aggressive drive maps for safety ?
      06-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #5234
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
People with ca,ariz,Nevada gas (91) , how does your car run on the regular Sport maps? Do you find yourself limited to the less aggressive drive maps for safety ?
You need to log. In that situation there's no real way around it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #5235
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
You need to log. In that situation there's no real way around it.
I plan on it when I get my Cobb next week. If I'm limited to the drive map, I hope it will still be a big enough gain in performance to justify the price.
      06-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #5236
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
I plan on it when I get my Cobb next week. If I'm limited to the drive map, I hope it will still be a big enough gain in performance to justify the price.
Its probably best to go with an upgraded FMIC. Your car will than you and you'll enjoy the stage 1+ maps.
Appreciate 0