E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is swapping HiFi speakers to Individual Audio (more or less) a direct swap for e92?

07-23-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
ironduke2010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 xDrive

Is swapping HiFi speakers to Individual Audio (more or less) a direct swap for e92?

How direct swap is replacing OEM HiFi speakers with OEM Individual Audio speakers?

It looks like I have a blown drivers door midrange speaker in my E92 with HiFi (So, only 8 speakers comprising of 2 front tweeters, 2 front midrange, 2 rear midrange, and 2 subs).

I hear good things about the OEM BMW Individual Audio speakers and I'd like to swap out all but the subwoofers. I do have a PP82DSP from this forum, with a harness from Technic installed years ago. Will this swap work?

Some questions:
1. Can i just get the IA midrange, IA tweeters and IA crossovers for the front and plug them into whatever wires are connected to the HiFi speakers? (ie, door wires to midrange, midrange to crossover, crossover to tweeter?)
2. If yes, where can I put the crossover? I don't think the HiFi's have a crossover, and, given I hear the e92 door card is tight, I'd like to know that I can fit the crossovers in with the OEM wiring someplace where I can get the door card back in.
3. Would the IA tweeters fit into the little "sail" where the HiFi tweeters are? (or do i need new sails?)
4. Is the step up to 4 Ohm resisitance in the IA speakers an issue compared to the 2 Ohm resistance in the HiFi's? (given I have the PP82DSP)
5. If I got the IA midrange with the coaxial tweeters for the rear sides, are those plug and play with the existing HiFi speaker wiring back there?

Any other fitment or electronic "gotcha's" I should know about?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

1) Hi Fi and I believe logic 7 had not real crossovers just a cap in line
with the tweeter. Only the IA has a real crossover.
2) There are plenty of examples in the threads here of where people put
crossovers some times they remove them from there case in the e92 and e93.
3) There are no separate part no's ever talked about for the sails.
4)82dsp is rated at 4 ohm should be much more than you had or would get in
Logic 7 as BMW fudges the specs on the Logic 7 and for that matter everything
there rated power rating is a 10 percent distortion.
5) Better to spend your money on better speakers for all the front positions and
forget about the backs.

You didn't say which system you started out with or am I missing it.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828244

Last edited by ctuna; 07-23-2021 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
ironduke2010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
1) Hi Fi and I believe logic 7 had not real crossovers just a cap in line
with the tweeter. Only the IA has a real crossover.
2) There are plenty of examples in the threads here of where people put
crossovers some times they remove them from there case in the e92 and e93.
3) There are no separate part no's ever talked about for the sails.
4)82dsp is rated at 4 ohm should be much more than you had or would get in
Logic 7 as BMW fudges the specs on the Logic 7 and for that matter everything
there rated power rating is a 10 percent distortion.
5) Better to spend your money on better speakers for all the front positions and
forget about the backs.

You didn't say which system you started out with or am I missing it.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828244
Thanks, I started with straight up HiFi (no nav, no "Top Hifi", not "base"). The only mod I have at the moment is the 82dsp (and harness).

As for the backs, I happen to already have a pair of IA mids with the coaxial tweeters. The HiFi speakers currently in the back have no tweeter at all (coaxial or separate). I think pysically it's a 1:1 swap there, but do I need to do anything anywhere to get the tweeters to work?

Right now I'm just planning on getting the IA mids, IA tweeter and IA crossover for the front doors. I didn't realize taking the crossovers out of the case was an option, but if it is, that might alleviate any fitment concerns. I know there is space in the doors, I just don't know what the OEM wiring will reach. I'm reluctant to splice wiring since I have no clue what effect that will have. Could I safely splice wires to locate the crossovers wherever there is space?

Good to hear the 82dsp has no problems driving IA speakers. I suspected as much but good to confirm.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The 1a crossovers are pretty small you shouldn't need to take
them out of the case but other aftermarket speakers have some pretty
big ones.
Appreciate 0