E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Eonon GA9465 and charging when using wired CarPlay

07-20-2021, 01:38 AM   #1
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Eonon GA9465 and charging when using wired CarPlay

I recently purchased a GA9465 mostly for the CarPlay functionality, but also for Bluetooth audio.

I haven't installed mine yet, but my buddy has, and he ran into a problem. On a trip down from OKC to Dallas, while using Spotify, he noticed that he had significantly less charge than he started with. I believe he has an 11 or 12 Pro or Pro Max. Personally, I have a 12 Mini.

We're assuming that the voltage coming out of the Eonon is just not very high, and there's really not anything to be done about that without trying to open up the head unit and get feisty, and neither of us is that good.

I thought about installing the Induktiv wireless charger (https://induktivcharging.com/collect...-charging-unit), but my understanding is that the iPhone will charge from only one source at a time, and it will default to a wired connection if one is available.

Anyone know if that's true, and does anyone have any ideas on working around this?
      07-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I mounted my GA9465 usb input very cleanly in place of the existing lighter -- but I haven't really played around with it enough to verify how well it charges.

My suggestion is to install Spotify on the GA9465 itself, plug the phone into a standard charger, and use the phone as a wifi hot-spot for the GA9465. I really don't see the need for CarPlay/Android Auto. I sent my wired adapter back unused.
Appreciate 0