E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New Dynavin N6 product sounds encouraging

06-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

http://www.dynavin.com/products/n6_e9x.php

This thread contains a lot of information about the features and the installation of the new (for 2014) Dynavin N6 double din nav head unit. The install reviews start on Page 21! Yes we were talking a lot about this new unit before anyone actually had one!

Last edited by cdgatti; 09-13-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

UPDATE:
I made an official superthread with all the info from this thread complied into one post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...8#post16367768

So this thread will continue to be useful for those that want the history and all the discussion that went into the new thread, but for those who want to just get right down to it, go to the new thread.

And for anyone looking to ask questions about their install, post their own pics or experiences, please feel free to do so on the new thread.

you guys didnt waste any time finding that!!!

Yeah, lots of info.... ask questions, I have answers. Keep in mind the forum rules about commercial threads though since this is the business Im in.....lets keep it Q&A. Commercial inquires can be done elsewhere, click on my signature.

I thought I would give you guys an idea of what the install is like....pretty straightforward. I didnt cover EVERYTHING here as there will be some variation between installs depending on what you are starting with and where you are going....but what I cover here is pretty universal to all installs and should give you a rough idea of what you are getting into.

starting point, its a good idea to lay down a towel over your center console to avoid any accidental scratches while you are working.

Carefully use a screwdriver or trim removal tool to pop out the trim around the HVAC controls, be careful and use a towel if needed so you dont mar any of the plastic.

Unplug the HVAC controls, these plugs use a little rotating lever to push the plug out of the controls, If your car has the second row of buttons below the HVAC unclip and unplug these as well:

Unclip the HVAC controls from its surrounding trim piece.

Take out the two screws under the stereo, pull it out and unplug it.

Take out the screws holding the radio bracket in the dash and pull the bracket out.

Now you have a big hole in your dash, at this point you want to route your ipod/USB/aux cables or whatever else you might be running in your particular install to wherever they need to go. Glove compartment is the obvious place but you can do console, storage cubbys, ashtray, whatever... You will also need to install the GPS antenna and bluetooth mic.

If your car has the second row of buttons this is also the time when you would do the relocation of those to the console ashtray area using either the dynavin replacement ashtray assembly OR the metra storage tray kit. Not pictured here but basically you pull up the top console trim, take out the ashtray and replace it with the button relocation solution of your choice.

In my personal car I snaked the GPS antenna lead up to the center dash location (where the center channel speaker is on a L7 equipped car), with the older dynavin units I had the gps antenna on TOP of the dash in this location as putting it under the dash reduced the signal strength, So far with the N6 it seems to be running fine with the GPS antenna stuck on the metal crossbar inside the dash, under the vent/speaker assembly. Since I DO have a center channel speaker I have the antenna pushed off to the passenger side so its not under the speaker.

For the mic, for best results you may want to play around with the location a bit, in my car I ran it up the pillar and to the oem location next to the sunroof controls, I like this location for cosmetic reasons BUT its noisy as the mic is up in a cavity in the roof, only inches away from the roof panel and sunroof, so there is wind noise. To combat this I looked around my garage and came up with a "macgyver" fix for it.... I had some 3/4" adhesive backed weatherstripping foam laying around so I cut some of that up and put it over the back side of the mic, insulating it from the noise from the roof of the car. You could use any number of things for this, I would think some of the thicker dynamats would work nicely as well.....even carve out an old egg crate mattress piece....basically any kind of sound insulating foam cut to the right shape and stuffed in there behind the mic would work. Just make sure the business end of the mic is facing the grill and the cabin.

UPDATE:

I spent a good chunk of time finding the optimum placement for the external Bluetooth mic. I set myself up a little science experiment with a couple phones, some headphones, and some highway miles. After trying every conceivable configuration I discovered a few things.....

The mic is VERY directional.....point it directly at you and your voice will loud and clear, point it sideways and you will sound distant, point it away from you and you will barely be heard.

The mic appears to use some passive noise canceling and works MUCH better if the holes on the back of the mic are uncovered.

