E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Instrument Cluster Swap Question

09-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #89
HardCoal99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I'm stuck and could use some help.

I'm replacing my instrument cluster in my 2009 335xi with an identical donor unit (ZB 9187084-01). The donor unit had more miles, so I had to replace the EEPROM. Reset the VIN and mileage per procedure just fine on the EEPROM. Plug in the cluster and I get the correct mileage but tamper dot as expected.

I'm having issues coding the VIN through NCS Expert. I'm getting COAPI-2060... ERROR_ECU_UPLOAD_NOT_ACCEPTED.

In my HKOML2.dat file, I don't see a reference to my ZB number. I also don't see a reference in the history file. I'm using S_-DATEN v67.1.

I'm stuck and could use a knowledgeable nudge.
2009 335xi Le Mans Blue; JB4 - Map 5; flashed, VSRF DPs, VSRF Intercooler, transmission flash, VSRF chargepipe, LED interior, Angel Eyes, Glossy Black Grill, spolier, Rear Fog Light Mod, backup camera mod, 2020 Nav. Maps;
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #90
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoal99 View Post
I'm stuck and could use some help.

I'm replacing my instrument cluster in my 2009 335xi with an identical donor unit (ZB 9187084-01). The donor unit had more miles, so I had to replace the EEPROM. Reset the VIN and mileage per procedure just fine on the EEPROM. Plug in the cluster and I get the correct mileage but tamper dot as expected.

I'm having issues coding the VIN through NCS Expert. I'm getting COAPI-2060... ERROR_ECU_UPLOAD_NOT_ACCEPTED.

In my HKOML2.dat file, I don't see a reference to my ZB number. I also don't see a reference in the history file. I'm using S_-DATEN v67.1.

I'm stuck and could use a knowledgeable nudge.
How did you "reset" the VIN and mileage?

Did you read the bin from the original cluster?

Did you write a virginized bin to the new eeprom before using it on the replacement cluster?
      09-12-2020, 06:58 AM   #91
HardCoal99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Finally solve this.

1) Read original EEPROM from cluster to get my VIN value.
2) Took blank EEPROM and flashed it with EEPROM taken from donor cluster. Made sure to insert my correct VIN value and blank out the mileage before flashing.

Plugged the cluster in and everything worked. reprogrammed KOMBI just to make sure everything was ok and it did so without an issue.

Getting the needles back on just right wasn't a lot of fun. Using INPA to test their positions was very helpful. Best tip I could give would be to do one needle at a time, do the small needles first and when you first put the needles in, only put them barely on for testing. Pulling them all the way out from a fully down position is painful and unnecessary.

Thanks to many of the previous posters here. The comments were very helpful.
2009 335xi Le Mans Blue; JB4 - Map 5; flashed, VSRF DPs, VSRF Intercooler, transmission flash, VSRF chargepipe, LED interior, Angel Eyes, Glossy Black Grill, spolier, Rear Fog Light Mod, backup camera mod, 2020 Nav. Maps;
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #92
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Finally solve this.

2) Took blank EEPROM and flashed it with EEPROM taken from donor cluster. Made sure to insert my correct VIN value and blank out the mileage before flashing.

Plugged the cluster in and everything worked. reprogrammed KOMBI just to make sure everything was ok and it did so without an issue.

Getting the needles back on just right wasn't a lot of fun. Using INPA to test their positions was very helpful. Best tip I could give would be to do one needle at a time, do the small needles first and when you first put the needles in, only put them barely on for testing. Pulling them all the way out from a fully down position is painful and unnecessary.

All you had to do is remove the eeprom from your original cluster and move it to the the replacement, done. VIN, mileage, coding would all remain intact.
      09-15-2020, 06:19 AM   #93
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Quote:
Finally solve this.

All you had to do is remove the eeprom from your original cluster and move it to the the replacement, done. VIN, mileage, coding would all remain intact.
I suppose that's ok if you have no use for the original.
      09-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #94
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Finally solve this.

I suppose that's ok if you have no use for the original.
Apparently he didn't since he went out out his way to replace it with the same part number which is never necessary when replacing a cluster. Or since he had the ability to flash the eeprom he also had the ability to just erase the mileage and VIN in the replacement cluster, default code it, done.
      09-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #95
HardCoal99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I definitely made mistakes.

But I didn't have the ability to overwrite the protected EEPROM area that holds mileage. I'm thankful these forums allow us to learn from each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:10 AM   #96
bmw-extreme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

I don't want to spend time with eeprom programming. So what should I do to fully virginize (like a new factory condition) kombi? Is it enough to go and buy a new eeprom from ebay or aliexpress and replace old one with the blank one? Will it back kombi to factory condition with empty VIN and odometer? In this case, may I remount it just like a new kombi and code it in ncsexpert then. Thanks for reply, guys.

