E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this torque converter slip?

05-02-2024, 04:00 AM   #1
hbs18
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dA (E92)

Is this torque converter slip?

Hi everyone, I've been trying to diagnose this issue with my car for a while now and could use some help.

When applying light throttle, the car seems to accelerate in bunny hops, rather than smoothly increasing the RPMs, as you can see in the video below. In the video I'm accelerating with a constant light pedal application - the revs start stumbling in second gear and seem to smooth out past 2100RPM. When it's stumbling along, it also often does not shift smoothly, and when I release the throttle it tends to jolt the car (unless I'm very slow and smooth with releasing the throttle, which I've already trained myself to do all the time). When heavier throttle is applied, the car accelerates fine and shifts perfectly smooth. My car is a 2007 320d with the ZF 6HP19 transmission.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1C-VIRhx1_o?feature=share

I'm led to believe that the car only does this when the torque converter is in lockup. It does not do this (at least, I can't notice it) in first gear, and when I accelerate harder. It also drives perfectly smooth on very cold days when transmission doesn't lock up the TC until it's warmer than 35C.

I've taken a data log of the TC turbine speed and engine speed. I'm accelerating with light throttle, and you can see the engine RPM bouncing while turbine speed accelerates smoothly. What this means I'm not sure, but I think there is a chance of the TC lockup clutch slipping (or something like that). At the end of the graph, I'm accelerating harder, which I guess allows for some torque converter slip and ends up in engine RPMs rising smoothly as well. There you can also see how engine RPMs behave oddly when I release the throttle.

The reason why I'm very confused about all of this is because the transmission has never had any issues where RPMs slip upward like a failing torque converter would typically act. There are no codes at all thrown by the transmission. I have also recently had a rough idle and a check engine light for low rail pressure, but I've replaced the fuel quantity control valve which made the idle better. I was convinced that this issue was also caused by the same thing that was making the engine idle roughly, but it seems this was not the case. The transmission has had its fluid replaced twice so far, and 200k kms is a bit early for the TC to fail.

Last edited by hbs18; 05-02-2024 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: Added some more info.
Appreciate 0