I've been using my mic for years mounted in the stock location next to the sunroof controls, it worked ok but I thought it could probably be better. After experimenting and finding the noise canceling properties inherent in the mic design I now think its a good idea to have the mic exposed. I realize some of you guys won't like this location as you can see the mic, fair enough, but it really does work much better out in the open....

I took the foam cover off so it was smaller and used a black twist tie (that was tying up the mic cord) to wrap around it, make a little hook to keep it in place. For how much better it works I'm willing to compromise on having it exposed....considering its 5% the size of my radar detector right next it, and surrounded by various other black switches, lights, etc....I think I can live with it!

Take the HVAC controls and file off the corner of the tabs that stick out, this is not a critical part of the unit and allows the HVAC controls to fit correctly in the new trim piece as part of the dynavin. Holding the HVAC controls in position next to the dynavin should make it clear what needs to be shaved.

Snap the controls into the dynavin. Install the metal bottom clips onto the dynavin if they are not already in place.

Here is a picture of the main wiring harness and its connections on the E9X model, in this pic you can see the MOST interface at the bottom, it plugs in into the wire harness, the RCA outputs from the head unit, and once in the car, into the MOST fiber optic cable. At the top of the pic you see the canbus interface box, it just plugs into the dynavins main harness, done. To the right you see the main plug that plugs into the oem radio plug. And next to it you see the yellow constant power wire.

Dynavin has the harness set up with enough wire to reach the battery and the brief instructions that come with the unit say to connect to the battery.....of course any constant power circuit available in the fuse compartment will do the trick BUT finding that circuit in an E90 can be a challenge!

There are multiple fuse compartment configurations so what works for one person may not work for another. AND the E90 is tricky as it "goes to sleep" after 20 minutes so most of the circuits that look like constant power actually are not. This will result in the unit loosing some of its memory after 20-30 minutes. Finding a constant power source takes some trial and error.....I personally looked at the fuse chart....used my brain....a little bit of previous experience, and got a good constant power source on the second try. But keep this in mind....by the time you "trial and error" a few cycles of the car going to sleep, you could have easily run the power wire to the batter in half the time. So its up to you how you do it, but so long as its constant power you are good to go. More on this here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809672

Because I know you guys are going to ask anyway.....despite what I said above....here is a pic of the location that worked in MY CAR (2007 335). Taking a look at my fuse chart it corresponds to position 70, an engine related fuse location....although my fuse box has nothing in that slot. Same as I talk about below though, depending on how you connect in the fuse box you may need to add an inline fuse to protect the power wire in the case of a short. (see below)

An important point about wiring for you DIYers out there.....

IF you end up running the constant power wire back to the battery you MUST install a fuse at the battery end of the wire. Installers know this, we fuse EVERYTHING right at the battery, in the case of a short circuit all that happens is you pop a fuse, without the fuse in place you could have a fire on your hands. I realized the wire harness does not have one already and if you dont work in car audio or electronics you may not realize you have to put a fuse on everything.

So before you install, stop by your local auto parts store and grab an inline fuse holder, some 10 or 15 amp fuses, and some butt splices (or solder or whatever you have on hand, NO twist & TAPE!!!!).

we need to install one of these.....

Like this:

Now its safe to connect to the battery.

If you connect at the fuse box you can use a "fuse tap" (get this from your local auto parts store as well) and since you are connecting in the fuse box it will typically already be fused so you dont need to worry about doing a fuse on the wire.

I have talked to dynavin about adding a fuse to the harness in the future production to save you guys the trouble....but for now make sure you take the safe route and install a fuse.

Now its time to put everything back in, plug the radio antenna, the GPS antenna, the ipod/usb cord, etc...

Plug in the dynavins main wire harness and plug the canbus box into the harness as well.

Slide everything partially back into the dash and at this point turn everything on and make sure everything is up and running including the HVAC, if everything checks out, slide it the rest of the way back clipping the bottom spring clips into place and inserting the two retaining screws into place.

DONE!

A pic at night to show off dynavins new lighting scheme, auto dimmable backlight, great looking setup at night, no "LCD glow" at all! Small details but they make a HUGE difference in the day to day usability of a unit like this.

One note on a small speedbump I hit in my install.....I dont know if this will happen on all cars or if it will be specific to certain HVAC controls, years/models/etc....

