E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 stroker kit from Rebello Racing

04-05-2022, 02:19 AM   #45
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
I think this is great didn't know they made these stroker kits for n52. Thanks for sharing. For someone that can install by themselves it's even easier. Would you still be able to drive it with stock tune lightly say if it was a daily driver and needed to get it to dyno without towing?

Tempted.

Edit
Wait a min wouldn't the block have to be bored out more to fit bigger pistons?
If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it. It's not a simple DIY job, there's a lot of machining and custom fabricated parts. Not to mention all the extra issues you will have with the extra stroke. This includes excessive journal bearing wear and higher piston speeds. You will also not be able to rev as high, which makes more sense to swap a v8 if you want low-end torque especially since these kits are $$$.

These are not reliable and will require general teardowns depending on how hard you push them.

Instead of a long stroke, people generally opt for short-stroke and increase the bore and compression ratio. It makes the engine much livelier and rev-happy. Of course, it's very expensive to do as all of this is custom work, especially since the n52 isn't in any specific racing classes so there are no incentives for R&D except to sell to the public.

The 328i is good and has great balance, but it was never intended to be a full-on race car. If you could throw this in a 128i for 8k and get it down to 2800lb it might actually be worth it as a track car. The reason is that I'm not a big fan of n54 on track, even with extensive cooling mods, it cannot reliably run at over 400whp for 20-30 minutes before running into limp mode.

BTW the Noelle racing stroker kit was north of 15k for 300whp. I highly doubt a displacement increase of 10% will net you an increase of 50whp, performance custom camshafts, and expensive machining. All said and done, it will either fall short of your expectations or cost way more than expected. Selling the car and buying an e92 m3 is a better option. Even with all the issues the s65 has, it will be cheaper than trying to rig this up and then actually trying to daily drive it without running into any issues. I love NA engines over turbo engines, but this is just a bad deal especially when there's a factory engine that does what you want.

Last edited by aphael; 04-05-2022 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 3
Biginboca3766.50
Torgus3781.50
Noir883.00
      04-06-2022, 04:27 PM   #46
ram1boyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
http://www.rebelloracing.com/bmw1.htm

Anyone ever seen this? I've reached out to them to find out if it's for real - I would expect this is a crankshaft, rods, pistons and bearings for $3.8k.

StageFP already confirmed they could install it and tune it, and would be happy to do so. Total cost would probably be like 8k. I'm guessing output would be around 305hp based upon results from Noelle doing the same thing years ago.

Before you say "just drop in an N54" - No. The answer to that is *no*. I like my N52, and I like NA motors. I like the fact that I don't have a HPFP, injectors, turbos, or any of that other garbage that can fail. I like the fact that my car weighs less, and just has less fussy crap. I like the fact the N52 will do 300k miles if maintained well. The stroker kit may well reduce the lifespan, but honestly if I were to do this, I would still drive it like my little baby. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than upgrading to an M4 or 911.

Thoughts?
3 stage manifold, cold air intake, Milvs, catless headers, a tune, and a decent exhaust setup should put you at just about 300 hp for a fraction of the cost. N52 motors are great, although 8k is not reasonable for that amount of power
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 09:13 PM   #47
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
Stroker means increase stroke not bore.
I can't believe I'm saying this but I didn't realize that until I read your post
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 11:59 PM   #48
PhaceN52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 N52B30 US spec

Sorry for reviving this old thread but feels like this needs to be posted..

This german guy has an n52 stroker kit on what he calls a "332i", that seems accurate

That sound...
Appreciate 1
Mavus2038.50