E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N52 starts and immediately dies

02-16-2021, 09:31 PM   #1
RaiXeron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Alright so, I'm having an issue. Decided to change the valve cover and while doing so, broke my ccv hose. So, I said screw it and decided to buy a new ccv beens the car was gonna be down anyways. Well I put everything back together and the car was surging at idle. Power wise, it honestly felt like it had more than it did prior (took it out for a drive just to see if the car needed to relearn it's fuel trims due to disconnecting the battery).
Next morning, went to start the car and it started surging again sept this time it was rough and had very little power just sitting there. Decided to change out the vanos solenoids just cause I had an extra pair just sitting around. That didn't change anything. Ran codes on the car and got a code saying 2A9F (camshaft, exhaust, synchronization)
So, I decided to order new camshaft sensors for the inlet and exhaust. I replaced those and NOW the car starts, and it starts strong BUT it'll immediately die after 2-3 seconds of running.

Here's a list of literally everything I did (maybe not in order)
Replaced oil filter housing gasket
Removed intake/supercharger hoses/vacuum lines
Removed throttle body
Unplugged 3 wires for the ccv (lower hose wire, upper hose wire, ccv canister wire)
Removed ccv hoses
Removed intake manifold
Disconnected battery
Removed positive wire near engine (to make room to remove valve cover
Removed coil pack plugs/coil packs
Removed grounding cable from coil pack wiring harness
Removed coil pack wiring harness from valve cover (still connected to car)
Removed fuel injector plugs
Removed valve cover
Replaced all gaskets and seals for everything that had it prior to putting everything back on
Cleaned throttle body (it was already clean just wanted to do it cause I could)
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned all electrical connections with electrical cleaner (let everything dry out while working on other things)
Then just repeat all that sept in reverse.
Like I said, car ran great and had loads of power minus the idling issue
Replaced vanos solenoids
Replaced camshaft sensor (inlet and exhaust)
(Put old vanos solenoids and old camshaft sensors back in to see if the problem were those. Nothing changed)

Anyways, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm at a complete loss at the moment
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:38 AM   #2
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiXeron View Post
Alright so, I'm having an issue. Decided to change the valve cover and while doing so, broke my ccv hose. So, I said screw it and decided to buy a new ccv beens the car was gonna be down anyways. Well I put everything back together and the car was surging at idle. Power wise, it honestly felt like it had more than it did prior (took it out for a drive just to see if the car needed to relearn it's fuel trims due to disconnecting the battery).
Next morning, went to start the car and it started surging again sept this time it was rough and had very little power just sitting there. Decided to change out the vanos solenoids just cause I had an extra pair just sitting around. That didn't change anything. Ran codes on the car and got a code saying 2A9F (camshaft, exhaust, synchronization)
So, I decided to order new camshaft sensors for the inlet and exhaust. I replaced those and NOW the car starts, and it starts strong BUT it'll immediately die after 2-3 seconds of running.

Here's a list of literally everything I did (maybe not in order)
Replaced oil filter housing gasket
Removed intake/supercharger hoses/vacuum lines
Removed throttle body
Unplugged 3 wires for the ccv (lower hose wire, upper hose wire, ccv canister wire)
Removed ccv hoses
Removed intake manifold
Disconnected battery
Removed positive wire near engine (to make room to remove valve cover
Removed coil pack plugs/coil packs
Removed grounding cable from coil pack wiring harness
Removed coil pack wiring harness from valve cover (still connected to car)
Removed fuel injector plugs
Removed valve cover
Replaced all gaskets and seals for everything that had it prior to putting everything back on
Cleaned throttle body (it was already clean just wanted to do it cause I could)
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned all electrical connections with electrical cleaner (let everything dry out while working on other things)
Then just repeat all that sept in reverse.
Like I said, car ran great and had loads of power minus the idling issue
Replaced vanos solenoids
Replaced camshaft sensor (inlet and exhaust)
(Put old vanos solenoids and old camshaft sensors back in to see if the problem were those. Nothing changed)

Anyways, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm at a complete loss at the moment
Try replacing the crankshaft position sensor, it's a PITA though as it's under the starter. I a was able to get it from the top, be careful not to damage the wire.
Appreciate 0