E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Gratuities

08-04-2021, 11:08 PM   #67
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

yes that works, my local homestyle cafe, I usually leave $10 once near xmas $20, it's just a full english brek,nothing special, so not very exp I think $10 is close to 40% ? I also did a write up on google, mentioned the waitresses name.

Next time I went in, she asked me, did you do a google review right ? Yes, I said, she just smiled, always remembers what I have and how I like it. She was always a nice waitress prior, I just get platinum VIP service now LOL

so yes, if your a regular and tip decent it does work to your benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
My wife and I eat lunch at the same places every Thursday and Friday. Our bill at one is usually around $14 and I tip $6. They always have our drinks ready as soon as we sit down and know what we want to eat. I pay the good tip for quick service, faster I'm out the door the faster I'm making money again.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #68
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I've often wondered why and what we tip based on. If service is average but food is delicious vs average food and great service, is there a difference in tip ... because most times that tip is going to the server only. If we tip because of some 'oh they are poor and I'm well to do I should do it for charity' mentality (which some of you seem to believe you are obliged to be doing it seems), then aren't the fast food, gas station food workers the ones who should be getting your largest tips.
Do you tip a mechanic who fixes your car first try and finds a few other things that where wrong too. Nope. He's satan. Fuckin' thieves.

I'm with the guy who says tipping should be outlawed It's a flawed system and the mentality of those who tip seems to be just as flawed.

Yes I tip at restaurants. I don't eat out frequently at all. I always tip pizza delivery, and cooks occasionally (having worked the industry I feel obligated). I have tipped fast food very rarely, I've more often paid for the meal behind me in line.

Customer service as an industry deserves far more income than they make. They are the ones dealing with all our BS and problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:14 PM   #69
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

^^^ iminhell1

I always assumed that a tip was for everything, food, service, wait time, getting your water poured, the cook, the washer-upper, so... if anything was off, I adjusted or in cases didn't tip, if the experience truly sucked.

So NOW and more recently I was advised the TIP is for the SERVER / WAITRESS, because he/she get's paid shit, as opposed to chef's and kitchen staff.

So you should not under tip for ANYTHING other than bad service, and somone said, you should still tip but talk to a manager.

Which is why the AUTO-TIP feels like a total scam.

If you made me tip your staff, WHY should I add a gratuity on at the end as well, that's double dipping nes pas ?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #70
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Here's another question , delivery charges...

pizza = $10
taxes = $xxx
delivery charge = $10 etc

DO YOU TIP ?
If the pizza is late do you tip or expect a reduction in price
I do tip, but unless I'm really hangry, I'll go pickup, as delivary charge and tip feels the same to me and a $15 pizza delivered get's expensive
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 06:18 AM   #71
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Far as I know (Dominoes), there was a delivery charge. That went to pay mileage. There was no auto tip. Things may have changed, other stores may be different (franchise), other companies may differ.

Cooks (not chefs) get paid shit also. All of your chain restaurants (Applebee's, BWW, Chilis, etc, etc) pay staff for shit.

And since we're on the charitable subject. Charity donations aren't always what you think either. The money you give can't be used for anything unless you specify it. It can't be used to pay bills unless you tell the it can. For the most part. Donations tend to go only for the thing the charity is for. Again this will vary but as a general rule.
Appreciate 1
nazali1298.00
      08-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #72
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
If we tip because of some 'oh they are poor and I'm well to do I should do it for charity' mentality (which some of you seem to believe you are obliged to be doing it seems), then aren't the fast food, gas station food workers the ones who should be getting your largest tips.

Do you tip a mechanic who fixes your car first try and finds a few other things that where wrong too. Nope. He's satan. Fuckin' thieves.
Those guys get paid more than servers...

As for a mechanic, I know plenty about cars, and especially my car to know if they are BSing or its an actual problem. If they went above and beyond to diagnose other issues, might give them a tip or a bottle or something. But since im typically my own mechanic, I always tip myself.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #73
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

As an aussie in north america I can say, without any doubt, Tipping is right up there as the absolute stupidest cultural habit I have ever seen. It sheer and utter lunacy.

I will never, ever agree with it, just pay a proper rate of pay. Absolutely loathe everything about it, it's completely crazy, you are all off your god damn rockers on this issue.