(Someone says its not enough just to buy a blank eeprom and solder it)

Last edited by bmw-extreme; 07-15-2021 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:14 PM   #97
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-extreme View Post
I don't want to spend time with eeprom programming. So what should I do to fully virginize (like a new factory condition) kombi? Is it enough to go and buy a new eeprom from ebay or aliexpress and replace old one with the blank one? Will it back kombi to factory condition with empty VIN and odometer? In this case, may I remount it just like a new kombi and code it in ncsexpert then. Thanks for reply, guys.

Remove the eeprom from your cluster
Remove M3 cluster eeprom
Solder your original eeprom into M3 cluster
Partly Reassemble, test needle position with online tools
Complete reasssembly

The only people that should be Virginising clusters might be those that sell them or do it as a service remotely for others
      07-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #98
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-extreme View Post

Remove the eeprom from your cluster
Remove M3 cluster eeprom
Solder your original eeprom into M3 cluster
Partly Reassemble, test needle position with online tools
Complete reasssembly

The only people that should be Virginising clusters might be those that sell them or do it as a service remotely for others
Switching eeproms between same model clusters will work but switching a non M eeprom to a M cluster or vice versa will cause a boat load of issues.

Likewise, using a blank eeprom will not work. Default coding only writes the VIN and coding parameters based on VO. There's much more info in a KOMBI bin and the cluster will not work correctly without it. You would need to flash it with winkfp first to write the eeprom with the bin
      07-17-2021, 03:48 PM   #99
WmStobbe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128, 2013 BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver m3 View Post
Has anyone in here done an instrument cluster swap?

I have an 06 E90 03 build and I need to put in a new cluster, so I am looking at ebay.
Of course the clusters on ebay arent the same mileage as my cluster and I am wondering if it will display a different mileage when I install the new cluster and will I have to go to someone to reprogram it or something?

Just dont want to end up with a discrepency between the actual mileage and the mileage that is say recorded on the title
Hi,
One Comment for you, the clusters seem to be coded to the type vehicle they come from. I bought a used one and could not use it because it kept complaining that my convertible top latches were not secured. Am assuming it came from a convertible and I have a coupe.

So you will need to confirm for yourself before buying from the seller.
Regards
Bill (2009 128 coupe)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #100
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmStobbe View Post
Hi,
One Comment for you, the clusters seem to be coded to the type vehicle they come from. I bought a used one and could not use it because it kept complaining that my convertible top latches were not secured. Am assuming it came from a convertible and I have a coupe.

So you will need to confirm for yourself before buying from the seller.
Regards
Bill (2009 128 coupe)

You couldn't use it because it wasn't virginized so it couldn't be coded for your car. Clusters are uncodeable until the old VIN has been erased. Once that's done they can be default coded and will work correctly and error free.
      07-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #101
Ceda
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i N53

Quote:
Likewise, using a blank eeprom will not work. Default coding only writes the VIN and coding parameters based on VO. There's much more info in a KOMBI bin and the cluster will not work correctly without it. You would need to flash it with winkfp first to write the eeprom with the bin
So when I have ordered new eeprom, you think that it will not works? What am i supposed to do? I have R270, will it helps? Insert blank eeprom into r270 or instal eeprom to the cluster board, connect it to the car and via OBD winkfp flash it as you say?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:45 AM   #102
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceda View Post
So when I have ordered new eeprom, you think that it will not works? What am i supposed to do? I have R270, will it helps? Insert blank eeprom into r270 or instal eeprom to the cluster board, connect it to the car and via OBD winkfp flash it as you say?
Read the bin from the eeprom in the original cluster with the R270, save it. Insert new eeprom into R270 socket, write the original bin to the new eeprom. Install on replacement cluster board.
      07-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #103
Ceda
Czech_Republic
Rep

Ok, thanks. But what benefits brings this solution? Like a layman its seem to me that I´ll get from virgin eeprom clone of old one eeprom..?

Im able to safe bin via R270 but im not able to change eg first two lanes of code and write it into eeprom. Also im not able to change mileges.

End of the day: I will make a backup from old eeprom, write it into brand new eeprom, instal on the board, instal cluster to the car. And after that will be needed coding clusters via winkfp?

Thx for your time & advise
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #104
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceda View Post
Ok, thanks. But what benefits brings this solution? Like a layman its seem to me that I´ll get from virgin eeprom clone of old one eeprom..?

Im able to safe bin via R270 but im not able to change eg first two lanes of code and write it into eeprom. Also im not able to change mileges.

