E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Manual seats to manual with lumbar?

11-10-2020, 04:30 AM   #1
rpg
Ireland
Rep
Drives: E38, E39, E91

Manual seats to manual with lumbar?

I did search but couldn’t really find an answer for my particular setup!

I had a seat of manual non sport seats - basic model no electric parts. I picked up what I thought was fully manual seats but it turns out they appear to have lumbar adjustment (electric) also. Picture attached.

I understand there’s a retrofit kit for lumbar but of course I have most of the parts already.

Has anyone completed such a swap, I’m hoping there isn’t too much work involved?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I did a lumbar retrofit into power seats. In this case, since the seats came with it, assuming all of the wiring and the control box is still there, all you should need is power and ground to the connector under the seat. It's all self-contained other than that. You can get the pins for the car side of the connector from BMW and make your own harness. My car already had power seats so I just tapped into the power and ground on the seat side of the harness.

Makes a HUGE difference to have that lumbar adjustment. The seats in my car were like torture devices without it. BMW USA in their infinite wisdom made the lumbar support part of the premium package, not the power seat option.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 03:16 AM   #3
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
I did a lumbar retrofit into power seats. In this case, since the seats came with it, assuming all of the wiring and the control box is still there, all you should need is power and ground to the connector under the seat. It's all self-contained other than that. You can get the pins for the car side of the connector from BMW and make your own harness. My car already had power seats so I just tapped into the power and ground on the seat side of the harness.

Makes a HUGE difference to have that lumbar adjustment. The seats in my car were like torture devices without it. BMW USA in their infinite wisdom made the lumbar support part of the premium package, not the power seat option.
I have sport manual seats, no lumbar. is it possible to retrofit lumbar into those?
      12-29-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphael View Post
I have sport manual seats, no lumbar. is it possible to retrofit lumbar into those?
yes