E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust camshaft implausible position? N52 330i

06-04-2021, 02:57 AM   #1
ro881e
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i N52 2007 M-Sport

Exhaust camshaft implausible position? N52 330i

Hi all,

Firstly, this forum has been an amazing resource for me this past year, took the time through lockdown 1.0 do do a load of DIY on my N52 2007 E90 330i AT @ 95kmi and guidance on here was simply essential.

So... I have had on and off the dreaded vanos codes 2A87 - researched the forum and YouTube etc and have done a fairly structured diagnosis and repair process to narrow it down, but I have reached the end and whilst there are loads of heads (I have read start to finish) on here similar, I'm not sure if the same exact question has come up, so maybe a new thread!

2 years ago:
2A87 exhaust camshaft - swapped and cleaned solenoids; worked for a bit but came back, so replaced the solenoids and the code went away

Last year:
2A87 code again, can't be new solenoids? So replaced the vanos check valves - they seemed pretty clean but did them anyway - code went away

Last month:
2A87 code and MIL. Cleaned and swapped solenoids, checked oil filter o-ring - all good. Code gone but not for long. It came back so I Did an engine flush liquimoly and oil change Castrol edge and new filter. Code gone. Thought might be camshaft sensors so swapped these too as they are interchangable. See if code follows.

Today:
2A87 code and MIL. I was lucky enough this time to see exactly when the MIL came on, was cruising 2k rpm and a small 'cough' almost like an auto gearchange and the light pinged on. Inpa output below - also prev Carly codes said camshaft angle was like 8000 degrees..!

I'm hoping it's not the bearing ledge, as I really don't want to remove the valve cover unless 99.9% necessary. I'm lucky enough to not have a leak there and hear of issues after people replace so if it ain't broke don't fix it

Other recent repairs:

New PCV system
New starter
New battery
New water pump
New thermostat
New OFHG and cooler gasket
New rear upper control arms
New aux drive belt and pulley
XHP stage 3

Any thoughts? Could it be the camshaft sensor wiring perhaps?

Thanks!
Robbie.
Attached Images

Last edited by ro881e; 06-04-2021 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro881e View Post
Hi all,

Firstly, this forum has been an amazing resource for me this past year, took the time through lockdown 1.0 do do a load of DIY on my N52 2007 E90 330i AT @ 95kmi and guidance on here was simply essential.

So... I have had on and off the dreaded vanos codes 2A87 - researched the forum and YouTube etc and have done a fairly structured diagnosis and repair process to narrow it down, but I have reached the end and whilst there are loads of heads (I have read start to finish) on here similar, I'm not sure if the same exact question has come up, so maybe a new thread!

2 years ago:
2A87 exhaust camshaft - swapped and cleaned solenoids; worked for a bit but came back, so replaced the solenoids and the code went away

Last year:
2A87 code again, can't be new solenoids? So replaced the vanos check valves - they seemed pretty clean but did them anyway - code went away

Last month:
2A87 code and MIL. Cleaned and swapped solenoids, checked oil filter o-ring - all good. Code gone but not for long. It came back so I Did an engine flush liquimoly and oil change Castrol edge and new filter. Code gone. Thought might be camshaft sensors so swapped these too as they are interchangable. See if code follows.

Today:
2A87 code and MIL. I was lucky enough this time to see exactly when the MIL came on, was cruising 2k rpm and a small 'cough' almost like an auto gearchange and the light pinged on. Inpa output below - also prev Carly codes said camshaft angle was like 8000 degrees..!

I'm hoping it's not the bearing ledge, as I really don't want to remove the valve cover unless 99.9% necessary. I'm lucky enough to not have a leak there and hear of issues after people replace so if it ain't broke don't fix it

Other recent repairs:

New PCV system
New starter
New battery
New water pump
New thermostat
New OFHG and cooler gasket
New rear upper control arms
New aux drive belt and pulley
XHP stage 3

Any thoughts? Could it be the camshaft sensor wiring perhaps?

Thanks!
Robbie.
The crazy angle is a clear sign you have a problem with in the sensor circuit.

As you have already swapped the sensors, check the wires and connectors. You can even pull the DME and check / clean the connectors on that.

INPA has live recording for these sensors, turn on that page and run the engine. A loose connection might show itself with wildly fluctuating values.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
ro881e
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Good thinking - so I did this and the setpoints follow the output pretty closely, look ok. I also ran the ISTA+ vanos diagnostic which came back all ok. I'm wondering if that weird angle reading was actually correct - I got it via Carly. The latest error shown in first post just shows a retardation I think. Bizarre!

So I'm.pretty sure it's not the solenoids, or sensors them selves, and if it's a wiring thing it's certainly intermittent. Not sure what comes next really.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro881e View Post
Good thinking - so I did this and the setpoints follow the output pretty closely, look ok. I also ran the ISTA+ vanos diagnostic which came back all ok. I'm wondering if that weird angle reading was actually correct - I got it via Carly. The latest error shown in first post just shows a retardation I think. Bizarre!

So I'm.pretty sure it's not the solenoids, or sensors them selves, and if it's a wiring thing it's certainly intermittent. Not sure what comes next really.
Run INPA and watch the actual values from the sensors. Shake the harnesses and see if they values jump.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 02:46 AM   #5
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 OG

It’s going to be your cam shaft bearing ledge.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 04:51 AM   #6
ro881e
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah it's looking that way... Dammit!

What is the actual fallout from not fixing this? If the code is intermittent and can be cleared easily (not even clear why the ledge scoring causes this code anyways) am I right in saying that it wouldn't be likely to be catastrophic in the short term? Maybe just wait until the valve cover inevitably leaks and do it all then...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #7
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Here is the original TSB.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SB-10032779-8218.pdf (96.3 KB, 174 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #8
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

At least if it were to be the ledge it's going to be in the exhaust side which allows for replacement of both bottom and upper tray. Intake side scored means you need a new head..
      08-02-2021, 04:42 AM   #9
ro881e
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys, good info. After running for a while the car defo seems down on low end power. Exhaust cam position slower to catch-up to setpoint than inlet whilst live monitoring. No engine lights but codes still throwing. I'm now in the dilemma of service and sell, or fix it. Looking through threads of this DIY, seems like a gamble that might not actually be the problem or indeed solve it. Is there any last diagnoses I might do to confirm beyond all reasonable doubt before I take the plunge?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #10
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

There is a low chance that it is actually the bearing ledge. It's not that common of a problem, most cars just get discoloration wear even with the metal seal ring.

I would triple check everything such as connector position and all that, also would be worth trying to reset engine adaptation values, maybe that would do something with the vanos settings. Sometimes when people clean solenoids and run them again they get clogged with bs from the check valves until they clean those.

If only the exhaust side seal was easier to check like the intake one.. basically removing the cam is not an easy job
      08-02-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
ro881e
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers, yes I was somewhat dubious at first. Car had been taken care of, good oil and service intervals no sludge etc hence I was surprised for sure. Probably cheaper and easier to double check all items first as you say. Will start back through the list and maybe report back

Intake check looks easy but yes exhaust is waaay more involved...

You mention connector position, can I ask what this refers to exactly? Do you mean checking the metal cam wheel through the sensor hole? I also see examples of vanos bolts shearing or backing out which can be diagnosed with cam cover off, but these engines seem to be way worse than mine. Runs ok and sounds fine!
Appreciate 0