When I first pushed the unit back into place, the bottom (the part by the HVAC controls) would not go all the way back into place, it was sticking out maybe 1/8". I started looking around and it appears the HVAC controls were a little too deep and they were hitting part of the dash behind them, keeping the bottom from going all the way back and being flush. Specifically this little ear inside the dash where to the oem radio bracket mounts was in the way.

Closer inspection revealed that the part was upholstered with foam and vinyl, AND had a plastic nub on it. Both of these factors added more than 1/8" of thickness to the ear and was keeping the dynavin from going all the way in. So I simply trimmed the upholstery and foam off with a utility knife.

Then I snipped off the plastic nub with some diagonal cutters and cleaned it up with the utility knife.

As you can see the ear is still there, its just doesnt have all the "stuff" on it getting in the way

Did the same on the left side and I was then able to slide everything all the way back into the dash and the fit was great

UPDATE:

Here is a quick look at some of the other car integrated features:

OBC data screen (update: now with US units)

OBC fuel data screen (update: now with US units)

HVAC display, pops up for a few seconds when you make changes to the HVAC settings (this can be turned off)

And not canbus related....you can set the boot screen to whatever you like. Put a picture file on a SD/USB drive and you can select it as your boot picture. I like the oem look so I did this:

I think I might like this one better though....

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-28-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

you have any info?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
jeffb335
Rep

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-23-2014 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Why no HD Radio ?

Why no HD Radio ?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Does it use the same harness (radio side) as the D99?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Did they finally fix the problem with the faceplate sticking out (not flush) from the dash at the bottom?
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Interesting Feature???

4. Support MOST solution for OEM DSP sound system��LOGIC7��

Any thoughts for the ?? Logic ??

http://www.dynavin.com/images/pdf/n6_owners_manual.pdf

Last edited by mweisdorfer; 06-03-2014 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Hmm... interesting!
      06-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Why no HD Radio ?
same reason as sat radio I suspect....limited market and low demand....they do support a DAB tuner (digital radio used in the rest of the world) but I have not heard any talk of HD radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
Does it use the same harness (radio side) as the D99?
No, the wiring is all new....there are some interesting wiring related tricks in this new unit so its got some specialized wiring that is quite a bit different than the standard car audio arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Did they finally fix the problem with the faceplate sticking out (not flush) from the dash at the bottom?
Yes, they eliminated the CD/DVD drive and were able to gain enough real estate to put a larger 7" screen AND fix the bottom fit that ALL previous units and install kits suffer from. There is going to be an external half din DVD/CD drive available separately that can be put in the glove compartment, under the dash, under a seat, wherever....

prototype pic but you get the idea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
4. Support MOST solution for OEM DSP sound system��LOGIC7��

Any thoughts for the ?? Logic ??

http://www.dynavin.com/images/pdf/n6_owners_manual.pdf
Yes, they have developed a MOST adapter so that this unit will work with the L7 amp. The L7 sound field functions are a feature of the stock head unit so you would loose those but between the dynavins EQ and time alignment features it can be dialed in to sound pretty good! Not to mention.....it sure makes an L7 install easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Hmm... interesting!
Indeed......I have a lot to say about these as I think they really fill a need in the E90 community but since Im not a sponsor here yet (im just BMS tuned E92 335i joe schmo owner here!) so we need to keep it strictly Q&A, at least for now no sales talk, keep that elsewhere, Im not hard to find.

Edit: Im a sponsor now....no longer a joe schmo

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-14-2014 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Very nice... I think this may be a bit redundant with iDrive tho :/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

OK, Q&A only. My first question... have they addressed the screen glare issue?
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
Very nice... I think this may be a bit redundant with iDrive tho :/
This is not meant for cars with idrive.....There is a different unit in the works though for idrive cars to bring the older versions up to current standards....but that is a different conversation for a different thread....and a different time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
OK, Q&A only. My first question... have they addressed the screen glare issue?
Not exactly.....how much glare you get on the screen depends on a lot of variables. They have gone to a mostly white on black color scheme maximizing contrast and visibility (the old D90 units were orange on black, pretty hard to see)....BUT if you have a light colored interior (like I do) and the sun is shining on your front seats lighting them up super bright, and your seating position is such that you get a reflection of the seats.....well NO screen is going to be able to defy those physics!