Same goes for hidden taxes, JUST LIST THE FUCKING PRICE FFS.
Appreciate 4
nazali1298.00
premier3is1630.00
HFW0035683.50
      08-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #74
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Another thing, the level of tip creep has been astonishing. 15 years ago it was 15pc tops, low as 10pc, now the credit machine tip STARTS at 18pc, then 20 then 25. You have to manually enter 15 and look like a complete fucking giblet if you don't like 18.

Absolute scam of the highest order.
Appreciate 1
nazali1298.00
      08-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #75
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Another thing, the level of tip creep has been astonishing. 15 years ago it was 15pc tops, low as 10pc, now the credit machine tip STARTS at 18pc, then 20 then 25. You have to manually enter 15 and look like a complete fucking giblet if you don't like 18.

Yup, here in NC (mainly in the more hipster areas) I have been to some places where the credit card machine STARTS at 30%. BTW this was at a fucking FOOD TRUCK that already charges pretty crazy prices.

I have also seen where at the same place they will flip the screen over for one customer to select the tip, but for another customer they don't flip the screen and instead ask them would you like to leave 30%, 25% or 20%?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #76
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

As I said earlier, when I was in oz a while back a cabbie point blank refused to take a tip, telling me it not how they do things down under

and 2 sales tax, like WTF is that all about, in the UK you don't have to think about a price or calculate it, boots £25, then you pay £25 , in NA, Boots $40, oh good,, oh wait thats $50.xx total mind fuq, don't know why that's done

Quote:
As an aussie in north america I can say, without any doubt, Tipping is right up there as the absolute stupidest cultural habit I have ever seen. It sheer and utter lunacy.

I will never, ever agree with it, just pay a proper rate of pay. Absolutely loathe everything about it, it's completely crazy, you are all off your god damn rockers on this issue.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #77
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

here a fre years ago, it used to be 13%, min of 10%, easy enough, as I could look at my bill see what the sales tax (as tax was also 13%) and work it out on that.

but yeah I've seen that on the machines, 18% and up, or the option 4 for your own %, or pay in money as opposed to a %

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #78
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

In australia you have a flat sales tax across the whole country. In america, you have differing sales tax in nearly ever city/county. wouldnt work the same.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #79
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
In australia you have a flat sales tax across the whole country. In america, you have differing sales tax in nearly ever city/county. wouldnt work the same.
This is a microcosm the US system where too much is left to piss ant city government to handle not enough is federally mandated.

Your entire way of doing things is incredibly complex and cumbersome, the inefficiencies and bureaucracy are incredible.
Appreciate 2
nazali1298.00
premier3is1630.00
      08-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #80
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This is a microcosm the US system where too much is left to piss ant city government to handle not enough is federally mandated.

Your entire way of doing things is incredibly complex and cumbersome, the inefficiencies and bureaucracy are incredible.
when your country is as big as the US, and as diverse as the US, having the feds blanket mandate things doesnt work. What works for one area doesnt always work for another.

My state/city/county knows what it needs, and how much it needs to pay for it, so them setting a sales tax that accurately reflects that is much better than the fed gov can.

Id much rather pay a few % sales tax that covers my area's needs, than a much bigger sales tax % that covers the needs of everywhere, but is more than what my area needs.

if you look at the population of australia, then look at it more as a state in the US vs the US as a whole, it is similar to what the states have set up.

Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8782.00
      08-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #81
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'm utterly gobsmacked that Alfisti hasn't made his way into this thread yet.

I mean, I know what he's going to say in terms of his general sentiment on the matter, but I don't know what flowery language he's going to sandwich the sentiment in between, and his creative use of the English language is what I enjoy most.
Quote:

Quote:

Was not disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #82
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Id much rather pay a few % sales tax that covers my area's needs, than a much bigger sales tax % that covers the needs of everywhere, but is more than what my area needs.

if you look at the population of australia, then look at it more as a state in the US vs the US as a whole, it is similar to what the states have set up.
I see where you're coming from but man, it's an astonishingly inefficient system, especially once you roll in all the cities doing their own thing too.

Why there needs to be a city based police force is beyond me, the duplication in gun contracts, administration, clothing contracts etc must be incredible.