End of the day: I will make a backup from old eeprom, write it into brand new eeprom, instal on the board, instal cluster to the car. And after that will be needed coding clusters via winkfp?

Thx for your time & advise
From what I understand, you're just trying to replace the cluster in your car. If not, what are you trying to do? The original bin is what you what to keep if you're just replacing a eeprom on the cluster. If you're replacing the cluster with a different cluster you would just virginize the replacement cluster, install and default code it, done.

I can't speak for your particular situation but the R270 will erase/change mileage as needed for 35080 and D80D0WQ eeproms. I've found 35080V6 to be very difficult. If you're replacing the eeprom then take the original bin, edit out the mileage and vin with a hex editor, and flash the edited bin to the new eeprom. Now you have a eeprom with 0 miles and a blank vin to use in your replacement cluster. If you're not sure how to do this you can send it to me and I'll do it for you, takes 15 seconds.
      07-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #105
Ceda
Czech_Republic
Rep

@LMB335IS
I want to swap my current cluster (pic 1) to used one with bigger display (pic 2).
So the process will be:
  • take eeprom from used cluster
  • make bin backup from used cluster (eeprom) via R270
  • use hex editor, erase first two lanes (I think) and writte it (via R270) into virgin eeprom
  • instert this eeprom to cluster and thats it

After this procedure I will have a cluster with 0 mileages and blank VIN. Mileages and VIN will be writted automaticly from CAS after I will instal cluster to the car?

Thx for your offer. I would take it, ff I were in US

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 03:45 AM   #106
Ceda
Czech_Republic
Rep

Hi guys!

So I had a time over the weekend to look at the gauge.
I made backup bin from stock gauge, edit it (00 into first two lines, FF to 2E0 line). Wrote it into brand new eeprom without any problem and after all I insered into gauge.

I connected gauge to 12v supply, berfore instalation to the car. They shows 999997 km. Everything looks good.

I instaled gauge into car and now I noticed 2x point of interest:
  • they showed 4 km more on oddometer, than stock one
  • there is red tamper dott

Ad first one = its interesting, but 4km more is no big deal for me.
Ad second one = is it due VIN mishmash, em I right? Im pretty sure it is. Because Im not sure what exactly to do with NSC expert. I opened the NCS, load profile and it shows the same VIN on FG line for each gauge (stock, new one).

//Now as Im writing this post, I'm thinking that search query "red tamper dot removal" maybe will be enough.. But if anybody has a step by step, easy to follow template how to make "SG_CODERIEN" via NSC expert, I would very much appreciate it.

Thx
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #107
Ceda
Czech_Republic
Rep

I have made it! Remove red tamper dot is very easy and you dont need NSC expert at all.

Maybe for someone will be helpful instruction:
  • take out eeprom from board
  • or buy new one eeprom
  • put it into r270, read bin, safe it and by online hex editor modify it
  • into first two lines write 00. Into 2E0 instead of puting FF, use hex decoder and write it your VIN directly.
  • if you write your VIN into 2E0 line, you won't have to use NSC expert to remove red tamper dot because there will not be any
  • save bin, write it into eeprom and instal back to board
  • thats it. Its done.

Im pretty happy, but some things will have to fine-tune. E.g.
  • cruise control marker is not exactly tied with speed. When I set it at 80kmph via perfekt toolbox, it show 90.
  • needles are a little crooked. (speedo, rev, fuel tank) //hope that both will be adjustable by perfekt toolbox
  • will have to again code instant fuel consumption

But one fault there is: when I release gas pedal, the rev needle returns jerkily. Its not smooth as when rev goes up.
See the attached video. Its not camera fault.

>> https://youtu.be/0r4g-Faeemw

Does anyone know why it is happening? Or (better) how to fix it?

Thx a lot!

P.S.
I changed econometr from l/100km to show oil temperature. 10 litres per 100km now represents 100°C. 15litres = 125°C and 20 = 150°C. Nice to have
Attached Images

Last edited by Ceda; 08-13-2021 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
k9043.00
      08-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #108
evominati
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

Glad you have done it, I have dealt with the same mess for my 320d going to 335d lci cluster. For the needle issue I think the motor is bad, try swaping the motor from your old cluster it might fix the issue or try playing with the "Damping factor" in Perfekt Toolbox.
P.S. don't mind the tamp dot, i have done the leds myselft too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 06:52 AM   #109
PandaNL
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 330e & E92 335i

Garage List
If i swap a MPH cluster to KMH, what needs to be done besides clearing vin and milage.

Is their anything I need to code to let it know it now has a kmh cluster?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #110
evominati
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

PandaNL coding to VO/FA
Appreciate 0