Now with that said, screen visibility is fine when the sun is shining on the screen or when you are going any other direction other than directly at the sun and your seats are lit up......at least that is my experience with my seating position, in my car, with my eyes.

Last edited by jeffb335; 06-10-2014 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
SCMalum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
This is not meant for cars with idrive.....There is a different unit in the works though for idrive cars to bring the older versions up to current standards....but that is a different conversation for a different thread....and a different time...
What is the timeline for the iDrive version? Curious over here, I have a CCC idrive, installing a TVandNav2Go so I can mirror my iphone display, but this sounds way cooler.
      06-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMalum View Post
What is the timeline for the iDrive version? Curious over here, I have a CCC idrive, installing a TVandNav2Go so I can mirror my iphone display, but this sounds way cooler.
frankly I dont know, but I assume the idrive units are on the same schedule as the rest of the new stuff.....probably will be rolled out with the rest of the units over then next couple months.

FYI, its the same unit as the E60 idrive unit....so its on dynavin's site under the E60.

Last edited by jeffb335; 06-10-2014 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
SCMalum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
frankly I dont know, but I assume the idrive units are on the same schedule as the rest of the new stuff.....probably will be rolled out with the rest of the units over then next couple months.

FYI, its the same unit as the E60 idrive unit....so its on dynavin's site under the E60.

Cool - good to know. Will keep an eye out. I'm curious how they will accomplish that, given that you'd likely have to relocate the CCC unit somewhere, or they have some magic up their sleeve.
      06-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #17
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMalum View Post
Cool - good to know. Will keep an eye out. I'm curious how they will accomplish that, given that you'd likely have to relocate the CCC unit somewhere, or they have some magic up their sleeve.
Its pretty straightforward actually.....just replaces the screen, and there are a couple wire harnesses involved. They keep the stock idrive intact....nothing changes there, but extra functionality gets added by adding a second "home screen" with the new functions.

The E60 unit has actually been out for a couple years now but it previously only supported the smaller screen versions, not the 8.8" widescreen.....so there was no demand for it on the E90s since they never had the small screen idrives (not in the US at least). Now that the new model supports the 8.8" screen I suspect there will now be some demand from the E9X guys.

But as I said....thats a different conversation for a different thread....and a different time since they dont actually exist yet.

Last edited by jeffb335; 06-10-2014 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Can you hook an aftermarket amp up like an ms-8 or rockford fosgate 363?

Can you hook up a reverse camera?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #19
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Can you hook an aftermarket amp up like an ms-8 or rockford fosgate 363?

Can you hook up a reverse camera?
Yes, its got a full set of RCA outputs, A/V inputs, video outputs, camera inputs, etc...

Ive actually got mine connected to a JBL MS-8 amongst other things....

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #20
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Jeff, are you running the new one in your car now? If so can I ask you to put up a pic?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Jeff, are you running the new one in your car now? If so can I ask you to put up a pic?
That pic above from dynavin's website IS my car. And yes its still in there, its a prototype, not a finished production unit, but its close enough.... so if there is something specific you want to see I can take a pic and post it later....

I was planning on posting everything in an "official" thread about these once I become a site sponsor....but this thread kind of forced my hand....so I guess Ill just go with it.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #22
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Major cudo's for and L7 adapter.

Major cudo's for and L7 adapter.
That should double sales for that one issue.
That is a big barrier for guys with pro radio and L7.
But how does it handle the multiple channels.
Since L7 has 9 channels and the deck almost all decks have

Also is the processor any faster.

I am guessing you would still need a parallel or
remount of the stock unit for car diagnostics .
Which is one of the major drawbacks to putting
aftermarket HU's in a BMW.

I am guessing its manual time delay settings and eq
any chance they can come up with optimum base
settings based on the basic car configruations. ie sedan , coupe ,wagon l7 no l7 .
For L7 I would think that would have to be a compromize as you wouldn't be able to control each channel from the amp out.

Last edited by ctuna; 06-03-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0