E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > '11 328i Xdrive won't start; No obd codes, Jump didn't work

11-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
RockCamBender
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Xdrive

'11 328i Xdrive won't start; No obd codes, Jump didn't work

Hey

I have a pretty weird situation and I'm just trying to make sure that I'm heading in the right direction. This is my first BMW and I've only had it for a year, so I'm not crazy knowledgable. Here's the situation...

Its been driving fine for the most part for the past few months, but it did have a couple of no crank no starts in the past couple of weeks; which it ended up starting immediately after. Also it has been having a few rough idles, I wasn't getting any codes but I figured I would have to replace my spark plugs/wires soon. It also (the day before it wouldn't start) starting to have a cable whining noise which would not go away. No check engine light but I did have a couple BMW codes relating to my rear brake pads, and it would not let me reset it. Recently had an oil/filter change. It has 76k miles. Was running errands the other making about 3 stops...on the 3rd after returning to my car it would not crank; I can hear the fuel pump though. No new codes, tried jumping it and it didn't work. So far I've tried disconnecting the IBS, disconnecting the battery for a few mins then reconnecting, checking all of my fuses (theyre all OK), and tried resetting all BMW codes. It does show a red service light which I'm assuming is for the rear brake code which is at 5k, as well as the car on a lift which also gives a code signifying brake pads.

I checked several forums and they got me this far. I'm still assuming its my spark plugs or starter; but the confusing part is, I hooked up an OBD reader and it is not giving me any codes for my engine or ECU. Could this still be a spark plug/starter issue without having any codes? After trying multple things I started getting codes related to my battery being depleted to quickly and it being low.

Thanks for any insight...I'm just confused on the no codes part, I would think that it would show some for the starter at least, or have saved codes for the spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Regarding the brakes, it will not reset unless you have replaced the wear sensor cable with a new one. Plenty of DIYs on this, so watch them first otherwise you'll end up needing another cable by messing it up.

Regarding the battery, you should probably get it tested by removing it any taking it to an autozone or a Walmart. Checking the voltage won't necessarily let you know if there are enough amps left in the battery. Also, look at the manufacture date on the battery. If it's more than 4 years old, it's probably a goner.

Incorrect ignition will throw a ton of codes, so it is unlikely your plugs.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
RockCamBender
Registered
Rep

Nothing working so far

I replaced the battery, which definitely needed to be replaced as it was 10 years old. But this still has not solved the issue.

Still no codes on the OBD scanner but its giving me a new "4x4" warning.

I've tried disconnecting the IBS, Keeping the ignition on 1 before connecting the battery, connecting the battery negative first with nothing changing.

I don't hear any clicks but I do hear what I think is the fuel pump engaging.

When running the OBD I get back some monitor "inc" and failures

IBS ok
FUE ok
CCM ok
CAT Fail
Evap Fail
Air INC
O2S Fail
HRT Fail
EGR Fail

As long as I'm reading this scanner correctly. Has a green check next to the "Ok" and Red "x" for the fails.

Still stuck on thinking it might be the starter or plugs but I don't hear any clicking no crank and I have no codes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCamBender View Post
I replaced the battery, which definitely needed to be replaced as it was 10 years old. But this still has not solved the issue.

I've tried disconnecting the IBS, Keeping the ignition on 1 before connecting the battery, connecting the battery negative first with nothing changing.

IBS ok
FUE ok
CCM ok
CAT Fail
Evap Fail
Air INC
O2S Fail
HRT Fail
EGR Fail

As long as I'm reading this scanner correctly. Has a green check next to the "Ok" and Red "x" for the fails.

Still stuck on thinking it might be the starter or plugs but I don't hear any clicking no crank and I have no codes.

Whenever you disconnect the battery it's going to come up with a bunch of errors. 4x4 is one of them. I don't know which tool you are using, doesn't sound like Carly, INPA or ISTA which are the ones I'm familiar with. In any case, however you clear the codes with your OBD scanner, do that and scan again. You might have to drive it for 4x4 to go away also, but it will.

Also, you might want to invest in a diagnostic solution designed for BMWs if yours isn't. That may be why you're not pulling any codes.

Just to confirm, you registered the battery correctly, right? That wouldn't have an affect on the starter, just battery performance.

Aside from that... relays/fuses.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
gbmw311
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9802 330ci vert, E2%80

Garage List
2002 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCamBender View Post

IBS ok
FUE ok
CCM ok
CAT Fail
Evap Fail
Air INC
O2S Fail
HRT Fail
EGR Fail

Whenever you disconnect the battery it's going to come up with a bunch of errors. 4x4 is one of them. I don't know which tool you are using, doesn't sound like Carly, INPA or ISTA which are the ones I'm familiar with. In any case, however you clear the codes with your OBD scanner, do that and scan again. You might have to drive it for 4x4 to go away also, but it will.

Also, you might want to invest in a diagnostic solution designed for BMWs if yours isn't. That may be why you're not pulling any codes.

Just to confirm, you registered the battery correctly, right? That wouldn't have an affect on the starter, just battery performance.

Aside from that... relays/fuses.
Deteriorating ground strap maybe? I'd definitely look at that.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
RockCamBender
Registered
Rep

Not started yet

I'm using a small Napa OBD scanner by Carlyle. Its very basic and only cost about $40 so I'm not too into it. When asking the guy helping me with it, he said this should be fine as long as I can look up the codes online, this will give me codes for any care I plug it into "even a bmw". He didn't seem too happy that I asked about it, like I was stupid or something. Which I mean, I just don't really know anything about BMW so I had to ask. But it seems like this may be the reason I'm not pulling codes?

I checked all fuses/relays and they all look great, almost brand new. Same with the ground strap.

Still at a loss. I'll upload a pic of my OBD scanner giving me the I/M readiness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #7
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

No idea. I've only used tools that are specific for BMWs on BMWs. Can you borrow a proper tool from a friend, just to eliminate the chance that you are missing some of the codes? INPA and ISTA are basically free minus the cable, BTW.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 01:09 AM   #8
DougNBodie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [10.00]
I have a diesel and if I don't put some DEF in it and it runs dry....It will not start until I fill it with DEF again No matter what! Is there anything on the 328i that would cause this non start issue? I was thinking battery ground wire as I had a recall on that. You have power by the sound of it, just no cranking so probably the starter.
Appreciate 0