Back to tipping, it's become so expected that it can, through sheer definition, no longer be used as a reward for better service. The entire notion is null and void right now and the entire process is nothing but a nuisance. Not expecting it to change because, much like guns, culture is culture, doesn't mean it isn't stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #83
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

When I get the bill eating out and the suggested tip includes the tax on the meal, that right there automatically sets my tip at 15%. If they are honest about the suggested tip and don't calculate it including the tax, I tip 20%. I'm fed the fuck up having to tip all the time.
nazali1298.00
      08-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #84
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

you can STILL incorporate the tax in with the cost

let's say ST is 10% in NY and 15% in MI

I buy a product in NY at that sales tax, or if I order from FL I get charged the NY sales tax, whats the issue with inc the sales tax into the price i.e. £10.99 (inc. VAT) as opposed to $25+ tax..

It's purely a sales ploy making you feel like the item is cheaper

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #85
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post

I buy a product in NY at that sales tax, or if I order from FL I get charged the NY sales tax, whats the issue with inc the sales tax into the price i.e. £10.99 (inc. VAT) as opposed to $25+ tax..

It is a sales ploy and it CAN be done if they wanted to especially for the bigger companies. I actually noticed last time I was at the Waffle House of all places, they had a new menu and it said prices included all taxes. Somehow they managed to figure that shit out.
Appreciate 1
nazali1298.00
      08-05-2021, 03:57 PM   #86
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post

Agree 1000%.

I look through odd eyes, at home the price IS THE GOD DAMNDED PRICE.

Buy tyres here. $200 tyre right? Nooooooooooooooooooooo. Add 13% GST, add eco fee and add disposal fee, now you're at well over $250.

This north american habit of just listing a base fare with none of the other compulsory fees attached is such an attempt at making it look cheaper than it is.

The question I have is, if the base pay is so appalling, and it is here anyway, I think servers make what $11 or something but at home they easily make double, if not more. Point is, why are prices still so dang high?

I just took a random test and looked up a mid range family run Thai place in Toronto and one in Sydney, the prices were as I expected. Beef Massamun Curry is $19 in Sydney, so it totals, well it totals $19.

In Toronto it is $17. Now, add 30% (bare minimum) for tax and tip and you're out $22. But, rent is higher in Sydney, the wait staff are literally making double the hourly wage, the dishwasher will be making near double and a lot of places are not subsidised by the huge cost of alcohol as they are BYO.

It's nuts.

Last edited by Alfisti; 08-05-2021 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
nazali1298.00
      08-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #87
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
When I get the bill eating out and the suggested tip includes the tax on the meal, that right there automatically sets my tip at 15%. If they are honest about the suggested tip and don't calculate it including the tax, I tip 20%. I'm fed the fuck up having to tip all the time.
Miami beach area. To be clear I did NOT want to go but...wife. Fuck me dead, HUGE auto gratuity and they still expected a tip, was there for 4 days so chucked on a little extra to make sure my food was not spat in but jesus H what a colossal scam.
Appreciate 2
nazali1298.00
DocL1927.00
      08-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #88
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Agree 1000%.

I look through odd eyes, at home the price IS THE GOD DAMNDED PRICE.

Buy tyres here. $200 tyre right? Nooooooooooooooooooooo. Add 13% GST, add eco fee and add disposal fee, now you're at well over $250.

This north american habit of just listing a base fare with none of the other compulsory fees attached is such an attempt at making it look cheaper than it is.

The question I have is, if the base pay is so appalling, and it is here anyway, I think servers make what $11 or something but at home they easily make double, if not more. Point is, why are prices still so dang high?

I just took a random test and looked up a mid range family run Thai place in Toronto and one in Sydney, the prices were as I expected. Beef Massamun Curry is $19 in Sydney, so it totals, well it totals $19.

In Toronto it is $17. Now, add 30% (bare minimum) for tax and tip and you're out $22. But, rent is higher in Sydney, the wait staff are literally making double the hourly wage, the dishwasher will be making near double and a lot of places are not subsidised by the huge cost of alcohol as they are BYO.

It's nuts.
This is what I found on a shopping day in Miami downtown,a price tag on something yet at the counter extra to pay..tax,what? Should be full price on the tag.
Appreciate 0